More silver wings - Matchbox Gladiator

One of a pair I started on Saturday (ok, I know it's an early start)

Going together v nicely, just a bit of filler under the port wing in each case

One will be 87 Sqdn with the green wiggle stripe, as at Hendon, the other yet to be decided

GLAD3.jpg

GLAD4.jpg

Who knows,might even finish one...

Pete

Cool, I was going to have a look around at Cosford for one of these. I remember building one as a kid years ago, about time for another try I think!

The green stripe one sounds good, look forward to seeing the progress...

Like the lego jig! ;)

Karl.

I agree the jig is a treat. Now I gotta get some Lego's!

• 3 weeks later...

Ted, thanks for the original artwork, very nice.

Painfully slow progress, but at least she's standing on her own legs - might just get a coat of silver on tonight

gladprogress.jpg

So should it it be all one tone, Gladiators appear to be silver all over, rather than bare metal and doped silver?

Also a nice piccy with some interesting artwork, but what's that mounted on the wing - a gun camera, a generator

GladiatorK7974popeye1.jpg

Pete

Potato Pete, is that an original release kit or a later release? I ask because I'd like to obtain a good set of No.73 Squadron markings.

I do have an older set of Matchbox Gladiator decals, but was wondering if any of the later releases had better decals. If you need any extra decals, I do have a spare set of the Revell 1998 re-release that has a nice looking sheet. I can't say what quality the decals are, but Revell's are usually pretty good. The sheet covers a silver machine of No.3 Sq. at Kenley, 1937 and a comouflaged machine of No.112 Sq., Sudan 1940.

DB,

I've got a couple of sets of the Matchbox 73 Sqdn sets you're welcome to, I won't be using them. They look usable, but the red of the roundel on both sets is slightly out of register - worse on one set than the other. Drop me a pm if you want them.

Pete

Got some silver on, looking ok but will probably give it another coat

glad.jpg

The only problem so far has been blending the undercarriage legs/fuselage join.

Oh and half the tailplane deciding to fall off.....

And masking the canopy, can't mask canopies for toffee

Getting there slowly.

Finally got the upper mainplane on.

glad2-1.jpg

It was a bit of a :rant: moment, but I finally realised one of the cabane struts was just a touch too long and once I'd clipped it back a millimetre it went on. There are a few gluely blobs but hopefully they'll clean up. Had a moment of doubt over the weekend - wasn't sure I liked my choice of markings, but with the upper mainplane on, it is beginning to look the part.

Pete

Edited by Potato Pete

I know that's a Matchbox kit, but those holes in the wings and tailplanes make the mouldings look a lot like the Heller kit.

Pete, did you pre-drill the rigging holes?

Guest Drewe
Thought you might like the original art work for that to print out next to the model but don't tell Roy

GladiatorPK8.jpg

regards

You know, when I saw that I blinked and I was back in 1977 spending my weekly pocket money! When Mr Huxley was good, he was jawdroppingly good wasn't he?

And look what I found! :- The Roy Huxley Files