Revell 1/48th Harrier GR7/9

John B (Sc)

I have one waiting to be built and have already built the Hasegawa boxing. I think it's a good kit other than a problem with the seat and LERX which is highlighted in another thread from some weeks ago. I think the Revell boxing comes with a better choice of decals with options for the white tailed 41(F) Sqn, another 41(F) Sqn and a 4 Sqn aircraft. My only other problem is with the lack of stores, you only get a couple of AIM-9's and drop tanks.

It's a pretty nice kit. Again it's Hasegawa's so except for the decals almost anything said about any of The 48th Harriers will be appropriate to your kit.

Two minuses:

Lack of weapons, not surprising for a Hasegawa kit but frustrating for a lack of modern RAF weapons or single rail Maverick launchers. Two drop tanks and a pair of Sidewinders

The 65% LERX versus the 100% one. As much as I hate to admit this being a fan of Harriers I honestly cannot tell the differance between them BUT it is one of Two Mikes Resins first bits, so go and look at thier forum in The traders section.

Much is made of construction problems with the nose, intake and wing area to The fuselage. I never had any problems on my two builds but I had two or three magazine articles (Military in Scale and a couple I cannot remember) and threads over on Aircraft Resource Center to help me out. Just head over there and use the search function in the Jets section and you should be able to find appropriate threads with Hasegawa Harrier as The search parameters.

For in The box reviews from our own Bill Clark

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....&hl=Harrier

This one has construction tips and a couple of linked threads about midway down, Jon Byrons are basically what I have followed.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....&hl=Harrier

HTH

Happy Modeling

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

The 65% LERX versus the 100% one. As much as I hate to admit this being a fan of Harriers I honestly cannot tell the differance between them BUT it is one of Two Mikes Resins first bits, so go and look at thier forum in The traders section.

Have a look at the two pics below. The easiest way to tell them apart is by looking at the two small engine bay intakes behind the cockpit. On the 65% aircraft they are a small hole buried in the corner of the wingroot but on the extended lerx they are moved out and up to a position just behind the lerx as the lerx extension covers their original position.

65% Lerx

100% Lerx

In plastic have a look at the 65% Lerx on the Monogram Harrier or the Desert Storm boxing of the Hasegawa kit and compare it to the 100% one on the Hasegawa AV-8B+.

Have a look at the two pics below. The easiest way to tell them apart is by looking at the two small engine bay intakes behind the cockpit. On the 65% aircraft they are a small hole buried in the corner of the wingroot but on the extended lerx they are moved out and up to a position just behind the lerx as the lerx extension covers their original position.

65% Lerx

100% Lerx

In plastic have a look at the 65% Lerx on the Monogram Harrier or the Desert Storm boxing of the Hasegawa kit and compare it to the 100% one on the Hasegawa AV-8B+.

aaahhhh......riiiiggghhht

I'm glad it wasn't just me that couldn't see the wood for the trees

thanx