Airfix TARDIS - work in progress

John

An Easter holiday project for Andrew, with a bit of help from Dad. There's a look in the box here:

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9973

First job was to paint the interior parts, Humbrol 63 was used to give the sandy colour typical of the interior. The floor is partly Tamiya Brown and partly Sky Grey.

It goes together very well but the long edge of each side needs care since there is a sort of "ledge and rebate" system to hold things in place rather that pins and holes - reminds me a bit of the Lifeboat hull!

Tardis1.jpg

Tardis2.jpg

Tardis3.jpg

The insides of the windows were painted acrylic 28 from the pots that came with the set, but unfortunately that isn't a colour available in the general acrylic range so it needs to be used sparingly.

John

Not wishing to be an Airfix basher but the interior looks nothing like the real thing :P

Not yet, but we will work our magic! :evil_laugh:

John

Edited by John

Not wishing to be an Airfix basher but the interior looks nothing like the real thing :P

Black Box did an interior set for the Tardis but no amount of sanding down would get the b**ger to fit!

An Easter holiday project for Andrew, with a bit of help from Dad. There's a look in the box here:

The insides of the windows were painted acrylic 28 from the pots that came with the set, but unfortunately that isn't a colour available in the general acrylic range so it needs to be used sparingly.

John

I built mine and painted them out of the pots in the box and had plenty left over, even 28.

Ted

I built mine and painted them out of the pots in the box and had plenty left over, even 28.

Ted

Some of the painting here is being done by an enthusiastic 8-year-old! :rolleyes:

John

The control console and time rotor under construction. Except for the shroud at the top it's all moulded in clear plastic, so you can go to town with your special effects.

Tardis4.jpg

The bright green lighting effect inside the time rotor is created by a piece of fluorescent green paper rolled into a tube. Viewed through the facets of the transparent parts, looks very effective. The shroud is painted Humbrol acrylic Hemp, because I had some lying handy!

John

Its totally underscale. If (insert kit company here) had made this kit it would have been better, cheaper, had better decals, better detail, the Doctor would have been more accurate and looked more like William Hartnell, my medication would be cheaper...

Can I ask the mods to set up a charity box for every "if they're doing a Kylie I'll volunteer to hold the tape measure, fnar fnar.."?

Now, I must get back to measuring John Barrowman. :analintruder:

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Avoid his inside leg.

Reminds me of when we used to do life drawing at art college and we used to have a male model whom none of th us were keen on, even the girls in the class. One day the teacher decided to keep the same pose so my mate had to draw around him like one of those chalk outlines at a murder scene. Three quarter of the way up his inside leg, the chalk breaks...

Can I ask the mods to set up a charity box for every "if they're doing a Kylie I'll volunteer to hold the tape measure, fnar fnar.."?

Not me!

Now if it was Carey Mulligan or Lucy Gaskell (Sparrow and Nightingale from 'Blink')........

Now, I must get back to measuring John Barrowman. "analintruder"

Was that a deliberate choice of emoticon?

• 2 weeks later...

The console with an overall coat of Tamiya Deck Tan prior to adding shading. The time rotor column is masked off with Tamiya tape.

Tardis5.jpg

Tamiya Deck Tan is almost exactly the same colour as Humbrol Hemp!

John