Coningsby heeeaaaavvvvyyyyyyy metal.

Fmk.6john

Hi all,

Yesterday I realised a dream and went to Coningsby to see XH558 to depart for Bruntingthorpe.

I have not seen her active since her last display 15 years ago and the emotions are indescribable, even when we were sat waiting, listening to the scanner, Martin Withers voice broke through with 'Marshal Vulcan one, Coningsby tower over' a wave of emotion flooded over me and I went all giddy and childish!!.

Anyway needless to say I lost myself in a heady haze of fresh cut grass, singing birds, the smell of burnt avtur and the beautifull noise of four Bristol Olympus engines........heaven.

vulcan02gr7.jpg

vulcan04qb6.jpg

vulcan07fg4.jpg

vulcan08le9.jpg

vulcan10zf7.jpg

vulcan12qf4.jpg

vulcan14ol7.jpg

vulcan15rr9.jpg

More to follow.........

Take off roll.............

vulcan19ju4.jpg

V1.......

vulcan21ei3.jpg

Airbourne......

vulcan23oe8.jpg

After take off she did two fly by's before departing.......

vulcan27tb0.jpg

vulcan29yt9.jpg

vulcan31pi7.jpg

vulcan32bm8.jpg

And like that she was out of my life, till next time my sweet delta lady :wub:

All comments welcome,

John.

great pictures.

thankyou.

All comments welcome,

John.

You big soft s@d - it's only an flamming aeroplane......

I am, of course, pulling your leg John.

Thanks for sharing your great pictures mate and the sentiment that goes with them is appreciated.

I don't know yet which venue I'll make it to to see her this year but I know when I do I'll be seriously trying to keep my emotions in check with a very large lump in my throat as the nose lifts up and she becomes airbourne!

It's only the Vulcan and Concorde that have ever done that to me. And in the unlikely event that the latter ever takes to the skies again in public I think I'll just openly blub like a baby...

Cheers

Al.

All comments welcome,

John.

my comment is how the hell did you know she was at coningsby ? :shithappens: i'm always asking people about where she'll be flying and don't get hardly any replies and seeing as this is considered the peoples plane ! surely we should know where she is to fly next, i want my money back :confused:

ian.

Wow, that's all I can say. Great weather for it, lovely pics, beautiful. Remember watching one being thrown around unbelievably when I was a kid, on the horizon while I was at school, between lessons. Reckon it was a Middle Wallop air show 'cos that was pretty much the only base near by, maybe Odiham. Always wanted to fly since then, but sadly never did.

BEAUTIFUL....Such a Maginifcent DAME.....

I think they are still deciding whether she will be going to the RIAT and other venues in June 2008, and that they need at least another £50,000 to make it happen...

No matter what She is absolutely GORGEOUS...

Thank you for posting the Pictures ....

Houston... :speak_cool:

my comment is how the hell did you know she was at coningsby ? :shithappens: i'm always asking people about where she'll be flying and don't get hardly any replies and seeing as this is considered the peoples plane ! surely we should know where she is to fly next, i want my money back :confused:

ian.

There was a load of info about 558's flights over on UKAR and Fighter Control this week. I'm pretty sure even TVOC had some info on the flights on their website!

Cracking pics John, my God she's a beauty!

I do remember her flying her last show at Yeovilton in 92; the noise was biblical, can still feel it in my throat now! Not yet been lucky enough to see her flying again over the last few months, but when I do I know it will be something special.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, yes I keep my eyes on the websites with info on her but you do have to take things with a pinch of salt.

The desicion to drive to Coningsby on Friday was not made until that morning when it was an absolute definate that she was departing, the next job was to get there early enough and wait.

Regards,

John.

Well it was on local radio, local TV, the TVOC forum, the UKAR forum and probably other forums I'm unaware of. If you were that keen to know about it, I would have thought the TVOC forum at least would have been worth visiting!

Awesome! What esle CAN you say?

Nice one John and thanks for sharing your pics.

Best wishes, Geoff

Gutted, I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Was down at conningsby for two weeks not long ago, guess i'll have to wait for the Leuchars airshow to see her again, if she makes it.

Is that the crew entrance door I can see dangling below? I know it was hot yesterday but.....

tony :clif:

Edited by Tony Honour

Inspiring pictures certainly,

I'm only 18 and have never ever seen a Vulcan before, this summer will be a real treat I know, and my dad continually goes on about the noise the the aircraft makes, is it really that loud?

How does it compare to a B-1, or Tornado in full chat

will

Inspiring pictures certainly,

I'm only 18 and have never ever seen a Vulcan before, this summer will be a real treat I know, and my dad continually goes on about the noise the the aircraft makes, is it really that loud?

How does it compare to a B-1, or Tornado in full chat

will

Have you ever heard a plane that makes a noise so loud, that your can feel it reverberate through your ribcage????? :coolio:

Fantastic pics John. :wub:

Have you ever heard a plane that makes a noise so loud, that your can feel it reverberate through your ribcage????? :coolio:

As far as I remember, the B-1 is about the loudest thing on the airshow circuit at the moment. The great thing about the Vulcan's sound is that gorgeous howling groan it makes when it's maneouvring hard! Never did figure out if it was something to do with the engines or just the air trying to get out of the way of that huge delta planform, but I'm looking forward to hearing it again...

Waiting in anticipation,

Dean

Only the Tornado has made my ribcage shudder lol At waddington airshow, standing on the far side near the wooden fence as it revs up in dry then engages reheat, definitly the most impressive yet, dont care how loud the B-1 is, Tornado has been the loudest for me. Bring on the vulcan then :)

I was waiting after work out in Digby fen when i got out of my car seeing a BIG bird approaching thinking it was the great Vulcan when it turned and i soon realised it was a bloody AWACS out of Waddington :huh: the farmer in the tractor opposite must have thought i was a right tw*t ! LOL

Interesting...I am looking forward to reaquainting myself with the Vulcan once more - thanks for the pictures John.

As to loud aircraft, it has to be the Lightning for me (having worked on this aircraft type, and having only stood a few feet from two QRA aircraft that took off in full anger during a live alert at RAF Binbrook in the early 80's). I find the Tornado fairly dulled in comparison (nothing like the same volume or shear air crackling anger that Lightnings produce). In fact, the current aircraft type that is on par to a Lightning in terms of loudness is the Typhoon fighter.

Another aircrfat whose engines had a (literal) effect upon me are those of the SR-71 Blackbird. The last few times I saw them fly from Mildenhall was memorable - mostly for tha fact that they produce such a low frequency vibration during a re-heat take off that they really do tie your stomach into knots (or throw up :puke: , which ever is the sooner :lol:).

Yes, I do look very much forward to hearing those four Vulcan Olympus engines screaming their way through the air as the aircraft performs a trademark wing over :).

Cheers

Derek

Only the Tornado has made my ribcage shudder lol At waddington airshow, standing on the far side near the wooden fence as it revs up in dry then engages reheat, definitly the most impressive yet, dont care how loud the B-1 is, Tornado has been the loudest for me. Bring on the vulcan then :)