BIG Tornado ECR!

Hi Britmodellers!

Kicking off this thing as a practice build before  going all superdetailed on the RAF one.

Building mostly from the box with the addition of Paragon seats and flap/slats. Using the kit Tigermeet decals, which must be among the most ambitious sets of decals ever put out by a model manufacturer!

Here's the cockpit as supplied by Revell, it's great stuff! Considering what you pay for Tamiya's kits, the pit is every bit as good as their F-4J Phantom. 

Front office

DSCN2256

Backseater's office

DSCN2257

Front instrument panel

DSCN2261

And the back

DSCN2260

Neil's MB 10 seat (jawdroppingly good casting!)

DSCN2262

And the lot dry-fitted

DSCN2264

The cockpit was painted in Gunze Mr Color Light/Dark Ghost Grey and washed with oil paint. Detail painting on the panels was HU 33 Matt Black and Xtracrylic Neutral Grey and Insignia White dabbed by cocktail stick. The seats were painted Vallejo Air Barley Grey and Dark Sea Grey, backs Tamiya acrylic Olive Drab, belts Tamiya acrylic Dark Yellow and Khaki. Metallics were my old fave Gunze Mr Metal Color Aluminium, Brass and Chrome Silver.

The dark nonslip floors were approximated with a small square of 1200 grit paper from Halfords stuck on with white glue.

Used Merv's pictures for reference (cheers for posting them, invaluable stuff!) and others off the net. I've also got the old Aeroguide book on the GR.1 (all black and white pics, but good for surface details.

Cheers, 

Al

Cheers folks, i will try not to mess it up - my usual track record is to do well initially, then cock it up right at the end!

Keep you posted,

Al

Looking forward to it Al! :D

If you have a cat, be careful - apparently felines don't like the competition from a big Tiger, just ask Bex!

Ow Do Mr. PHatNess, thats looking rather nice that is :popcorn: & :beer: at the ready for this one.............

Now then, if as Martin has enquired you have a moggy, I suggest you superglue the little git to the floor :yikes: as my Felix has hammered my 1:32 Tiger Tonka into a few pieces, set up your barbed wire, guard dogs & machine gun nests asap :mg:

Bexy

Gonna build it from the box with the slight addition of Paragon seats and flap/slats (and that's a nightmare waiting to happen!!).

Al

No probs, if you do have any mis-haps with the resin bits I can send the odd replacement to you when I get back off hols.

Looking good :) .

B)

Hi folks,

glad you are going to join me on this, it's feeling like a good one so far.... large, wordy update coming up!

Joined up the fuse - needed a bit of bracing to stop the bottom of each half from wanting to bend upwards. Weighted the front with batteries embedded in Milliput, with the bracing sprues going through it to avoid the "rattler" effect. 

DSCN2266

This bit fits together quite well, not the usual big scale gap-fest on some of the other bits!!

DSCN2269

This is why it's called the Fin! I had to add a small 0.3mm plastic card shim at the front end to get a snug fit with the fuselage. The seam all round the fin is all puttied & sanded down smooth now, it was a bit rough and gappy!

DSCN2270

Took the slightly unconventional step of fitting and gluing the big fin while the back end was still on the sprue - it fits quite snugly and needs some pressure on it which wouldn't be possible when the two fuselage halves are joined.

Speaking of which, the rear fuselage will almost certainly need some bracing with sprue as it is a big empty box with a massive fin and two heavy wings attached to it. 

The tailerons are also a bit rough - the starboard side fitted OK with a nice sharp trailing edge, but the port side had a lot of flash and the trailing edge had the scale thickness of a house brick! 

Got cracking on Neil's excellent flap/slat set - the cuts were no problem, spent a lot of time avoiding major cockups:

DSCN2268 

If you do use this set, don't forget to put supports in the wings middle and back halfway along or it will sag in the middle!

DSCN2265

Slat and flap tracks fitted - i'll add the actual flaps and slats at the end or i'll just keep knocking them off!

DSCN2271

The middle and outboard flap tracks need a little bit cutting off the forward end to avoid interference with the wing interior, and also need a slight shim where they meet the underside of the wing to keep the wing thickness flush with the end of the flap track: (profile view below)

Neil said:
No probs, if you do have any mis-haps with the resin bits I can send the odd replacement to you when I get back off hols.

:thumbsup: thanks a lot Neil! Hopefully won't need to take you up on that! so far so good...

.....although I took a risk by separating all the flaps to get a better "look" as they are separate on the real thing:

DSCN2273

Getting a lot of time to crack on with this (mornings and evenings!!) so expect update soon!

Cheers hope you are still awake!

Al

Weighted the front with batteries embedded in Milliput, with the bracing sprues going through it to avoid the "rattler" effect (right Bex?)

13-6.jpg

Cheers hope you are still awake!

Al

Al, looks amazing so far matey :thumbsup2: Dont want another rattler now do we :lol: One question though, are you sure batteries are a wise idea? What happens if they leak :yikes:

Bex

Thanks Bex!

What happens if they leak :yikes:

Bex

Dunno is the short answer!

Never had trouble before, used alkaline ones for years, always a first time though!

They can leak and I sure have had some alkaline batteries leak. I wouldn't use them.

Al,

:ditto: Just lost a radio because of leaking Duracells - if you can, remove them and use something else. It wouldn't be nice to see your completed masterpiece eaten up by caustic battery products :(

HTH,

Ian

Al,

:ditto: Just lost a radio because of leaking Duracells - if you can, remove them and use something else. It wouldn't be nice to see your completed masterpiece eaten up by caustic battery products :(

HTH,

Ian

I thought I wasnt dreaming........... :sorry: Al

Bexy

Slightly dull update, made a bit more progress with the Paragon bits:

The wing fold gloves are more accurate but therefore much bigger than the Revell parts - the parts need to be shortened by approx 3mm to fit the gap between the wing and the recess so some cutting required!

DSCN2276 22

I also removed about 2mm from the lower fuse half to accommodate the wingfold. 

21  23

I reinforced the taileron link through the fuselage with extra rods of sprue as it is a bit bendy on its own. In this case it's redundant as the tailerons will be fixed in the depressurised position anyway.

As a final reinforcement I set two rods of sprue across the inside of the lower fuselage half where the wings will be attached and where the landing gear will fit to add structural strength across those two load-bearing areas. Hope it works!

Next step - assembly of the major parts!

Cheers,

Al