Foiling a Fighter

Deanflyer

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

Thanks very much for the advice , i foiled my first aircraft last night using this technique,the technique is spot on, my efforts are not perfect and i may remove the imperfections, but im generally happy with the result. So much so I have psoted a pic. I have a couple of questions tho, how do u foil round engine exhausts? can i discolour foil with acrylic paints? if you have a crease do you cut it out and refoil that panel?

My uncle used to discolour foil to burnt umber by putting foil in with his boiled eggs looked really effective on his danish super sabre...

Thanks

IMG_8599_zpsdc66w399.jpg

Evening Captain, Sir.

Glad you found the technique useful. In the case of creases, cutting out the panel and refoiling is the way for big creases, for small ones, rub with the side of a wooden toothpick and it flattens a lot of it out. I found it was better to use small pieces of foil at a time, and it avoids creases in the first place.

As for exhausts, in the case of the Fury you're building I'd foil straight across the exhaust openings, make a slit along the opening like this >-< and press the foil into the opening. Place the exhausts in afterwards. If the exhausts are moulded on already, I'd foil as close to them as possible and trim off the excess.

Discolouring the foil beforehand by boiling with eggshells CAN work sometimes, but for some reason not always. Here's what it can look like:

foil1.jpg

foil2.jpg

Useful for burnt areas on jets and things.

If that doesn't appeal, if you put a clear varnish over the foil such as Johnson's Klear or the modern equivalent, you can paint acrylics over the foil as you would any other surface.

Hope that helps,

Dean

• Like 1

OK, I confess, I have been foiled i my attempt to ...... ! seriously, they are fantastic tips on using foil and I WILL have to give it a go, although it takes me an age to make a model when painting so nothing to be seen from me for a couple of years if I use foil.Thanks very much for the info, most appreciated.

Just to let people know that modellingtools.co.uk (little-cars) ran out of Edgers foil adhesive late last year. So are now stocking the microscale foil adhesive.

I've attached a link to this thread to the page as it is a great tutorial and guide to foiling.

Ta,

Paul

Just to let people know that modellingtools.co.uk (little-cars) ran out of Edgers foil adhesive late last year. So are now stocking the microscale foil adhesive.

I've attached a link to this thread to the page as it is a great tutorial and guide to foiling.

Ta,

Paul

Woo hoo! Fame at last.

Thanks Paul...

Dean

• 4 months later...

I think I am going to have to have a go at this, I am thinking of modelling a 'presentation' Hurricane and what little evidence there is seems to suggest that the front panels around the engine were cleaned of paint and highly polished. I think 'foiling' might be the perfect solution to achieve this look.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello @Martin Axe ... Ive done a number of them onto straight plastic using microscale foil adhesive and kitchen foil. Check out my yearbook from last year for the F-104 & EE Lightning.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030836-corsairffu-year-of-builds-added-photo’s/

@rob Lyttle does wonders with foil duct tape check out his work. And he applies over paint so you can do it both ways.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235040168-douglas-dc-7c-revel-corrections/ Please Don't hesitate to ask questions im glad to help. 

Dennis

Dennis,

Other than degrease the plastic doesn’t need any more preparation then? 

I’ve primed my Airfix F6 lightning ready for the aluminium coat. Though about doing some panels with foil ( ordered the adhesives) never tried fouling before so it would a first for me, what do you suggest would painted panels need sanding back?

Martin

13 hours ago, Martin Axe said:

Dennis,

Though about doing some panels with foil ( ordered the adhesives) never tried fouling before so it would a first for me,

Martin

I know the other stuff sticks, but I'd keep to the proprietary adhesives too.   :rofl2:

Hello Martin, Yes i use iso alcohol to dust & wipe the model down. I personally haven't really tried laying foil over paint, I have done it by accident. It sticks but not well. Its best on bare plastic. You can paint over it, clear coat it and decal on foil with out many issues though. I would clearccoat it though or it might not stay on. I will be doing some foil accents on two builds in the next week or so. Both will be painted before the foil. I use scissors or a rounded blade to trim the foil. When im cutting it to size.

I have a mirror i layout the foil & smooth it out. I use the microscale glue. Decide which side of foil you want for your use ? Kitchen foil has a dull and polished side. Paint the glue on the opposite side of the foil from what you will need. I dip my wide flat brush about 1 cm or 1/2 inch wide in water first then dip it into a bottle cap of glue. You want a 50/50-60/40 mix of glue to water. Then paint the flat foil, leave it as smooth as you can less brush strokes is better. Let it dry to tack about 10-15 minutes. It acts like a rubber cement. Cut a piece just larger than what you need and apply it to the model. I use kitchen paper towell and paper straws ( find these in the baking area of craft stores), to burnish the foil smooth. Once you have the panel filled take your knife with the round blade. Do not use a #11 blade it can tear the foil. Repeat for any other panels you plan on doing. If you plan on doing a whole plane you can cheat a little and use larger pieces of foil. A size that will cover a few panels at a time. I hope this helps you if not try this to get my attention @Corsairfoxfouruncle It will alert me. 

Dennis

• 10 months later...

Wow, seeing the finished product is absolutely stunning! Even though I am just returning to modeling after thirty years since my last build, I now want to buy a nice big B-17 or P-51 and foil the blank out of it! Since I live in the Philippines, finding paints is difficult, but finding cheap thin foil, that is easy! Your tutorial makes it seem almost easy, and many of the aircraft have different shades of silver panels, which probably could be recreated via different brands of foil, making for a gorgeous kit when finished.

I will definitely remember (bookmark) this tutorial, when I get the time, the money and the courage, this will be one of my "must try" techniques before I take the long dirt nap, thanks so much for sharing with us all!

Anthony

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm not wanting to "hi-jack" this thread, but has anyone used the acrylic metallic-paints which can be buffed to a shine? I think Gunze Sangyo produce some and maybe a couple of other makers...

Cheers. 

Chris. 

14 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I'm not wanting to "hi-jack" this thread, but has anyone used the acrylic metallic-paints which can be buffed to a shine? I think Gunze Sangyo produce some and maybe a couple of other makers...

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Hello @spruecutter96, yes, I have! I used Mr Metal Colour, and ended up with this Lightning TMk4

Lightning T Mk4 001

Lightning T Mk4 003

There is a link to the RFI page:

That gives (after the photographs) a guide as to what I did. I hope that helps,

Ray