72 Sqn Wessex HC.2 and 230 Sqn Whirlwind HC.10

It's quite simple, just add the nose section from the HU.5 kit to the fuselage from the Choctaw and instant HC.2 as the Choctaw has the correct square windows.

Its what I thought once I'd typed up my post. I'll have to scarifice my Revell issue of same to do the job. It'll be finished as XV724 based in Germany of 18 sqd. It was my only helicopter flight ever to date being on an ATC camp to Bruggen back in 1971 I think. The first RAFG Phantoms of 14 Sqn had just arrived and both the Lightning units were deployed to Bruggen form Gutersloh whle having that bases runway resurfaced. The WEssex flight was great. 30 minutes low level!!!

Edited by Paul J

By the time the A/C were two tone green, we were hard pushed to even have a standby cab, let alone one with FLOT gear. The stupid yellow blade was a hang over from the nancy SAR boys on the mainland and universally disliked in theatre. I'm also pretty sure that the nitesun was not fitted if the A/C was on V813 standby. I reckon by the time that the sqn was NVG qualified, the piggin thing was virtually never fitted anymore. A dual day/IR landing light was used instead.

• 4 months later...
I've seen that a couple of people have got round it by using the nose of the Mk5 with the fuselage of a UH34, I've got both the italeri kits and have made a start, this is how Sniper did it with the 72 Sqn HC2, I'm building a 28 Sqn one.

Finally got something to show, trying to fit building around work, grandchildren and life. Made the soundproofing out of speedtape, whilst sticky it is hard to get the pattern onto.

If I build another, I'll sort the cabin seat backs out properly. The RAF ones did not have a mesh back.

I think I may have got the ammo box for the flares a bit big, as are the fire extinguishers, but it's been years since I've done this sort of thing. Has anyone got any advice on making a very pistol and holder for the other side of the cabin rear?

The Airwaves Mk5 parts are good, but I'm not looking forward to fitting the intake and IGB grills. Also still got to fit the crewmans seat to the right of the cabin door.

Really have forgotten how fiddly 1/72 is!!

Cabin2.jpg

cockpit.jpg

Cabin.jpg