My two Builds

Seamus

Here we go then, with what are in my opinion two of the greatest aircraft in history. Onto the obligatory box and sprue shots :)

Airfix harrier........its big!!

DSCF4322.jpg

DSCF4323.jpg

DSCF4324.jpg

And the excellent Revell Hunter

DSCF4325.jpg

I'm normally a quick builder, so I'll do my best to pace myself and try and make the builds last til the end of the GB, but no promises!

Both will be built OOB I suspect, which is a touch annoying as the Hunter will probably have a better detailed cockpit! I thought about getting the Flightpath set for the Harrier, but I just can't afford to spend £60 and at the same time risk ruining the model. Hopefully though, I'll try something to improve the pit; not much experience at doing this but I'll give it a good go! Hopefully those of you on here who are Harrier experts will be able to guide me as the build progresses.

Thats it for now, hope to start building in the near future.

Cheers

Shaun :)

Good luck on those 2 ..Funny enough I have the Harrier kit myself ... watch out for the weak undercarriage

But builds up into a nice looking kit

As for the Hunter well you'll have no problems with that one ..great little kit ..But get plenty of weight in the front

She's a bit of a tail sitter

Thanks for the tips.

I built the Harrier a few years back, so am aware with the U/C weakness, could pose a bit of a problem......certainly did on the last, which has since been condemned to that place no model wants to go :evil_laugh:

Hmmmm, just been having a look at the heritage stuff, not too bothered about the intakes, but i do like the look of the cockpit and u/c for under £20, something I could maybe stretch too. I'll put some thought into it

A bit of a contrast in sizes on those two, but at least you shouldn't get the bits mixed up. :analintruder:

Ha, not a chance mate :lol:

I've decided I may as well go for the Harrier Heritage cockpit and U/C sets. I'm thinking the U/C is a neccesity, and thought while I'm at it a nicely detailed cockpit wouldn't go amiss! Could be the difference between a decent model, and a pretty decent model! :)

Am nearing the end of my current P-47 build so reckon I might make a start on the engine within the next couple of days, see how things go though

Just a very small update on the Harrier, the engine mechanism has been installed and the two halves cemented together (I reckon the Pegasus engine alone reflects the very best of Britishness :)). I'd like to keep the mechanism working as it would be nice two have all four nozzles move in unison; so far so good! Though I thik some sort of lubricant may be needed. Also had to do a touch of filling due to my stupidity putting the beast together :doh: So that will need sanding back as well.

DSCF4371.jpg

Regarding the Heritage conversions, I placed an order on Thursday, and they arrived this morning; excellent service :) HEre's a look at them

DSCF4370.jpg

DSCF4369.jpg

Having never used resin before, I am loving the amount of detail in this parts, really should finish the beast off nicely. However, I'm also a bit wary of using them, so any tips and advice would be much appreciated!

Hope to get the bulk of the engine construction completed before painting it, though this may have to wait until I get hold of some more shades of Alclad.

Cheers

Shaun

I don't know what instructions Heritage give you, but since it's your first use of resin, I offer the following advice just in case you aren't aware:

1. Take care cutting resin parts from the casting blocks. I use a stainless etch razor saw (Verlinden, I think).

2. Imperative to thoroughly clean the parts in soapy water and then either spray Iso Propyl Alcohol on them or let them soak in it for a minute or so, then drain on an absorbant towel.

3. Primer coat of paint is advised - e.g. H33, H34 or H64

The parts do look good, don't they!

I don't know what instructions Heritage give you, but since it's your first use of resin, I offer the following advice just in case you aren't aware:

And one from me, make doubly sure the parts fit properly before doing any painting - and then double check again. This will apply especially to the sidewalls which will probably need to be thinned down and possibly the fuselage halves will need this too, in order for everything to fit in.

I've not used Heritage resin, but based on my experience of Aries and CMR (two of the best) don't assume anything will fit until you've seen it for yourself.

Oh, and wear a mask, resin dust is nasty stuff.

Steve.

Resin dust IS nasty stuff, so if the weather permits, I always cut & sand outside, and even then I wear a respirator. Mind you, I do use a Dremel for all my pour stub removals :wicked:

Cheers for the advice chaps!

Spent most of yesterday cutting and sanding the pieces from their castings, which if I'm honest is not the most enjoyable way to spend a days modelling when you don't have the use of a dremel :shithappens: Plenty of elbowgrease required

Still need to thin down the IP and sidewalls properly and do a touch of surgery on the fuselage sides so it sll fits in snuggly.

I'll post some pics when its all done and everything fits as it should.

Cheers

It's not even much fun WITH a Dremel. :S That's the biggest drawback of resin parts, that and resin makers not retiring their moulds when the start to deteriorate. That and resin makers that don't test fit their parts in the kits, resulting in paper-thin fuselage or wing parts (Aires were kings of this back in the day).

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition :wicked:

Progress!

Spent the last two days cutting, sanding, trimming and shaping the resin components. Not the most enjoyable task, but hey-ho its gotta be done.

Here's the dry-fit of the tub, rear bulkhead and side walls in the forward fuselage.

DSCF4374.jpg

DSCF4373.jpg

Overall the fit is pretty good; the only question mark being over the join between the side walls and the bulkhead. This is particularly noticeable on the port side. A bit more work needed here, although once the bang seat is in it should be partly hidden anyway. Talking of which, here's how it looks in the tub.

DSCF4376.jpg

The wheels have been cut to shape and require a touch more sanding. I have also drilled a whole through the upper part of the nose gear for the white metal lower half to plug into

DSCF4377.jpg

The biggest issue concerns the resin IP coaming.

DSCF4379.jpg

DSCF4380.jpg

The coaming supplied by Heritage is quite a bit smaller than the kit equivalent and as such does does not at all well around the IP

DSCF4385.jpg

DSCF4382.jpg

I'm thinking its probably best to do a bit of surgery and pillage the surface detail from the resin coaming and attach it to the surface of the kit part; should save a big headache it trying to fill that chasm ;)

So, once a bit of further tidying up is done, I shall clean the parts and prime them. Regarding construction, I'm unsure whether to prime and paint all the pieces separately or glue them together first. The latter is not a problem regarding the tub and bulkhead, but I'm thinking it would be best to keep the sidewalls separate and glue them in once the fuselage is closed together. The problem here though is that attending to the gap mention above will be much more difficult.

Answers on a postcard please :)

I shall probably leave this for a couple of days and concentrate on the F-7U-3 I've also got on the go.

Cheers

EDIT:forgot to add, if anyone has any pictures of GR.3's that they don't mind me using for reference, specifically of the cockpit and seat, U/C bays, engine bay and the Pegasus itself, I'd hugely appreciate having a look at them. TIA

Edited by Seamus

Looking good Shaun. A quick heads up about the airbrake and bay for when you get to it. The opening in the kit is much too large and ignores the fact that the outer and aft edges of the airbrake overlap the fuselage surface. The aft edge of the bay should line up with the aft edge of the rectangular avionics panels either side and above it and the width of the bay is about the same as that of the main landing gear bay. The bay itself is much deeper than the kit part, has a number of longitudinal members (that I think are visible in some of the reference pics people have sent you) and houses the operating jack. If not, shout and I'll see what I have.

Hope this helps. I'll get back to mine now. Only a few years more and it will be done...

Thanks for the heads up :)

Hopefully there will be some good reference pics in the book Mike is ending me; if not, I'll take you up on your offer and give you a shout!

Cheers

Shaun

Shaun,

Just scratching away at mine this week and have a bit more for you re the airbrake bay.

There are a couple of panel lines that run either side of the underfin parallel with it. These are too low down on the kit. If you take a straight edge and lay it from about a couple of mm above the rear corner of the existing line to the rear corner of the main landing gear bay and mark a line with your pencil, this is pretty much where the real line should be. The edges of the airbarke bay should lie along this line (making the bay narrow than in the kit).

The sides of the bay slope inwards (I realised this too late for mine) and the floor is flat with a small access panel between the ribs.

I ought to get around to taking some pictures and starting my own thread so I can show you what I mean but this is unlikely to be before next weekend.

Cheers,

Kirk

No rush Kirk mate, when I get round to doing anything, it'll only be on the cockpit and engine, so in no real hurry to get the airbrake sorted. From what you've said though I'm thinking it would be more than beneficial to have a look at any pictures you've got whenever you're ready :)

Cheers

Shaun

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a while, so here's a small update on the Harrier. For whatever reason, progress is going very slowly, but I've now got the engine all painted up using various shades of Alclad. Annoyingly, some of it lifted with the removal of the masking tape, even after a coat of Klear, so that will need to be touched up (althought the area on top is covered by the accessory gearbox so I shall probably just leave that :wicked:)

DSCF4631.jpg

DSCF4629.jpg

Here it is with the gearbox in place just for show.

DSCF4632.jpg

Think I'll give it an oil wash and apply some weathering as it looks too new at the moment. Could also do with a matt coat in places just to dull it down a bit. Shall also try my hand at some scratch building, by adding a bit of piping around the gearbox, just to busy it up a bit.

Comments appreciated as always

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, though not really worthy of any pictures just yet. All the lovely resin pieces have been primed, so I'm ready to start painting the cockpit.

A quick question for the experts, what is the right colour for the cockpit interior? Airfix suggests MSG, though from looking through (a lot) of pictures, it looks much darker to me, maybe DSG for dark gull grey.

TIA

I shall probably leave the engine inspection panel un-glued so that it can be removed and the engine can be...well...inspected! ;)

There's also the possibility of leaving the entire wing unglued, though I doubt thats too good an idea :fraidnot:

Glad you like the engine too :)

• 1 month later...