Goku - Dragonball Z

Paul B

This little figure arrived early last week just as I was getting going with the Eurofighter. This is Goku from the animated TV series Dragonball Z. He stands at around the 12cm mark, only the hands needed attaching and the main seam line ran along the upper part of the arm under the hair and along the sides of the neck, awkward to remove to say the least :closedeyes:

goku1.jpg

Shouldn't take to long to paint up, more as I go...

Edited by Paul B

Working on the skin first... White base coat, dark skin tone, then build up the layers using 'skin toned' clear coat mix.

goku2.jpg

goku3.jpg

goku4.jpg

Maybe one or two more thin layers just to reduce the white a little more, then onto the rest of the body :)

My son was really into the Dragonball Z thing for awhile. I myself couldnt stand it.

The characters did the same things, in every episode:

Fight amongst each other

Train to fight bad guys

Fight bad guys

Ultimately win

Do it all over again.

Your work on the figure, though is very nice.

Cheers guys, I hope to have the full figure painted by the end of the weekend, or early into next week at the latest. Yes, Dragonball Z was a bit on the repetitive side to say the least, the original Dragonball (Goku as a kid) had more of a story line to it rather then just fight - train - fight etc.

Questions - I'll be spraying the full figure. I use Tamiya acrylics 98% of the time only swapping over to Zero paint for the base white colour & Alclad for metallics.

Hair - black, though the figure's description (and my own) says Super Saiyan, Goku isn't actually in SS mode. How can you tell!? In SS mode Goku's hair stands straight up not swept to the side.

Boots, waist and wrist bands - blue, with yellow & red banding on the boots, the product pic shows black but blue is correct for the TV series.

Pants - orange.

Nice work Paul!! You are getting better and better with each kit. The flesh tones look quite good. Looking forward to the finished product here!!

BTW, I am about to start my 1/100 Gundam diorama with an RX-78 getting his bottom handed to him by either a gouf or a Zaku II!!

:)

Very nice Mike, hope your going to post some wip shots as you go!

A touch more on the skin clour and only just finished his boots, don't have quite enough time to mask it ready for spraying his trousers. That'll have to wait until I'm back in from work.

goku5.jpg

Masking duty is covered by Tamiya masking tape of various widths, with Humbrol Maskol applied to the really awkward areas.

Trousers and belt done, plus applied a coat of Xtracrylix Satin Varnish over everything. It's toned down the gloss, helping to bring all the shading out, especially on the skin :)

goku6.jpg

Slightly heavier shading on the back as the figures stance arches over backwards.

goku7.jpg

Great work Paul, you do that skin technique brilliantly! Have to agree with you that Goku isn't in super saiyan mode there, it looks kind of tulip shaped when he's going full bung. Great looking figure!

Paul Harrison