Ok.. I'm in with Lizzie.

Well, here's the old girl, with IP in place and glued up.

_D9O2840.jpg

I started the traditional approach to masking the canopIES today, and then ripped them all off. The AIrfix kit makes the "framing" too thick, so I'll try a different approach tomorrow by masking and spraying all horizontal lines, wait to dry, then vertical, until they're all done. I tried a similar approach on my Airfix DH88 Comet canopy, which had no framing on it, with great success.

All for now.

Toodle pip!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Jen and Karl, but I'm going to have to admit defeat here on the Lysander. I'm simply not going to be able to finish it for the end of the deadline.

Work, family and another build got in the way, and I'm still only at the stage of masking up the greenhouse canopy.

Do watch out for it in the WIP thread though. I really will try to finish it!

Cheers,

Nick

Sorry Jen and Karl, but I'm going to have to admit defeat here on the Lysander. I'm simply not going to be able to finish it for the end of the deadline.

Work, family and another build got in the way, and I'm still only at the stage of masking up the greenhouse canopy.

Do watch out for it in the WIP thread though. I really will try to finish it!

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

You do realise that I've given anyone with an existing build on the GB an extra 2 weeks to finish?? The end for you would now be the 15th May...

The work done so far is fabulous by the way, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it progress. The cockpit looks great with all that detail now! Top job!

Karl.

Nick,

You do realise that I've given anyone with an existing build on the GB an extra 2 weeks to finish?? The end for you would now be the 15th May...

The work done so far is fabulous by the way, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it progress. The cockpit looks great with all that detail now! Top job!

Karl.

In that case the Rabbit Lysander's back in business!

I decided to get on with other bits of the old girl, putting the canopy aside for a while.

So I glued on the undercarraige and the ladder, sanded the seams down, and have put together the tank. I still need to sand a little more of the tank seams down, as from certain angles, it looks like a penis.

Anyway, here's Lizzy. Waiting for the filler between the legs and fuselage to dry for sanding (along with a bit more on the rear wings), then she's off to the paint shop.

_D9O4889.jpg

Cheers,

Nick

Ooooooooh, Nick I've seen kits of lizzies around since the '60's. I don't know that I've ever seen one finished............honestly. I do believe that this is going to be worth the wait. Looking spiffiy so far mate!!

Well, got the old girl sprayed up.

_D9O4998.jpg

The landing lights were pure fantasy, and stuck WAY too far off the spats. I'm not going to bottom too much around with building anything else, so I cut up some foil, slapped that in there, and will just fill the hole up with Klear.

I'll be gloss coating her later prior to putting the decals on.

I still have to mask the fecking canopy, and need to do a bit of fixing up of the prop as I splintered a bit off cutting it from the sprue.

Also need to mask off the front of the cowling for the metal ring part of the nose. Tricky methinks.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Nick

Also need to mask off the front of the cowling for the metal ring part of the nose. Tricky methinks.

Looks good Nicholas :)

How about dropping it on its nose, and using a pencil or blade (spaced away from the table top top the correct height) to mark the edge of the ring? You can then mask to that line. Either that, or mask the whole nose, THEN use the above technique & the remove the part of the mask you don't want.

I'm full of ideas today. You never know... one might be a good one! :analintruder:

Looks good Nicholas :)

How about dropping it on its nose, and using a pencil or blade (spaced away from the table top top the correct height) to mark the edge of the ring? You can then mask to that line. Either that, or mask the whole nose, THEN use the above technique & the remove the part of the mask you don't want.

I'm full of ideas today. You never know... one might be a good one! :analintruder:

Thankyou Michael.

Or mask the nose, drop it on it's nose and use a scalpel to cut away the unwanted paper?

Brilliant!

I do have my flashes of inspiration... just make sure you keep it steady while you're spinning it... could get messy otherwise ;)

Here she is with the decals on, and the nose painted.

_D9O5357.jpg

The decals were a nightmare. Massive amounts of silvering which didn't go away with Klear, so I had to remove them (by removing the Klear coat with Windex & water), Klear them and then put them on again. This also included making little nicks in them as the ribbing was not letting them settle. They ain't perfect, but they'll do.

I sprayed the nose ring using Mikes tip above. I masked the nose, turned it on it's nose, and cut around a scalpel blade, removed what I wanted and then sprayed with Mithril silver and an overspray of Tamiya smoke. Got a bit of touching up to do, but it's alright.

The wings are done, the prop's done, the wing struts are done, and all that's needed is to finish masking the canopy to spray it.

Then it'll all go together in sub assemblies.

I'll have to give it a satin varnish first, as it's way too shiny as a result of drowning the decals in Klear.

How am I doing for time Karl?

Cheers,

Nick

That's looking very nice.

Got to ask though....

I'll be gloss coating her later prior to putting the decals on.

Given the beautiful finish you achieved with the matt black which you then glossed, why didn't you paint it gloss black to start with?

That's looking very nice.

Got to ask though....

Given the beautiful finish you achieved with the matt black which you then glossed, why didn't you paint it gloss black to start with?

Thanks Roland.

To answer your question.. I don't have any glossy acrylic paint and I'm not in the mood to spray enamel! ;)

Fair cop!!

I know the feeling on the enamel. I have stacks of tins of enamel but seem to be slowly replacing them all with acrylic - soooo much easier.

Same here, but it's not so easy for me to replace with acrylics. I need to find a store that's willing to post them via air mail.

I find it's easier to steal a moment to do a quick spray using acrylics. Spray, strip the airbrush down and plonk the bits in IPA.