1/12 Ferrari 312-T4

Oi Doc.................you're a nutter!. :wacko:

In a word Smiffy .......Yes! ;) and getting worse by the day.

Added the missing hydraulic actuator today, scratchbuilt with various odds and ends I had lying around:-

t4-11.jpg

t4-12.jpg

t4-13.jpg

I think the engine might be put to one side now as I have too many wires dangling off this lump and things are starting to get damaged :confused: . I will make a start on the tub and hopefully marry the two together later. Then the wires will actually have somewhere to go!

The exhaust will be attacked towards the end of the build as I'm not sure if the bodywork will have to altered (chopped :wicked: ) to allow it to fit.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

The tub is taking shape now :-

t4-14.jpg

Unfortunately being quite an old kit I seem to be spending mucho time de-flashing this kit <_< , usually not a problem but when the parts are having the Alclad treatment then the surfaces have to be as clean as possible. Usual method of Halfords white primer, sanded with mico mesh pads, washed and then a layer of Tamiya X-1 gloss black. When this is dry a layer of Alclad polished aluminium and eventually a quick polish.

t4-15.jpg

I have drilled the pedals and added green tubing for the throttle cable. The fire extinquisher is fitted and I will add clear tubing for this later, not sure why its actually covered by the seat!!

t4-16.jpg

Here is the tub with roll hoops and seat chucked on for the photo. Next to attack is the front suspension.......

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

The fire extinquisher is fitted and I will add clear tubing for this later, not sure why its actually covered by the seat!!

Doc,

I think this is for a number of reasons:

1) The extinuguishers normally douse the engine bay and cockpit (through small spray nozzles around the bulkheads).

2) The tank is relatively heavy so wants to be as close to the CoG as possible.

3) Anything that sticks out in the cockpit hurts the driver in the bumps(!) and high speed corners, so covering it with the seat moulding is GOOD.

Seats can be taken out quite easily so the team can maintain the tank if needed.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

I hear you Kirk and can see the reasons for its placement, but was really stating why "I" should detail this as nobody except me will ever know its there! Well apart from a couple of hundred BMers who view this post :D .

Just wondering if anyone has tried a racing sim called Rfactor? I've just download the 1979 season mod for this game and gained even more respect for the drivers from this era. Monaco still seems pretty similar to todays track except for the chicane after the tunnel which is nearly a flat out kink. Real heart stopper that, a little like Eau Rouge, just point the car hold your breath and hope. Take a quick look at the graphics

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

A little more detail work on the front end including wire and tubing for the hydraulics :-

t4-17.jpg

Foil used for straps on the bottles and scratchbuilt brackets for wiring.

One thing I have tried after seeing an example on another site was flocking. Sounds like it should take place in an isolated car park with sheep :analintruder: but it's simply creating the effect of suede on upholstery or in my case the steering wheel.

To start with I sprayed the inside of the wheel X-18 semi gloss black :-

t4-18.jpg

After this was dry it was masked as the centre of the wheel has no suede :-

t4-19.jpg

The rest of the wheel was then sprayed black and whilst the paint was still wet I sprinkled flour on the surface :-

t4-20.jpg

In fact this is a little too coarse and a finer powder like mig pigments would be ideal. So this was allowed to dry totally and then matt black with a little blue added, was sprayed over this.

t4-21.jpg

Gives quite a nice texture to the wheel, if a little lumpy. The wheel was finished off with a layer of future on the centre section and the decals applied. Also the addition of a switch which has been drilled on the rear to accept the wiring later.

t4-22.jpg

More updates soon ;)

Doc

• 3 weeks later...
Great work Doc, love the chassis and engine, very nice work. Any updates??

Thanks SM :)

Well as you asked I will post a few pics of the progress following a little hiatus from the modelling bench. Having seen Seans sweet GT40 I got stuck back into the build a few days ago and finally married the engine to the chassis:-

t4-23.jpg

Wiring....... don't talk to me about wiring.....

t4-24.jpg

As I said before the majority of the wiring has to be fitted when the complete chassis is together and believe it or not there is still MUCH more to be attached. Various hoses for the plumbing still to be fitted but I have installed the front brake hoses:-

t4-25.jpg

The cockpit is nearly done, the switch on the steering wheel has to be wired but apart from that its complete. Switches made using solder which I squash to form the flat switch, various light picked out using clear red. Dials have X-21 clear blobbed on and the rears drilled out to accept the wiring.

t4-26.jpg

As you can see the wiring is still to be attacked on the nearside along with cables running from the rear actuator to the dashboard:-

t4-27.jpg

Oxygen bottle installed along with wiring for the remote extinguisher release on the roll hoop :-

t4-28.jpg

So that is the state of the build so far, seems to be taking an age to even get to the point of altering the T4 for the Monaco version. The exhaust has still to be done, a little project of its own as I will have to make 6 of the exhausts from scratch!

Back to the plumbing.........

Doc

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have to admit this build will not make the GB deadline, in fact this one will be shelved until a few other builds get done first.

The bulk of the work is done on the chassis and just leaves the bodywork to be attacked at a later stage, when I'm in the mood.

So for now this is what the beast looks like :-

t4-29.jpg

Wheels just chucked on for the photo and tyres still need a good old sanding.

t4-30.jpg

Doc signing off.......

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Doc, Did this ever get finished?

Still on the shelf Jay unfortunately.

I seem to have amassed a quite a few 'half-built' projects at present but when I get my mojo back this one will get completed and I will post some updated photos.

Cheers

Doc

I seem to have amassed a quite a few 'half-built' projects at present but when I get my mojo back this one will get completed and I will post some updated photos.

Ok Doc,

What do we need to do to to get your Mojo back, if someone's nicked it there's enough of us here to sort him out :fight:

But seriously, this is a great build, I've never bought a Tamiya 1/12th scale kit, I've got virtually all the 1/20th kits just never seem to have got any of the big scale kits.

Hope you get your mojo back soon.

Ant

Ok Doc,

What do we need to do to to get your Mojo back, if someone's nicked it there's enough of us here to sort him out :fight:

Your very kind Ant and yes some day soon I will get back into building and stop coming up with feeble excuses! Most of my builds I think are a little ambitious and get bogged down with scratchbuilding, maybe I should try a 'shake and bake' to get me back in the mood.

As for the Tamiya 1/12 kits I now have all the series with a few exceptions and I WILL build them....honest :undecided:

collection-2.jpg

Cheers

Doc