1/12 Ferrari 312-T4

I had no intention of another build for the Motorsport GB but after watching some great 70's F1 racing recently on ESPN it's time to make a hole in the Tamiya 1/12 F1 stash I have. No promises this build will be completed before the July deadline but I will try my best.

I'm sure most of you know the Ferrari 312-T4 from the 1979 GP season was seen as the answer to the all conquering Lotus which had introduced 'ground effect'. The Tee-Four was Ferrari's first ground effect car and took Scheckter to the 1979 F1 title. During this year Ferrari tried different wing configurations as they perfected the setup and I will be modelling the Monaco 'high downforce' version driven by Gilles Villeneurve.

gilles01.jpg

Gilles who qualified 2nd behind Scheckter was all over his team mate in the race until his gearbox let go and forced him to retire. For this race both Ferrari's used larger rear wings which sat 'in-board' and fixed to the sidepods. This layout was first used at Long Beach earlier in the season by Scheckter.

gilles02.jpg

The Kit

box.jpg

Last time I made this kit I was still at school so hopefully I can make a better job of it second time around :clif: . This is one of the original kits not the new release which includes a PE fret <_< .

Original decal sheet has yellowed so I got hold of the Tabu decal sheet from Hiroboy, Steve has them in stock just not on his website.

t4-002.jpg

t4-003.jpg

A few more odds and ends for this build including Zero Ferrari red, Detailmaster hose fittings and braid for the oil lines, small springs for the exhaust and various tubing and wires for the rats nest.

t4-001.jpg

The Build

Ignoring the instructions I started on the engine, assembling the main block and painting first aluminium and then light coats of X-31 Titanium Gold. The real engine block was aluminium but Ferrari used a lacquer on the engine which caused it to yellow slightly.

t4-01.jpg

The intakes have been stripped of chrome and blasted with gloss black and Alclad polished ali :-

t4-02.jpg

The mesh to stop the mechanic's fag ash dropping into the engine has been sprayed XF-16 ready for assembly :-

t4-03.jpg

Thats the progress so far, looking forward to this build.

Cheers

Doc

:partytime:GILES :partytime:

I did one when I was kid too- one thing- the kit decals give a very rubbish thin "see-through" white. I still have mine somewhere- needs rebuilding..

NO. 27- FOREVER HIS NUMBER

Edited by Mentalguru

the kit decals give a very rubbish thin "see-through" white.

Yes that is one thing I do remember about this build, transparent white decals. Not sure how to cure the problem short of masking and spraying the white areas. :confused: Hopefully the nice new decal sheet should be much better, fingers crossed!

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

Oh yes...excellent subject. I have this kit too, it should be my next 1/12th car biuld to sit along side my 312T. I used Tamiya's reissued decals on my kit and the was very little bleed from the 'white's. Those Tabu ones should be fine.

016-vi.jpg

I'll be keeping a watch on this build for sure. :speak_cool:

Oh yes...excellent subject. I have this kit too, it should be my next 1/12th car biuld to sit along side my 312T. I used Tamiya's reissued decals on my kit and the was very little bleed from the 'white's. Those Tabu ones should be fine.

016-vi.jpg

I'll be keeping a watch on this build for sure. :speak_cool:

nice - I've got the Tamiya reissue from a few years ago of the 312T and a Revell reboxing of the Protar one here. I want to get a bit more practice in building before I tackle them though.

Doc, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. the T4 was a right ugly sod though as far as racing cars go.

Thanks peeps B) . SM your 312 looks the dogs danglies, I have the same kit in the stash for a later date :P

Some progress with this beast of a flat 12 engine :-

t4-04.jpg

[jethro] Today I ave bin mostly plumbing [/jethro]

As you can see I have assembled the stacks with mesh covers, the piece they sit on has been weathered using mig pigments to resemble my reference photos which show them to be grubby. Thats how I like to see racing cars, mucky, oily and wearing slicks :lol: . The engine block has a light oil wash but I still need to dry brush it really.

t4-05.jpg

Making the colour of the (oversize) fuel lines from the injection system using clear tubing was tricky. Just using clear yellow blown down the clear tubing looked stupid so I made a cocktail of white and clear orange and blew it down each line to give a light orange colour as in this photo :-

T4XXX.jpg

The battery has been added and fixing bolts scratchbuilt along with the wiring from the battery. Still much to add with the ignition system but its a start.

t4-06.jpg

t4-07.jpg

More soon :) .

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

My kind of era, my kind of car.

Great start and I can't wait for the rest. :popcorn:

Phil.

Edited by PHIL B

Forgive my ignorance but is the battery on it's side? If so and it's a wet cell...

Good shout Mish, yes I would have thought it's a sealed wet cell but I could be wrong. One thing that is obvious is the + & - terminals are reversed from the attached photo. Working from a different set of reference photos.....tsk. Can't be arsed to change them so this is how it's staying! :P

Cheers

Doc

Somewhere I have a poster of the very car you are building - gorgeous, ain't it?

Obi, interested to see your poster as I'm after the mounting points for the rear wing. I have a few photos but nothing which shows the rear wing detail and I'm going to have to scratchbuild the rear wing, end plates and mounting gear. :hypnotised:

Thanks for your comments all. B)

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

Obi, intrested to see your poster as I'm interested in the mounting points for the rear wing. I have a few photos but nothing which shows the rear wing detail and I'm going to have to scratchbuild the rear wing, end plates and mounting gear. :hypnotised:

Thanks for your comments all. B)

Doc

I'd be interested to see the poster too - I know it's at my mum's house somewhere, but I don't know where! If I can find it, I'll try and scan the relevant bit.

A little more progress:-

Gearbox has been attached along with inboard discs and hubs:-

t4-09.jpg

Finding a few glaring errors in the Tamiya colour callouts, but thats normal I guess. Basically going from reference photos for the colours and still with much to add to the rear end but I thought it worth a progress update, should get some much better photos soon.

t4-08.jpg

Oil cooler is now attached using the detail master hose fittings and braided line.

t4-10.jpg

In this area behind the oil cooler I have to scratchbuild a hydraulic actuator which Tamiya skillfully omitted. In all fairness to the big 'T' the T4 in the kit is from the Monza race later in 79, the T4 was in constant development throughout the year and for this Monaco version I have quite a few changes to make.

Biggest headache is the exhaust routing which is totally different for the front 6 cylinders. Instead of under the engine the exhausts have to be re-routed over and alongside the the other exhausts. Still not sure how to tackle that one <_<

exhaust-1.jpg

Also the vents on the sidepods for Monaco had MANY more slats which should be an easy fix:-

Kit vents = 8

Slats_Tamiya.jpg

Monaco version = 17

Slats_Monaco.jpg

Right back to the pit garage.........

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester