HMS Belfast

Bennygman

Ok, in a rash of patriotic fervour I decided to get down my Belfast kit and the etch I bought at SMW2006, opened, looked at and then put away (trembling).

Hopefully the Gb (GB Gb?) will be the incentive I need to get on with it.

Now the fun part; I've never built a ship before.

Actually that's not quite true, and I've actually built this kit before; about 30 years ago, along with 'Ark' and 'Fearless'! It would be more accurate to say that I've never built a ship since I've been concerned about the outcome. Could be a right laugh this one, but whether it ends in triumph or disaster, it'll be shared here.

I'll put up some pics at the weekend to show the pre-start position.

Steve.

Thanks Phil, questions to follow very shortly!

Well, so much for the pre-start shots. I got all carried away and here's where we are at the mo'...

belfast1.jpg

Nothing much is glued here, just taped and placed in position so I can get an idea of the seam work required. The front of the bridge looks a bit gruesome! I plan to paint in layers (decks?) and assemble the finished units so the fit need to be right at this stage.

I couldn't resist assembling the beautiful little WEM catapult ...

belfast2.jpg

It's a lovely little thing, but will hardly be seen once the ship is assembled. Here's the hole cut in the deck ready for it...

belfast3.jpg

I'm thinking I might cut back the rear deck a mm or so to try and give a view of the girders under the cat', seems a shame to have it completely hidden.

Now, questions for the ship experts out there (which compared to me is just about all of you :winkgrin: )

1. The painting instructions and box art suggest the gun decks should all be wooden, but there's only 'planking' texture on the main deck suggesting that the others should in fact be steel - any ideas?

2. Any suggestions how to attach etched railings? I'm thinking it's a good idea to have a fold at the prow rather than trying to join two sections, but apart from that I'm trying not to think about it too much. To be honest it scares the willies out of me!

Hope you enjoy the pics and any suggestions are very gratefully accepted.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Paul, although some of the pics in the ATF gallery make it look even more intimidating :D . I have a cunning plan involving brass rod 'pins' to make the attachment of the railings easier, which may or may not work, but in my mind's eye it's a winner.

I realised I didn't post a box pic' so here it is in all it's glory...

belfast6.jpg

This week I've mainly been sending myself blind assembling 1:600 scale cranes and pom-pom guns! Hopefully they won't look completely pooh once painted :wacko: . Technically I believe I should use the 8 barrel ones in company with the large aerial arrays on the masts, but I think the four barrel ones have assembled much better. Assuming I don't stuff the aerials this will have a non-prototypical fit, but should look the business (he said, optimistically).

belfast4.jpg

belfast5.jpg

Hopefully I can start getting some paint onto the decks this weekend.

Steve.

The brasswork looks great Steve :thumbsup2: Have seen a few of the completed models on the WEM website and have always fancied having a go one day. Enjoying watching your build and think it might just tempt me over the edge!

Gary :)

Thanks guys, nothing like a bit of encouragement to keep me going when next peering at a tiny bit of metal. Next etch job should be the scarff rings and guns on the Walrus! :wacko:

Gary: I take no responsibility if you decide to build a ship, that must be a conversation between you and your eyesight! :D

Steve.

Hi Steve.

Nice work on the Belfast mate.

Do you know where I can get piccies of her in Korea as I would like to do her as she was at that time mate for my Korean War display.

Sorry Daz, I meant to reply to this a few days back.

Not being a 'ship guy' normally, I'm a bit stuck for references. The best suggestion I can give is to type 'Belfast Korea' into Google images (but you've probably tried that already). It comes back with a few interesting pics,most of which seem to be form Korea (unfortunately, as I'm doing the WW2 version).

Incidentally, on this day 64 years ago she was launching the opening salvos on D-Day.

Thanks to everyone who's looked in on the build so far.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Daz, I would suggest you PM Davecov over at ATF. I don't think he has looked into BM lately, but he posted on ATF this morning. If he doesn't have any reference pics I'm pretty certain he would still be able to point you in the right direction.

peebeep

Hi Steve.

Nice work on the Belfast mate.

Do you know where I can get piccies of her in Korea as I would like to do her as she was at that time mate for my Korean War display.

Hi Daz,I believe there are several photos of her in the `Warship Profile`taken during the Korean war.Also I`ll check in the Raven&Roberts book `British Cruisers of WW2`.I think it has a plan of her from Post 1945 configuration,but before she was rebuild with that square bridge,Cheers Phil

hi Daz again!I`ve the R&R Cruiser book,but ,unfortunately it doesn`t have a plan of her at that time,However the `Warship Profile` contains 5 views of her taken off Korea in 1950.These are IWM photos so they may be on their website,Bye Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

• 2 months later...

Hi again chaps. Firstly apologies for not having updated the thread in two months <_<

However, I've not been idle and the ship is beginning to look quite warlike now. Here's a few pics of what I have a nd some of the sub-assemblies waiting to be fitted. There's not actually too much more to do, but as it's all fiddle etched stuff like aerials, I'm only working on it when I feel like it so it'll still be a while. Still two months to go though, so I don't anticipate any problem with the deadline.

onto the pics...

belf0101.jpg

belf0102.jpg

belf0103.jpg

belf0104.jpg

belf0105.jpg

The colours are the recommended Humbrols from the Airfix instructions, so may not be spot on for accuracy, but I think the overall result is quite pleasing. Can't help thinking that I need to come up with something better presentation wise than the Airfix stand though.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates recently chaps.

The Belfast is all done but for an overall flat coat which will be applied at the weekend. Oh, and I need to paint the stand too (it'll just be the basic Airfix one, but it should look ok I think).

I May now be able to attend in person on the Saturday, but work can't make their minds up at the moment. Assume it still needs transport for now. In the event things get a bit thin on the ground I have a couple of Xtrakit Meteor F8's in 64 & 65 sqn markings which I'd be happy to lend to the display. Not official GB entries, but were built during the same timescale if that helps.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Ok chaps, this is as finished as I can get it. Much better than I feared it would end up, but still room for improvement next time around...

IMG_5236.jpg

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5242.jpg

Steve (bolts back to the 'comfort zone' of aircraft models).