Welcome!

Welcome to the Britmodeller '90 years of the RAF' Group Build!

Your hosts for this speed GB will be myself and Jen (Desmojen)... any questions then feel free to ask!

This Group Build will celebrate 90 years of the Royal Air Force and will 'hopefully' include aircraft from all era's. Please feel free to join in and add your planned build to this thread... With only a month to run there is no expectation of pure masterpieces, so just get in there and build something. Let's make this a good celebration!!

The Rules :-

The GB will run from 1st April to 1st May

Only RAF aircraft allowed (but you have got 90 years to choose from!!)

No What If's

And most of all have fun!

That's it!

Right then, who's in on this one??? No excuses for not taking part!!

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

And here's me chiming in! :D

Me and Deezer are your hosts again, this time for a celebration of our Royal Air Force. Lets hop our finished builds are a little more inspiring than the planned flypast!

I'm not 100% sure what I will build yet, I may even run a poll ;)

Jen.

OK, time to commit...

I'll be doing some tarting up of an Airfix F.1 1/72 kit, rescribing etc... It'll be done in 226 OCU colours and will be posed in a take-off diorama. I'll be making my own decals for it too...

B)

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking a 1/32 Revell Spitfire Mk I (the Hasegawa kit with new wings).

Ted Barrett

Sorry guys I missed this topic completely and as serving RAF I guess I should have volunteered to help host.

Anyway I'm in but not sure what I have in the stash. I am part way though a Nimrod but I guess as it isn't the 1st yet that wont count. I think I have a 1/48th Spit or a 1/72 Typhoon (the jet one for Erwin ;) ) in the stash that I have wanted to start for a while. Will confirm once I have been home this weekend

Only 5 of us so far... Come on people!!!... a simple build over a month, it's gotta be done.

Let's get some enthusiam going here!!! Jump on in with something... you know you want to ;)

Karl.

OK! :sorry:

Count me in with something 'tween wars with two wings. Not sure what yet and will surf the stash this PM!

Christian

Sun and snow in Uppsala!

Hi,

Some might know that the same GB will start on LSP but then for 32 nd scale and larger.

Anyway.There is some debate on LSP over the fact that RAF is not all planes in British markings.

For example the WW-2 Martlet (Wildcat) didn't fly with the RAF but the Royal Navy.

So what will be allowed in this GB ?

ALL planes in Britisch marking (RAF,RN,coastal command,etc...)AND being foreingn build.

With that I mean for example again the US build Wildcat in RN markings.

Or is this GB strickly for British build planes in RAF markings ? Or does RAF stand for any plane flying in British service ?

Edited by Erwin

Hi,

Some might know that the same GB will start on LSP but then for 32 nd scale and larger.

Anyway.There is some debate on LSP over the fact that RAF is not all planes in British markings.

For example the WW-2 Martlet (Wildcat) didn't fly with the RAF but the Royal Navy.

So what will be allowed in this GB ?

ALL planes in Britisch marking (RAF,RN,coastal command,etc...)AND being foreingn build.

With that I mean for example again the US build Wildcat in RN markings.

Or is this GB strickly for British build planes in RAF markings ? Or does RAF stand for any plane flying in British service ?

Erwin,

It's pretty easy really :shrug:

Anything that has ever flown in the RAF is eligible. The RAF is not the same as the FAA and never has been. Coastal Command is (was) part of the RAF anyway.

So, any aircraft, built anywhere that served with the RAF is eligible. That includes a few captured Luftwaffe machines if you really want to push the point, since they were on the books and had RAF serials allocated.

There's a very comprehensive list here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_of_the_RAF

Jen.

Sorry guys I missed this topic completely and as serving RAF I guess I should have volunteered to help host.

Anyway I'm in but not sure what I have in the stash. I am part way though a Nimrod but I guess as it isn't the 1st yet that wont count. I think I have a 1/48th Spit or a 1/72 Typhoon (the jet one for Erwin ;) ) in the stash that I have wanted to start for a while. Will confirm once I have been home this weekend

Nimrod is fine Roland if that's what you want to enter. Being a short duration GB, I'm not going to get overly anal about people using already started models. Within reason of course!

Jen.

The RAF is not the same as the FAA and never has been

PEDANTIC MODE - ON

Jen

Are you sure of that? IIRC the original title of the the FAA was the "Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force". It originally covered the RAF units allocated to the Fleet. And according to Wiki was part of the RAF from its formation on 1st April 1924 until control was formally handed over to the Admiralty on 14 May 1937.

Therefore, technically, Erwin could do any FAA aircraft between 1924 and 1937 - sadly I don't think that covers the Wildcat!!

But we are getting into the realms of pedantry!!

PEDANTIC MODE - OFF

Got your PM. I will have a think. I am remote from the RAF at present but will see what I can do.

PEDANTIC MODE - ON

Jen

Are you sure of that? IIRC the original title of the the FAA was the "Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force". It originally covered the RAF units allocated to the Fleet. And according to Wiki was part of the RAF from its formation on 1st April 1924 until control was formally handed over to the Admiralty on 14 May 1937.

Therefore, technically, Erwin could do any FAA aircraft between 1924 and 1937 - sadly I don't think that covers the Wildcat!!

But we are getting into the realms of pedantry!!

PEDANTIC MODE - OFF

Got your PM. I will have a think. I am remote from the RAF at present but will see what I can do.

I bow to your superior Wiki searching and knowledge and humbly apologise for disseminating incorrect information! :blush:

Seriously, I didn't know that :D

Jen.

I was only using the Wildcat/Martlet as an example of the possible problems that could come up if we start discussing what is RAF and isn't.

Hi Jen & Karl.

I was wondering if I may come & play in your GB.

I'm afraide that aircraft are not my first love, unless they are Italian, USN, Propliners, Civilian Utility........ok, so I like aircraft :blush: I just dont have any RAF ones. :fraidnot:

So, cap in hand & with a reverential stoop I'm asking if I could join in with this.

2008_0328RAF0001-1.jpg

.....Tugs forlock, holds breath.........falls over with oxygen starvation .......is revived with kiss of life from Bella Emberg.....recoveres instantly & is violently ill.

DD