Best of British

I hereby announce for the delight and delectation of the membership a Group Build of specific purpose, to whit, provide a splendiferous display for the forthcoming Scalemodelworld 2008. The theme will be:

Best of British

Entries can be any subject matter, planes, trains, ships, armour, cars, figures, in fact anything that is British and representing the absolute pinnacle of British science, technology, art and design, or excellence in any given field. Great British turkeys will not be acceptable – you know the ones, Titanic, Boulton Paul Defiant, Austin Allegro, et al, only the very Best of British will be eligible for placement upon the hallowed tables.

This group build will be led by peebeep, assisted by dswoofie and seanrgb who will arbitrate upon matters arising e.g. subject matter for entries and general group build administration. The Best of British will run from 10th May 2008 until 1st November 2008.

Our glorious and mighty (strange) leader, in his wisdom, has proclaimed that prizes are to be bestowed upon authors of unusual and excellent entries, but to claim such a prize your entry must be deemed acceptable by the group build leadership and be available for placement and inspection upon the hallowed tables at Scalemodelworld 2008. The table visitors will then cast votes according to the merit of each entry, the winners thus being able to lay claim to their prize.

So over to you, the wonderfully talented members of Britmodeller, espousing the virtues of British-ness to the four corners of the Globe. Here’s the very

Best of British

to you all!

I think calling the Titanic a turkey is a tad harsh old boy!

Possibly and one could argue its Britishness and excellence in many respects - I'm willing to be persuaded. What I am really thinking is that Titanic had sister ships that were also British and excellent, serving in war and peace and mostly forgotten. Whilst one of them was sunk thus engaged, they didn't self destruct against an iceberg. Britannic or Olympic anybody?

peebeep

Possibly and one could argue its Britishness and excellence in many respects - I'm willing to be persuaded. What I am really thinking is that Titanic had sister ships that were also British and excellent, serving in war and peace and mostly forgotten. Whilst one of them was sunk thus engaged, they didn't self destruct against an iceberg. Britannic or Olympic anybody?

peebeep

Very fairly put, and I agree. My first thought on seeing this was in fact HMS Hood. She quintessentially stood for all that was great about Britain between the wars yet in some ways was as flawed as was the Titanic, and also fell at the first hurdle.

So, I am offering a Trumpeter Hood in 1/350 or (maybe and) an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Ia. Not only a great British creation in the flesh, but also in the form of one of Airfix's best ever kits (imo)

Jen.

Very fairly put, and I agree. My first thought on seeing this was in fact HMS Hood. She quintessentially stood for all that was great about Britain between the wars yet in some ways was as flawed as was the Titanic, and also fell at the first hurdle.

The Mighty 'ood was a 'tween wars icon, on that account alone I would find it perfectly acceptable.

Jen, if you don't mind I will copy your post onto the sign up thread so that it is visible there and confirm acceptability for all to see.

peebeep

Another question.

What about builds vouched for other GBs, that are British and Great?

Do you still want to see the photos, and put them on the table?

I've vouched this (in 1/48th) http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/En...next_id=0242218

for a GB on ARC.

Usual form is to only eligable for prizes on the original GB.

Let's have a look then! I'm sure we can be flexible, especially if it is something interesting.

This one was designed by one of Britain's most innovative engineers, and was the most numerous British bomber produced during WW2:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12190

Many hours spent on it already, yet none of the major sub-assemblies has been put together yet! At my current work rate it may be all I've completed before Telford....

Cheers,

Bill.

What about builds vouched for other GBs, that are British and Great?

Do you still want to see the photos, and put them on the table?

I think we're pretty well laid back (some say horizontal) enough to say yeah, no problem. Don't forget the prime purpose of this GB is to give us sufficient models for an outstanding display at SMW 2008 and the GB is for everyone's enjoyment. If you could make a request in the sign up thread so that we can follow the protocol and treat everybody equally, I will then add your entry to the list and I would not be quibbling about eligibility for prizes etc. Of course we would like to see progress of the build without recourse to looking at other fora...

peebeep

Heraldcoupe, I don't think any of us would regard your build to be sufficiently advanced so as to exclude it from the GB, so if you would like to make a request in the sign up thread (see above) I can add you to the list.

peebeep

I think we're pretty well laid back (some say horizontal) enough to say yeah, no problem. Don't forget the prime purpose of this GB is to give us sufficient models for an outstanding display at SMW 2008 and the GB is for everyone's enjoyment. If you could make a request in the sign up thread so that we can follow the protocol and treat everybody equally, I will then add your entry to the list and I would not be quibbling about eligibility for prizes etc. Of course we would like to see progress of the build without recourse to looking at other fora...

peebeep

Understood, I can post photos at the same time as I post them on the other side. That one doesn't open until August - so I might be quiet until then.

BUT, if I open the box on any other British subject before SMW - you'll be the first to know about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a thought, how about the Sherman Firefly? Yes, the vehicle is of American design but when the 17 pounder was fitted plus all the other modifications made, it did indeed become "The best of British", a testament to what could be done with British ingenuity and engineering.

Phil

I hereby announce for the delight and delectation of the membership a Group Build of specific purpose, to whit, provide a splendiferous display for the forthcoming Scalemodelworld 2008. The theme will be:

Best of British

Entries can be any subject matter, planes, trains, ships, armour, cars, figures, in fact anything that is British and representing the absolute pinnacle of British science, technology, art and design, or excellence in any given field. Great British turkeys will not be acceptable – you know the ones, Titanic, Boulton Paul Defiant, Austin Allegro, et al, only the very Best of British will be eligible for placement upon the hallowed tables.

This group build will be led by peebeep, assisted by dswoofie and seanrgb who will arbitrate upon matters arising e.g. subject matter for entries and general group build administration. The Best of British will run from 10th May 2008 until 1st November 2008.

Our glorious and mighty (strange) leader, in his wisdom, has proclaimed that prizes are to be bestowed upon authors of unusual and excellent entries, but to claim such a prize your entry must be deemed acceptable by the group build leadership and be available for placement and inspection upon the hallowed tables at Scalemodelworld 2008. The table visitors will then cast votes according to the merit of each entry, the winners thus being able to lay claim to their prize.

So over to you, the wonderfully talented members of Britmodeller, espousing the virtues of British-ness to the four corners of the Globe. Here’s the very

Best of British

to you all!