Ok.. I'm in with Lizzie.

It's a fair cop Karl. I'll get to work on it tonight!

AIRF02053.jpg

Was going to do a DH-2, but then, that was RFC pre 1st April 1918, and far too much rigging to finish it in a month!

This one's going to be all blick, just like the one at Shuttleworth that I loved seeing fly last year.

Nick von STOL

Ha! I knew you'd have to have a go... I just wasn't expecting something with only 2 wings from you!

Excellent choice otherwise, let's see some progress then!

Karl.

2 wings much easier given the time constraint! Not much progress at the mo. Dipped the canopies in Klear, and I'm just figuring out now whether or not to scratchbuild a cockpit for it.. I probably will though. The Airfix kit has nothing in it, and it's awfully large..

Nick

Ok, based on peer pressure I've screwed myself into having to make a cockpit for me Lizzie..

The supplied bits of the Airfix cockpit won't be used at all, apart from one of the seats. There's basically bugger all there anyway, apart from two wholly inaccurate "egg shaped" bits of plastic, which fit into sidewall grooves, onto which the pilots and observer/SOE agent's seats are glued.

I've already sanded these down, but you can make out where the grooves used to be.

I'm going to make a basic tubular frame from guitar strings and overlay flooring and upper areas made from phone card. I've already started cutting some up. They're a little ragged, but it's 1/72nd scale, so I'm not that worried about exact measurements.

_D9O2735.jpg

I've drilled out the holes in the side for the ladder, and tat's where I am so far.

Will try to crack on with some more cockpit this afternoon.

Cheers,

Nick

I decided against making a frame outside the cockpit and then inserting it. Too much hassle for my feeble scratchbuilding skills.

So, using a cut up guitar string, I started making the sidewall framing, and will drop everything in on top of that.

_D9O2743.jpg

Please forgive the inaccurate sidewall part at the rear of the fuselage. It should kink down instead of up, but as each piece of string is 5mm in length, and as that bit will mostly be obscured, I can't be arsed with accuracies.

I've got a petrol tank made from bits of card, and when the glue's dry, I'll dry fit that.

Now, to figure out how to make the rest of the frame....

Nick

Hi Nick,

Love the framework your adding to the interior! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the detailing!

Don't let Karl bug at you too much. You can always add the little wing thingies they had on the spats.

That would sort of give you the "four" wings!

Ted

Well, made some progress. It's fiddly, but I'm really enjoying it.

I cut up some guitar strings (a g-string in case anyone's wondering!) and used those as cross fuselage supports over which all of the other bits and bobs rest.

I made the petrol tank from cut up card and two bits of tape, and have used the control stick from the spares box. I've got a control panel from there too, and they've both come from a 1/72nd Revell Hurricane. The gubbins on the sidewalls are card, and the wheel's made from rubbish bag tie and guitar string.

The other framework has been made from the ties that come with rubbish bags, and the lot's glued in, firstly with PVA, and then superglue.

_D9O2744.jpg

_D9O2746.jpg

I've made some rear flooring from card, and that'll be glued in later on today.

_D9O2748.jpg

I had initially hoped to pose the Lizzie with the cockpit open, but it ain't possible with this framing, so I'm not going to bother with any more cockpit detail apart from seatbelts.

The whole lot should be ready for spraying later today

More later.

Cheers,

Nick

The cockpit's done. Here's a very quick shot, but I'll do some other ones tomorrow after all the glue's set and I can open the fuselage.

_D9O2753.jpg

Box of matches top left, pliers bottom left and and a box of micro drills top right for scale... :hypnotised:

That's all for now. Off to bed.

Tata,

Nick