Mini Mistake

Oldynewby

I've just started my Tamiya Mini build and have comitted a slight faux pas with the engine. If anybody can spot it I'll change it, otherwise I'll leave it alone.

n629506902_628832_4501.jpg

Also, does anybody have an opinion on which colour to paint the car? The options are:

Tartan Red/Black roof

Old English White/Black roof

Almond Green/White roof

Dove Grey/White roof (My current favourite)

Island Blue/White roof

Edited by Oldynewby

I never had a mini, though I had a couple of Morris Minors, and I can't remember what the engines looked like now except that they were small, ran sweetly and leaked oil.

As for colours, I have two suggestions:

BRG with Union Jack on the roof

Yellow with black roof, and Mr Bean in a lounge chair on the roof steering with ropes

That would be my guess as well

I just had a sneak under the bonnet my mine, I can't see anything obviously wrong with your photo!

Is the kit a Mk.I with the "moustache" grille? If so I would go for grey with white roof, the 60s Minis do look rather elegant in those subdued, almost pastel colours.

Cylinder Head is the wrong way round, Ive rebuilt enough of them poxy engines, the inlet & exhaust manifolds go on the rear of the engine tight upagainst the bulkhead :yikes:

Bexy

cylinder head on the wrong way?

I don't think it's that.

I built a (RWD) kit car around that engine, and everything looks in the correct place to me.

Don't think the alloy rocker cover would be painted engine green though - left natural metal from the factory.

What year is this Mini?

I think it needs the alternator option rather than dynamo - especially with that rocker cover.

I don't think it's that.

I built a (RWD) kit car around that engine, and everything looks in the correct place to me.

Don't think the alloy rocker cover would be painted engine green though - left natural metal from the factory.

Give that man a cigar! :smartass: Yes I painted the alloy rocker box green. The original cars (this is a '63) had green rocker covers but they were pressed steel so it either needs reshaping or putting back to alloy. Thanks to all who entered but there can only be one winner. The fact that he hasn't actually won anything is immaterial.

I think I'll paint it grey. I agree with Jonathan.

Give that man a cigar! :smartass: Yes I painted the alloy rocker box green. The original cars (this is a '63) had green rocker covers but they were pressed steel so it either needs reshaping or putting back to alloy. Thanks to all who entered but there can only be one winner. The fact that he hasn't actually won anything is immaterial.

Thanx Oldynewby - mine had a pressed steel cover, which I painted red and put a Ferrari sticker on.

The old 4 cylinder Ferrari in the world!

If I'd found an alloy cover, I'd have used that - and polished it every Sunday morning!

I think I'll paint it grey. I agree with Jonathan.

OH GOD_ youre JOKING- I thought you hadn't started to paint the details yet!!!!

normally the cover would be crackle black and polished alloy fins, or just overall polished alloy- grrrr

and Im looking for something unusual

git git git

• 6 months later...

yep that alloy sport rocker cover was only fitted to late mini/metro a+ engines early models would be green pressed steel types the dynamo would be correct for an early mini

mini and minor engines are difrent a series engines as a mini is a transverse engine and minor is an in line a series