Last shop down ? !

John B (Sc)

Oops - a sign of the times I guess.

The last model / toy shop branch I know of in my nearest town (Aberdeen) is closing, to become a coffee shop. Typical. At least the staff will be staying on, retraining. Will seem odd to get coffee & cakes from them instead of plastic.

Pity - they are nice folk, very helpful. Now where will I get paint and glue - kits at least can be ordered by mail, but paint and so forth - not so good.

My wife will be pleased, fewer drop in purchases to confess to.

Looks like more runs to model shows, or forays to Edinburgh, are on the cards - unless there are any wee shops tucked away here that I haven't seen.

John B

Relish models for a start........

Ed

The last model / toy shop branch I know of in my nearest town (Aberdeen) is closing, to become a coffee shop. Typical. At least the staff will be staying on, retraining. Will seem odd to get coffee & cakes from them instead of plastic.

Pity - they are nice folk, very helpful. Now where will I get paint and glue - kits at least can be ordered by mail, but paint and so forth - not so good.

Looks like more runs to model shows, or forays to Edinburgh, are on the cards - unless there are any wee shops tucked away here that I haven't seen.

John B

Hmm - Inverurie. Thanks Bob. I thought someone had mentioned a shop there a while back, wasn't sure. Must investigate. I know there is another up by the Moray coast - and one in Elgin.

Relish Models? That's Yorkshire isn't it - or do they have a place further North?

' fraid not- but his stock levels are live and service 2nd to none

Ed

Hmm - Inverurie. Thanks Bob. I thought someone had mentioned a shop there a while back, wasn't sure. Must investigate. I know there is another up by the Moray coast - and one in Elgin.

Relish Models? That's Yorkshire isn't it - or do they have a place further North?

John B

Not the Toy Bazaar? Was in there on Thursday. They were such a big part of my childhood, when they were in the little street below Union Street

Not the Toy Bazaar? Was in there on Thursday. They were such a big part of my childhood, when they were in the little street below Union Street

Yep - that's the one. I was in on Thursday too - late afternoon - when I heard their news.

Shame.

John B

Yep - that's the one. I was in on Thursday too - late afternoon - when I heard their news.

Shame.

John B

I'm in much the same boat myself, no model shops left in the immediate area, you'll have to go inter web like most of us these days.

Theres a Toymasters in Elgin which is getting better and just as I was leaving Scotland last year a new model shop was opening in Inverness.

Whereabouts in Inverness? I'm off up there on Friday and was planning a visit to the shop in the arcade, but another venue's always welcome!

John

The last model / toy shop branch I know of in my nearest town (Aberdeen) is closing, to become a coffee shop.

Weren't Brian Sheriff based in Aberdeen?

Always wondered what happened to them.

Don't know if they ever had a shop, but they certainly got a fair bit of my money via mail order!!

Mart

Weren't Brian Sheriff based in Aberdeen?

Always wondered what happened to them.

Don't know if they ever had a shop, but they certainly got a fair bit of my money via mail order!!

Mart

Yes they were. Real memory lane stuff. Very fine shop - my mainstay for radio control models mostly, not so great on plastic, when I was a kid. (This was back when Woolies did Airfix bagged kits for 1/11 and 2/11) Originally on George Street, then later on a side street.

They closed down in Aberdeen long time back - about 15 - 20years ago. They had shrunk a bit by then, then had a fire - a lot of stuff got sold off after that.

Their shop in Dundee lasted a bit longer, also now gone I believe

John B

Scoonie Hobbies

St Clair St

Kirkcaldy

Broad mix of stuff

Jamisons Models

Saltmarket

Glasgow

Mainly if not all kits and bits,this place is a gold mine

Marionville Models

Turnhouse Road (along from Edinburgh Airport)Good mix, heavy on the R/C

These are my local shops

Yes they were. Real memory lane stuff. Very fine shop - my mainstay for radio control models mostly, not so great on plastic, when I was a kid. (This was back when Woolies did Airfix bagged kits for 1/11 and 2/11) Originally on George Street, then later on a side street.

They closed down in Aberdeen long time back - about 15 - 20years ago. They had shrunk a bit by then, then had a fire - a lot of stuff got sold off after that.

Their shop in Dundee lasted a bit longer, also now gone I believe

The Dundee shop's been gone for quite a while. I used to drop in while visiting my sister-in-law in Carnoustie.

John

It's getting a little bit like local fishing tackle shops that are closing down due to bigger retailers like 'Fishing Republic' who now have superstores springing up in big towns & cities in the north like Doncaster, Barnsley, Hull etc and spreading to a town near you !

Hobbystore could take the high street market for model kits eventually, the Internet is also obviously to blame innit.

Whereabouts in Inverness? I'm off up there on Friday and was planning a visit to the shop in the arcade, but another venue's always welcome!

John

The shop that was in the Vitorian Market arcade thing has gone, closed last year. The new model shop is Inverness Model Shop, 25 Grant street.

not been myself but apparently not too bad.

Inverness model shop

We didn't have time to get to the Grant Street shop, but we did notice that they also had a stall in the Eastgate Shopping Centre. We'll check out the shop next time we're up.

John