Fujimi 1/72 Phantom FGR2

Been years since I built my Fujimi FGR2 'Firebird', but IIRC, the box artwork is an accurate reflection of what ordnance is in the kit - no AIM-9s? Even more bizarre on the artwork is the strike camera, though!

is that the triangular protrusion under the left intake? thats been bugging me.

plus the forward Sky Flash looks like its mounted on the centerline. and why would you want rocket pods on what appears to be an intercept mission? the SUU-23 pod looks like its mounted nose-down too.

* pedant mode off *

;)

Agreen that the boxart does look a bit silly.

Air defence scheme bird, armed for ground strike - and encountering Reds, over land.

Mine will be completed as that aircraft, in that scheme, with 2 wing tanks, cannon, 4 Sidewinders and 4 Sky Flash missiles.

Much more appropriate.

The armament configuration in this kit is down to the way that Fujimi tooled the kits in the first place.....The FG1/F4K kits were the "fighters" and had 'winders moulded on the same sprue as the extended nose gear, whereas the FGR2/F4M kits had the "mud-shifting/tank busting/PR" sprues with the non-extended gear.

The fictitious artwork just reflects the contents of the box.....

all that said, it's still a pretty cool picture...

If I posted another picture today - it would look VERY similar.

Today I airbrushed the inner wings with Medium Sea Grey, and the undersurfaces with Light Aircraft Grey.

A lot of undercarriage components are also painted.

At Cosford I realised that Phreak has already built this aircraft - so I looked for another that will be unique.

I found this http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Mc...Phantom/0573416

which looks doable with mostly kit decals - and has a sharkmouth.

Now what colour Humbrol for that tail?

looks the same red as the red on the sharkmouth to me.

nice build so far,but ,and i might be wrong :undecided: but, between the canopies the small window ,portside was usually blanked off and a small periscope was fitted for the nav to visually boresight enemy planes, :pilot: i believe that this was retrofited to all fgr2`s eventually? :hmmm:

nice build so far,but ,and i might be wrong :undecided: but, between the canopies the small window ,portside was usually blanked off and a small periscope was fitted for the nav to visually boresight enemy planes, :pilot: i believe that this was retrofited to all fgr2`s eventually? :hmmm:

Oops, :doh: never noticed that - and it's there on the photo.

Cheers. :drink:

similar to the FGR2 at Hendon.............

Latest progress, just completed the decals - all stencils.

AA_Phantom004-1.jpg

About to mask the canopy again, ready for matt varnish tomorrow morning.

AA_Phantom005.jpg

The rest is just assembly, as undercarriage and weapons are all painted.

Feeling confident about completion by deadline now.