Jens birthday builds :FINISHED:

Thanks peeps!

I'm pleased that you're all so impressed by the exhausts, ironically, they were really easy once I'd figured out what to do :lol:

I have been continuing on the build on and off through the afternoon, things were looking good. Until..............the decals :suicide:

Never used Roden decals before, I think now that I never will again :doh: Maybe they are printed by the same people that do ICM ones, they behave the same anyway.

The underwing decals went on fine. The overwing decals didn't want to settle into the huge dips and troughs of the fabric effect (sarcasm guys) so I slitted them where necessary. Then the slits wouldn't settle.

That only left the serials, which were integrated in with the roundel as you might expect. It might have worked but for a large raised detail on the fuselage side. I don't know what it is but with it there the decals just weren't going to work. I ended up having to piggle it all off, ruining the sky grey in the process :cry:

So I now have to repair and repaint the fuselage side. Luckily I didn't wet the other decal so I will now use that to make a mask from. What a faff.

I have scoured the decal folder and found replacement roundels for the top wing and for the fuselage side. I am now pleased that I have Aeromaster decals for the other one in the stash!

Jen.

Remember this?

314033630.jpg

Well I've been hacking away at it. It looked very strange at first glance and on closer inspection I realised it was because the blades are on backwards! And there's a random hoofing great step on the spinner of course.........

I chopped the step off and sliced both blades away at the base (roughly). After sanding the spinner smooth I reattached the blades with the curve facing the right way, smoothed them in with superglue and then coated it with Tamiya Liquid filler. That has now been sanded down and this is the result..

315572485.jpg

Much better!

The rest of the model is now ready for the top wing. I've added all the small bits, some of which were replaced with scratch built stuff as they were a bit clunky. The rear of the fuselage has also had one coat of Klear now. It shows up the roundel touch up really well, you can barely see that in real life! :doh:

315572446.jpg

Similar work has been going on with the Gladiator too. I've repainted the damaged area and then made a mask using dimensions from the remaining decal. The codes were sprayed on and the roundels are from an Xtradecal sheet (they are actually post war RAF so technically a bit wrong).

The wierd paint job looks slightly less wierd now that it's had a dose of Phils medicine and a flat coat too :)

315572523.jpg

Good job we've got another fortnight innit! :lol:

Jen.

Both are looking good Jen, don't think I would have spotted the fault with the spinny thing that goes on the front :)

.....in 1/72, i wouldn't have been able to have seen it with my eyes!

Great work on both Jen and looking forward to seeing both finished.

Hi Jen,

Both are looking really good!

I recieved the latest Warpaint on the Bulldog on Wednesday but had yet to notice the prop so TA! for the heads up!

BTW the book is very good and well worth buying.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

I did it! Despite my own misgivings, I have finished both of the models over the course of this weekend :D

Well I say finished, the Gladiator needs some flat coat touch ups and a slight bit of weathering (not much, this aircraft only lasted a week!) and the Bulldog needs the exhausts painting and adding. Other than that, I'm done. Sneek peek pic mit flashen lampen, finished model pics tomorrow.

316884441.jpg

Jen.

A bit late again, sorry. I got waylaid by riding my bike and cutting grass the last couple of evenings :rolleyes:

They are both finished now. I didn't add any weathering to the Galdiator because I am quite happy with how it looks without any. The Bulldog was never going to get any anyway.

I made a bit of a boo boo when I fitted the engine to the Gladiator in that I got it very slightly off centre, which means the exhausts are a bit uneven. Some of the rigging is a bit gash as well.

317244902.jpg

The Bulldog is ok apart from the wonky undercarriage, caused by uneven mouldings. I also had a minor disaster when I masked and painted the checks on the top wing in that I pulled most of one of the roundels off :doh: This despite the layers of Klear sealing it in. I searched for some more to no avail and ended up using the kit decals. They went on ok but are a bit faded and funny looking compared to the rest of it.

317244905.jpg

In many ways I think I enjoyed the Bulldog build more than the Gladiator, not the the Gladiator isn't a nice kit but I do get a certain satisfaction from the finished Bulldog given the ancientness of the kit used :)

The rest of the finished photos are in the gallery. Many thanks for the encouragement along the way folks! :D

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Lovely job, Jen. I've often wondered what "shadow shading" actually looked like, and now I know! I guess it must also be a requirement that any member of the CBK Sig has to build an Airfix Bulldog. These inter-war types are very satisfying aren't they? Bring on that Montex Fury - you know you want one!

bestest,

M.

Lovely job, Jen. I've often wondered what "shadow shading" actually looked like, and now I know! I guess it must also be a requirement that any member of the CBK Sig has to build an Airfix Bulldog. These inter-war types are very satisfying aren't they? Bring on that Montex Fury - you know you want one!

bestest,

M.

:lol: Good point Matt, maybe we should make it a requirement of joining!

I actually would prefer to build a Montex Gamecock than a Fury. It would be marvellous if they brought out a Bulldog too wouldn't it.

Jen.

I like them both equally well, though if I were offerred one (given the opportunity), I'd choose the Gladiator, for the colour scheme.

Well done for the choice of subjects as much as the quality of the builds, which look so good.