Meteor Triple Header

The story about 3 copies of WS774 is at http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.ph...61&start=61.

Here are the boxes and their contents, after I have painted all the cockpit bits black.

Matchbox_3MeteorBits.jpg

If anybody has spare decal number 7s for this kit, then please PM me - I'm going to need them. :thumbsup2:

Too long - at the time MB made the kit it was widely beleived that the NF14 nose was longer than the NF12. In fact both are exactly the same. It's down to an optical illusion due to the shorter windscreen and a mis-interpretation of the nose of the 12 being longer than the 11, and the 14 is also longer, being translated into the 14 being longer again than the NF12

• Like 1

Too long - at the time MB made the kit it was widely beleived that the NF14 nose was longer than the NF12. In fact both are exactly the same. It's down to an optical illusion due to the shorter windscreen and a mis-interpretation of the nose of the 12 being longer than the 11, and the 14 is also longer, being translated into the 14 being longer again than the NF12

Ahh interesting info, thanks for the heads up.

Product of another happy evening's modelling:

Matchbox_3Meteor_fuselage.jpg

Fuselages mostly assembled. Those medium length noses are push fitted so far - but full of lead.

The 3 kits are all from different batches - so Matchbox 3 colour kit gives me 9 different shades of raw plastic to work with. Each model will be a mongrel of all 9 shades!

Another evenings modelling - and 3 airframes are assembled.

Matchbox_3Meteor_Airframes.jpg

Those photos are of my visit to the real WS774. One with me driving, another with my son steering - whilst I pedal in the back!

The Battle of the Gaps is about to commence!

Joseph & his amazing multicolored Meteors! :coolio: Quick progress... did you put much work into the cockpits? Hard to tell from the dinky pics so far ;)

Joseph & his amazing multicolored Meteors! :coolio: Quick progress... did you put much work into the cockpits? Hard to tell from the dinky pics so far ;)

Not much - even I will admit these are being rushed.

Seat belt from thin slices of Tamiya masking is the only addition to what's in the kit.

PLUS everything is painted black in there.

After an evening of wet'n'drying we have this formation:

Matchbox_Meteors4_sanded2.jpg

And after a quick coat of silver paint on the seams.

Matchbox_Meteors4_primed2.jpg

A bit more work is required - as can be seen on the cockpit surround of the front 2 planes.

BUT not tonight!

Your completed 85 sqn Meteor looks a bit good.

Ah - thankyou. Here's a closer look

MatchboxMeteorComplete.jpg

And here it is again - trying to keep up with the triple-header, after another hour's sanding.

Matchbox_Meteors4_repeat.jpg

I'll check those seams again tomorrow.

Now can anyone tell them apart? Finishes unified with brush painted Silver.

Matchbox_Meteors4_Silver.jpg

This follows a bit of a disaster with airbrushed Revell Orange paint this morning.

The silver is more of an undercoat in preparation for another attempt, and is not intended as a final finish.

You must have huge biceps from all that sanding by now... that silver coat will show up any remaining imperfections too :shocked:

Looking sharp Tim. Silver really does a good job of showing up 'work required'. I have finally made it passed that stage and am now onto the black and yellow undesides.

Looks like you should have 3 happy customers there.

cheers

Grant

The story about 3 copies of WS774 is at http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.ph...61&start=61.

Here are the boxes and their contents, after I have painted all the cockpit bits black.

Matchbox_3MeteorBits.jpg

If anybody has spare decal number 7s for this kit, then please PM me - I'm going to need them. :thumbsup2:

All that got me inspired, I designed the instruction sheet for this kit and I did the research with Maurice down at Duxford where I actualy fell into the T-7 pit so I picked up a load of shots before the kit came out and Aeroclub gave me a set of each of his conversions so in all I had seven different meteors to build and they have been in a box ever since. Well they are out again now and I have built some up and sanded all those seams and fills, don't know if I'll finish them all this session but I have Hannants meteor for review so maybe an article there perhaps.

Cheers

Ted

All that got me inspired, I designed the instruction sheet for this kit and I did the research with Maurice down at Duxford where I actualy fell into the T-7 pit so I picked up a load of shots before the kit came out and Aeroclub gave me a set of each of his conversions so in all I had seven different meteors to build and they have been in a box ever since. Well they are out again now and I have built some up and sanded all those seams and fills, don't know if I'll finish them all this session but I have Hannants meteor for review so maybe an article there perhaps.

Cheers

Ted

Really glad to have been of assistance Ted. Other Britmodellers have helped me with this project - so I'm really pleased that it has inspired another modeller.

I hope to be able to meet you at SMW and see some of these Meteors.

Cheers, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Ah where were we? Yes I've just returned from a VERY enjoyable week in Tenerife - did anybody miss me?

Following a spectacular failure to get Revell Orange paint through my airbrush, I tried Humbrol today - with infinitely more success (by my terms).

Matchbox_Meteors3_Dayglo.jpg

The orange patches roughly equate to the dayglo stripes on WS774, when they're THOROUGHLY hard, I'll mask the stripes and airbrush the hulls silver.

The real WS774 was aligned with her nose facing East at Quedgely. This resulted in the sun beating down on the starboard side all day, and NEVER getting round to the port side. The effect was faded dayglo striped on the port side. This is how I plan to park the models until I airbrush them silver.

• 3 weeks later...

Return to modelling - after doing nothing for the past couple of weeks.

Must have worn out YouTube, Ebay, and watched every TopGear re-run!

Started masking out those dayglo stripes - and plenty more left to do!

Matchbox_Meteors3_Masking.jpg

Time consuming - but I'm pleased with the results. Just hope the airbrush doesn't bleed underneath at the weekend!