1/72 Space shuttle with boosters!

This is a commision that i have been building for a while now. Its HUMUNGOUS. Its the Monogram 1/72 kit and it lit with 1 LED in the cockpit and 1 in each booster. I got the tank and boosters assembled today and fitted them all together. This is one of the most impressive models i have ever built , but is also fairly bad fitting. Its a bit of a filler magnet! It is to be painted up as a Moonraker shuttle. Heres some photos so far

DSC01886.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

And here is something in the same scale to give you an idea of size. The Airfix 1/72 Nimrod.

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01889.jpg

Edited by gunpowder17

The Shuttle always looks weirdly out of scale to me, maybe it's the way the cockpit end looks but I keep thinking the 1/144 of mine is really 1/72...

At least being vertical the footprint is nice and small!

I've got a partly made Shuttle, but didn't know they did booster rockets for it... jeezuz, that thing is big! :lol:

Yup. The Monogram Full stack kit. Its a hard to find kit. Its big and i will be glad when its gone! I have another commission shuttle to do after this but without the boosters. I reckon it would look really great in standard NASA colours.

mine's got a load of Cutting Edge decals with it, resin exhaust bells and a resin payload bay... I went biff on aftermarket, but forgot that I actually had to build the thing once I had. That's why I stopped before I screwed it up. :blush:

Its not the best fitting kit in the world. All that stuff would make a beautiful model though.

I'd better leave it for a year or two then ;)

The 1/72 full stack has been on my "to do" (to buy, even) list for a long time.

Watched "MR" not long back, the shuttle launch sequences still stand up even in todays CGI world, and are even more impressive for being staged before the real thing was launched.

wow that model is what jungle is...

Massive!

Would be interesting to me if you have the time GP, to explain how you wire it up for the led's as well.

great model!!

It is indeed a big and beautiful beastie once done. Wouldn't mind another one to do to be honest :D

She's looking good so far, here's to a finish on the 28th!

Go fer it! :)

Edited by Raytheon