Mig-37B 'Ferret E' Italeri 1/72

Didn't know where to post this one? Sci-Fi/What If/Aircraft?? :shrug:

Anyway, I suddenly realised that I always post pics of my builds without any work in progress shots. This is a sort of compromise. It's nearly, but not quite finished.

Italeri 1/72 Mig-37B 'Ferret E'

Had this kit in the stash for years. I wanted to do something unusual, and not worry about the normal research/accuracy/find the correct colours of your average build.

So, here we go!

P5050001a.jpg

Test-fit the main parts and cut off the silly sticking out lights from the wings and tails.

Chopped the tip off the tails. (Then regretted it!)

Scribed a couple of panel lines.

Decided 'Ivan' no longer wanted to fly in a Tucano. :)

(As you see, He's been at the bottle)

P5100009a.jpg

Parts went together OK. Added some 'Gubbins' behind the cockpit to liven it up a little. Cut a hole under the front canopy for some sort of 'targeting doo-dad'. Quick slap of paint.

P5150016a.jpg

Little bit of filler here and there. Glue down the canopy. Try to get the join line on top of the fuselage to disappear! :fraidnot:

Painted wheel wells and air brake in Humbrol acrylic red. (Oh, and note the results of spilling liquid glue over your cutting mat!!)

P5160021a.jpg

Quick once over with Tamiya surface primer. On with the (extremely hurried and rough) pre-shading. (Which later turned out to be a bit of a waste of time).

P5170030a.jpg

Coat of Xtracrylix 'Light Grey' and masking begins. Tamiya tape cut into small strips, than cross cut at 30 degrees.

P5170034a.jpg

Coat of 'Neutral Grey'. Mask. Coat of 'Dark Grey'. (Pre-shading now virtually disappeared!)

P5170036a.jpg

P5170039a.jpg

One huge pile of masking tape later.

And that's as far as I've got at the moment. Just got to tidy up some overspray, add a bit of weathering, gloss, decals and job nearly done.

:)

Mart

• Like 2

Some seriously impressive masking there Mart, you must have the patience of a saint to have pulled this camo off. Nice one!

Thanks for the replies. :)

you must have the patience of a saint to have pulled this camo off.

Hardly mate! It only took a couple of hours to mask and spray the whole thing start to finish! :D

Xtracrylix is pretty quick drying. By the time I'd cleaned out the airbrush it was ready to mask.

I love reading how some people leave their paint to dry for days before they mask. As long as you're careful you can get away with it.

Mart

Thats just brilliant Mart!

The scheme is called 'Digital camo' And is very effective!

The scheme is called 'Digital camo' And is very effective!

A quick Google for 'Digital Camo' led to this http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77011

I think I've just wet myself.... :blink:

Just given the Mig a once over with Klear. Now I can't decide what markings to put on??

Standard Russian stars or Polish chequers?

Whatever I choose, It's going to get a shark mouth! :P

Mart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...