Revell Easykit pocket 'Darth Vader's TIE fighter'

Wow....

Revell Easykit pocket 'Darth Vader's TIE fighter'

P4090009a.jpg

P4090006a.jpg

P4080001a.jpg

This one was pure joy from beginning to end.

Real life has cut into my modelling time recently. So I picked this up the other day for £3-50. My intention was to just open the box and slap it together.

That special gene we modellers possess kicked in. I stuck some nozzles on the rear, detailed the cockpit a bit and gave it a respray. Xtracrylix intermediate blue mixed with neutral grey for the body and Tamiya NATO black for the radiator doodads.

Took about a day and a bit to build and paint.

When I finally stuck the whole thing together, I laughed like a kid and flew it round the room!

I haven't had this much fun building a kit for ages. :D

Looking at the size of 'ol Mr Vader, the kit appears to be roughly about 1/72??

Well worth the money.

Mart

Great work ! - I've built these kits as well (with my 5yr old son) - I think theyre much better than the bigger Revell easy kits that are around 1:48

Paul

Nice job, the colours look good. I didn't realise it was close to 1/72, I'll have to get one to go with my Fine Molds X-Wing and TIE. Much cheaper than the resin version, and probably infinitely simpler to build too!

didn't realise it was close to 1/72

Apologies everyone!

Just used Scalecalc to work out what scale the kit is.

According to starwars.com the length is 9.2m

The kit comes out at 72mm

Which gives a scale of 1/128.Which also means that Mr Vader is way overscale for this kit! He does look 1/72ish.

Pity really, as I wanted to display it next to my other kits.

Looks like I may have to pick up one of them Fine Moulds kits myself.

Mart

That's a bloomin' nice job you've made of that. B)

I've been meaning to pick a few of these easy mini snap pocket type thingies up.

I'm thinking they've got some great diorama potential. ;)

Ohh and I wouldn't trust the dimensions published on SW.com. There's quite a few on there that are way out.

IIRC, this Tie fighter kit is just a little smaller than 72nd and could quite easily be displayed alongside the FM ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've just bought one of these kits (from an incredibly tall man with a Dutch or similar accent, at Collectormania Milton Keynes). As soon as I got home, I compared it to the Fine Molds standard TIE Fighter, which is 1/72 scale. The good news is, the cockpit modules are almost exactly the same size. The windscreens on the two kits are only fractionally different, with the Revell one being slightly smaller overall. That's good enough for me, I'll call it 1/72 and have done with it.

Does anyone know if the Revell mini-kit TIE Interceptor is to the same scale as the Darth Vader version? If so, I'll have half a dozen and pass on the Fine Molds version.

Good Job Mart, looks a hell of a lot easier than the AMT kit I'm working on... :lol:

Interesting that you picked Tamiya Nato Black for the wing panels too. I'm just spraying mine with that as black looks too stark on it.

That little Revell kit certainly brushes up nicely with a bit of work!

Karl.

Hey Karl, did you know Revell do a larger version too? I haven't seen inside the box, but judging by their X-Wing it'll be about two-thirds the size of the AMT kit, and a lot less aggro to build.

:lol: you could have told me before I was 80% through the AMT kit!!! Not too far off finishing it now.

Karl.

Well, you can content yourself with the knowledge that I have 2 of those piles of bantha poodoo to build! One from about 1979/80, the other is the issue that you've got with the flight display set-up. I've never compared the two, due to them being in different parts of the loft, but I'm fairly sure it was retooled before re-issue. The X-Wing certainly was, as the early issue has raised panel lines, the later one engraved ones. I must compare the two TIEs, see which one fits better, then use the wings from the other to make a TIE Bomber with scratchbuilt fuselage - which is pretty much how they made the filming model.

So it is 1/72! Who'd a thunk it. :hmmm:

Does anyone know if the Revell mini-kit TIE Interceptor is to the same scale as the Darth Vader version? If so, I'll have half a dozen and pass on the Fine Molds version.

The cockpit'y ball bit is about the same size on both kits. (I picked up the TIE Interceptor at the same time as this one, Hey Hobbycraft had them on special offer. How could I resist?)

@dswoofie, I used NATO black, as I virtually never use pure black on my kits. I've always added a drop of white/brown/blue/whatever to take the starkness away. I think it's a throw back from my art college days.

I've just started on a MIG-37B, don't know if that counts as Sci-Fi or What-If?

I think I'll finish it in a funky splinter cammouflage. :D

Mart

The cockpit'y ball bit is about the same size on both kits.

Mart

Thanks for the confirmation, Mart. I'll be getting a few TIE Interceptors soon. Hopefully Revell will also do the standard TIE Fighter, then I can save a fortune by not buying a dozen Fine Molds kits!