Hey,.... I could be the first to post.

geedubelyer

Ooh, what a priviledge and an honour.......(~switches intercom crackle on~) This is one small step for man, etc, etc! :sleeping:

(Blummin' 'eck!. It took me twenty minutes just to decide which emoticon to use :wacko: )

Any road up, here's a little addition to the world of WW1.

Some work in progress shots of my Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel for those that have n't seen it elsewhere.

tn_P2170016.jpg

tn_P2170015.jpg

tn_P2180008.jpg

tn_P3180015.jpg

tn_P3180016.jpg

Let me know what you think.

:coolio:

Bloody Hell!! Did you get Rumpelstiltskin to weave that seat for you or what. And those wings look like they are actually covered with fabric. Thats some really talented work.

Nigel.

Erm WOW! That is pretty amazing, tackling the Revell 1/28 Spad myself right now so I'd love to see more about how you did that, especially the seat.

Gulp! ... just considering building the Hobbycraft 1/32 Nieuport as my first serious foray into WWI aircraft, hope I can achieve a similar quality of build?

Nick.

Ayup blokes, owz tha' doin'?

Many thanks for all of the encouragement men, I really need it with this bloomin' kit.

You see, I'm used to the Tamigawa type of model. The sort that kinda builds itself rather than this pile of ****. I'm probably being a tad unkind 'cos it only cost a tenner instead of an 'undred so what did I expect, eh?

Anyhoo, I'm still struggling on with it, slowly but surely.

Here are a few quick pics of recent progress.

tn_P4040015.jpg

tn_P4040016.jpg

These two show the cowling. This finish is Humbrol metalcote, Polished Aluminium to be precise but I'm not happy with it. It just appears too grainy next to the actual metal of the adjacent panels. I'm going to have to try AlcladII. Can anyone with experience of Alclad suggest the most likely match for the metal foil I've used on the fuselage please?

Next up, the undercart.

tn_P4070020.jpg

The bungy for the suspension is lead core fishing line. It's very soft and has a little surface detail embossed on it from the cloth sheathing it's wrapped in.

tn_P4070026.jpg

I've used Citadel Miniatures acrylics for the painting and borrowed techniques from those very nice Warhammer types to lift the detail and suggest a little depth.

Finally for now, here's a look at the padded leather of the cockpit surround. The kit just offers a raised lip so it needed some improvement. This is my try.......

tn_P4070019.jpg

And before anyone asks, no I have n't just curled one off on the model! The padding is made up of a foil base embossed with a rivetting tool to suggest brass eyes with a sausage of "Green-stuff" for the padding.

tn_P4070021.jpg

I used some Citadel paints and some Valejo acrylics this time. In 1:1 scale it does n't look too bad.

:pilot:

Thanks Jean, I've seen your stuff on LSP so your compliment means a great deal.

I have an ever deepening respect and admiration for the blokes that do this on a regular basis. :worthy:

I spent ages yesterday trying to fix the upper wing in place. After what seemed like hours of frustration and coming this (~inserts image of thumb and forefinger 1mm apart~) close to throwing the model out of the nearest window, I finally got the bloomin' thing on. That's the good news.........now the bad news. The wing looks like a banana :weep:

The problem is n't too evident from the rear three-quarters

tn_P4100009.jpg

but from the front it just looks sad

tn_P4100003.jpg

I can't face ripping the wing off to fix it so I'll just put it at the back of my display case when it's finished. :violin:

I did manage to rig the undercart and scratch a pitot tube though.

tn_P4100007.jpg

tn_P4100012.jpg

you cannot give up on this now geedub....where is your sense of achievement ...your pride...I suggest that you do the wing again and dont make it look like a banana....GO ON make it right!!!

:shithappens:

you cannot give up on this now geedub....where is your sense of achievement ...your pride...I suggest that you do the wing again and dont make it look like a banana....GO ON make it right!!!

:shithappens:

I'm with Houston. You're not going to relegate that fine work to the back of the display cabinet. Put it aside for a couple of weeks, then come back to it, remove the wing and fix the problem. :whip: YOU CAN DO IT.

You guys are right. I can't let it beat me. Thanks for the encouragement.

That is one of the best things about belonging to an on-line community like this.

If it'd been up to me I'd have left it but, with a little help from my friends, I've had another go.........

tn_P4110005.jpg

The red line shows how much better the wing looks now. I had to remove about 2.5mm off each of the cabane struts before it was right. If anyone is planning this build in the future, measure them first if possible. You'll save yourself a world of pain.

I've also begun the rigging. By starting with the wing wires first I was able to apply a little tension to the wings and lift them to the required angle.

Here's a closer look at some of the attachment points.

tn_P4110002.jpg

tn_P4110001.jpg

And lastly, one of the underside, just for kicks.

tn_P4110006.jpg

I will have to re-rig the undercart as the wires got deformed in the adjustments but that should n't take too long I hope.

Thanks once again for all of the moral support :wub:

Looks great mate.

Loving the wood effect on the struts aswell. How big is this bird? Pretty small I'm guessing, atleast compared to your Flanker! :D

Glad to see you got the warping sorted. I almost paniced when I saw the news over on ARC....you actually had me worried you were going to call it quits!

Lovely work, keep it up old chap!

That's a crackin' save, well done! :D

Thanks Mike, I'm glad I listened to everyone

How on earth do you manage all that fiddly stuff? Those anchor cleats for the wiring - :o

Just lucky I guess :whistling: ......seriously though, the eyelets are OO gauge handrail knobs sanded flat and super-glued into holes I drilled in the wings and fuselage. They're probably a bit oversized but look o.k. to my untrained eye.

How big is this bird? Pretty small I'm guessing, atleast compared to your Flanker!

Smurfster, how goes it? Good to see ya buddy. Hows that Harrier coming on? I'm getting withdrawal mate. You'd better post some progress soon or I'll be going cold turkey (~thumbs through emoticons to find a shivering Norfolk chicken~)

I found your question fascinating. Suppose the Camel was flying in 1917. 60 years later the Su-27 first flew. Both single seat fighter aircraft...........

tn_P4110005a.jpg

How things move on eh?

The actual model has about a 26cms wingspan and is approx 18cms from tip to tail.............

Now, that is certainly a scale comparison worth showing. There is some seriously neat work here geedub...that Camel ROCKS!!!

How much to do til its finished? looking very near completion.

cheers,

Mike

Now, that is certainly a scale comparison worth showing. ...........

How much to do til its finished? looking very near completion.

cheers,

Mike

Cheers Mike, I think I'm about 95% finished now. I've got a little more done recently so all that is left to do are two control lines (port ailerons, starboard elevator) the tail skid, a rectangular metal panel between the undercart struts and a couple of lines from the pitot. I will have to touch up some of the paintwork but that's about it.

I could n't sleep this morning so I've been pottering around taking snaps.

Please excuse the background, I'll take more care when I post a few in "Ready for inspection"

I hope you enjoy these few...........

First up, the "museum" shot :winkgrin:

tn_P4150004.jpg

and a similar angle in more "natural" lighting.

tn_P4150003.jpg

T'other side.......

tn_P4150002.jpg

and a couple of rear three-quarter pics.

tn_P4150009.jpg

tn_P4150006.jpg

The last one is a closer view of the Ne-Omega resin "Le Rhone" engine. A beautifully rendered and crisply detailed kit. Highly recommended. :thumbsup2:

tn_P4150012.jpg

That's all for now.

I hope I'll see you over in "Ready for Inspection"