Red Arrows Hawk at RAF Museum Hendon

PHIL B

Hi Folks,

Obi-Jiff told me that someone on ATF had visited the RAF Museum at Hendon yesterday and seen a RA Hawk parked outside the Milestones Of Flight building with only traffic cones around it.

I just phoned the museum. I was told it is there for today's 90th anniversary celebrations and the museum is closed to the public.

The Hawk will be removed tomorrow but they didn't know what time it would happen.

So, if you get your skates on tomorrow morning, it should still be there.

Phil von WishingIwasn'tworkingtomorrow! :angry:

Hi Phil, as will be seen from my other post, I was at the museum yesterday to be presented with a Veterans Badge, unfortunately, I did not get up close to the Hawk, so I cannot confirm if it was a real 'Arrows' one or a plastic model, I would presume that it was of the 'Airfix' type.

Robin.

It is the plastic one. I saw them lowering the gear on it - a task which involved a hand held hydraulic pump. Not the real thing alas.

If I had the faintest idea how to post pics I'd prove it!!! (Though they're pretty ropey - taken with my phone).

Kirk

Edited to add: PS/The plastic Harrier GR7 is there too.

Edited by Kirk

It is the plastic one. I saw them lowering the gear on it - a task which involved a hand held hydraulic pump. Not the real thing alas.

If I had the faintest idea how to post pics I'd prove it!!! (Though they're pretty ropey - taken with my phone).

Kirk

Edited to add: PS/The plastic Harrier GR7 is there too.

Ah well, thanks for the confirmation guys.

BTW, I still don't understand why the RAF museum doesn't have a Hawk in it. I know all the flyable airframes are in use (or am I wrong?) but surely there have been enough damaged airframes to concoct one for display? Surely an ideal project for trainee technicians of various trades?

Phil.

Ah well, thanks for the confirmation guys.

BTW, I still don't understand why the RAF museum doesn't have a Hawk in it. I know all the flyable airframes are in use (or am I wrong?) but surely there have been enough damaged airframes to concoct one for display? Surely an ideal project for trainee technicians of various trades?

Phil.

Ideally they'd get XX154, but that's still busy at Boscombe Down.

Probably because the Hawk fleet is still very active and any non operational airframes are propabably being used for spares.

Kirk,

How to post pictures is in the FAQ here.

HTH,

Ian

Thanks Ian.

Found out I didn't take the "whole aircraft" picture I thought. In fact, the images I took turn out to have been mostly of the trailer. I only popped in to take a quick look at something on the Pegasus engine. Anyway, if this works, here you go:

[it didn't work - the forum doesn't like images from Windows Live Spaces, but I can post a URL if anyone is bursting. :suicide: ]

Kirk