Airfix/Heller Javelin

John

OK, I've just acquired one of these in it's FAW9 guise for the group build but it's a kit I've never even looked into the box of, never mind built! Any comments on pitfalls, improvements, options?

Ta

John

Its typical Heller/Airfix from the '80's, in other words the shape is pretty good but some of the detail is soft i.e. cockpit area etc.

The kit was first released as a T3 by Heller in the early 80's and the mould was then converted some years later (early'90's ??) to the FAW.9 for release by Airfix, by combining parts from both kits i.e. penib style tail-cone from T3 onto FAW9 fuselage you can convert to other marks.

IIRC it builds really well and most importantly looks like a Javelin when finished.

As others have said - a straightforward build of an early 80s Airfix quality kit. Here's mine from about 2003:JavelinFAW9.jpg

Clear linkage back to the Heller T3 - though next model was Airfix boxing:

JavelinT3.jpg

There's an article about Javelins in SeventySecondScale Modeller - June 1998. It states that the Fuselage is good, but the wings are too short (span?) by about 30mm. Also says that 46Sqdn marking has wrong colour surround - but I applied them to the T3 anyway!

Personally I never noticed the wings having a problem - as I've only ever seen a Javelin from this angle:

JavelinStavertonFS.jpg

Gate Guard at Staverton - about 3 miles from my home.

I hope it's 30mm on the real thing - 30mm on the model would be an error of about 7 feet!

John

Unfortunately, the 7' error is the conclusion that I drew from the article - OR it could have been eroneous plans!

Next time I venture into my loft, I'll measure the dimensions of my models (and I've got a Nova FAW9R),

and compare them with http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/ja.../survivors.html

Hoping to clear any confusion - I've ventured into my loft with a ruler, and measured all the Javelin models.

Airfix has a span of about 222mm and root chord of 110mm

and Novo about 220mm, and root chord of 105mm - so very little difference.

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/ja.../survivors.html quotes a span of 52'10" for all versions.

ARC scale converter takes 222mm to 52'5.3" - so maybe the 30mm error is before reduction.

It was a quick, crude measurement with a school ruler - so not scientific. Playing with ARC Scale Converter

224mm gives the magic 52'10" measurement, so none of the kits are visually inaccurate.

I re-read the S3M article last night, and am now convinced that the 30mm thing is a typo for 3mm. If the kit were measured as 221mm and scaled at 224mm, then the difference is 3mm.

Close enough to not bother me!

Me neither!

OK, have now been able to give the kit a good once over. This example has obviously been harvested from the "History of the RAF" boxed set, so doesn't have a box. There are 2 colours of plastic, grey for the main airframe components and white for the Mk9 specific parts. There's a bit more release agent on the parts than I'd be used to for an Airfix/Heller product, so a bath will be a must.

PICT0003-3.jpg

The decal sheet is large, well printed, comprehensive and in perfect register so I can't see any problem with an out of the bag build here. Both the supplied alternatives are attractive, but I'm heading towards the 60 Squadron option. Might do the 64 though.

After a painting disaster on the Spitfire GB over at the ATF, I trotted off to the LMS for fresh pots of Humbrol Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey so I think that's everything I need to get started.

John

John

Cool... looking forward to seeing this one begin. I have the Dynavector Javelin amongst my stash. Gotta love those vacforms :wub:

The decal sheet is large, well printed, comprehensive and in perfect register so I can't see any problem with an out of the bag build here.

Beware decals from Airfix box sets. I have been doing a VJ Day build with the cadets at our squadron, the decals looked OK but some of them were cracking up when immersed in water. I have since been coating up with Micro Liquid Decal Film before attempting any more decalling. Perhaps we got a rogue set of decals but forewarned is forearmed.

peebeep

Thanks for the tip.

I've been using the same set for the model club at school, and built the Val with the coloured tail and fuselage stripes myself. The decals have been fine so far but I'll keep an eye open.

John

Hi John,

I have an almost completed Airfix/Heller Javelin on the backburner at present. It was the same issue as yours, from the Airfix "History of the RAF" box set. Construction was straightforward, although I did sand off the panel lines and leave out the cockpit! The only problem I had was getting the decals to sit over the vortex generators properly. Talking of decals, the fin flash is slightly out of register with a narrow white band at the front edge which you won't see until time to apply it, so make sure you trim right up to the red. I can't speak for the rest of the decals as I still have to apply them.

The main concern I had was not with the construction itself but with the fragility of the nosewheel. It has a tendency to flex under the weight of the ballasted model and if you are not careful you could snap it. It was not as if I put too much ballast in the nose either - I put in just enough to stop it tail-sitting.

It does make for a nice representation of a Javelin though, even OOB:

Javelin_72_017_500.jpg

Dave

Edited by davecov

Thank you, John.

The camouflage colours were Humbrol H163 Satin Dark Green and H164 Satin Dark Sea Grey - applied with my faithful number 2 paintbrush!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, the summer hols have arrived, school closed at 1.00pm and I have 3 weeks peace and quiet (hopefully) to get a bit of kitbashing done. The Javelin parts are currently bathing in the sink, so there should be a bit of progress over the weekend - watch this space!

John

Does anyone have a similar sprue photo/s of the Frog kit please ?

It could be arranged, but I would like at least a couple of extra reasons to have to make a loft foray (bad back, ladders etc etc)!

I can tell you in advance that the Airfix/Heller is preferable to the Frog.

peebeep

• 4 weeks later...
I can tell you in advance that the Airfix/Heller is preferable to the Frog.

peebeep

Absolutely, however the Airfix FAW9 was of course based upon the Heller T3. The "Pen-nib" fairing on the latter was slightly undersized and as a result the rear end of the kit appears pinched and Airfix's rear end is too narrow. The 'burner cans are therefore too small in diameter.

Another point too look out for are the wing mounted vortex generators these are well moulded BUT the decals are a bugger to get to fit over them!

It is a nice kit though, and apart from the rear end - looks the part. The Frog kit on the other hand is chunky by comparison BUT I feel that they have got their rear end nearer to the mark- and the two 230 gall(?) drop tanks re included (though you could of course rob a Matchbox Hunter for those - or leave them off!!!)