Airspeed to build DC-2's?

Martin H

While doing some research on captured Fokker built DC-3's(ex Sabena and KLM birds) i happened across a small note on one site that mentioned that Fokker signed an Agreement with Airspeed in 1935 to build DC-2's (as the Airspeed AS-23) in the UK for the Empire market. after digging a little further I found that a registartion had been reserved for a prototype (G-ADHO), it went no further and the registration was later cancelled. Im just wondering weather airpeed had its own "house colors" as im itching to dig out the MPM DC-2 in the stash for this one or even better would the RAF have seen the plus side and got its hands on some.......hmmm DC-2/AS-23 in battle of france markings.......tempting, very tempting.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went through my library tonight and this is what I found in general on Douglas DC 1/2/3 licence building by Fokker and subcontracting to Airspeed:

From " Fokker : Bouwer aan de werelduchtvaart" ISBN 9022838781 (all in dutch so i write a summary for you here;0

The appearance in 1933 of the all metal streamlined DC1, prototype to the DC2 production models, ended the running discussions between Albert Plesman (CEO of KLM) and Anthony Fokker on future aircraft designs by Fokker as the sole airplane provider for KLM immediately. Fokker was -even then, as the worlds, or at least European leading civil aircraft manufacturer- not able to change his manufacturing process from metal tubing with doped fabric and wood wing construction to all metal at that time; plainly for the reason of cost during the recession still running in the early 30's; he also failed to obtain government funding for such projects.

After the appearance of the DC-1; Plesman and Fokker seperately but immediately contacted Douglas about the DC1, with only a few weeks in between. Plesman asking queries on November 8th, 1933 but Fokker already offering his services as a licencee for Douglas on oct 27th, 1933.

History still debates if Plesman pushed Fokker to go for a licencee contract or not, but on jan 15, 1934 Fokker signed a agreement with Douglas in the USA for license construction and sales (except of Russia) of the DC 2, later extended for the DC3. The contract was worth $100.000

Fokker's own designs the F20,22 and 36 were commercial failure's in those days but the Douglas licence production was profitable: in total Fokker sold 39 DC2's and built and sold 46 DC3's, mainly due to the efforts of Mr Seekatz; Fokkers Sales Manager. Fokker never produced the DC-'2s; all metal construction never entered pre-war in his main factories in Europe, but there was final assembling of 'DC 2/3 US built sub-assemblies in Cherbourg and customer delivery/payment executed by Fokker.

On January 25 1934 Fokker entered into an agreement with Airspeed to build DC-2/3's and Fokker's own designs. Airspeed however, by that time, had full orderbooks for their own designs with the threat of war in Europe arising at the horizon, so neither DC-2/3's or other Fokker models were ever built by Airspeed. The contract however did provide Fokker with a incentive percentage on each plane Airspeed built, Fokker, DC2/3 or Airspeed; a clever business move on Fokker's side.

Have some interesting pics to this subject as well; will upload later...

Your remarks about the MPM kit however have triggered me to finish mine as the Fokker DC2 promo plane; rather than the dayglo orange prewar KLM model...

That Desert cammo you talk about, VG 33 I have never seen.. any pics?

regards

Skybert

Edited by Skybert

I

Have some interesting pics to this subject as well; will upload later...

Here they are:

Airspeed%20agreement.jpg

DC2%20Fokker%20demo.jpg

DC3%20CLS%20Cherbourg.jpg

DC3%20Cherbourg%20001.jpg

Edited by Skybert

That Desert cammo you talk about, VG 33 I have never seen.. any pics?

regards

Skybert

Hi

In the 4+ Publication about the DC-2 family there is a picture and a colour profile of AX767 #N which started life as a TWA liner, was later operated by 117 and 31 Squadron, RAF, in Western Desert and India, next was in US Army as a C-32A (s/n 42-58071) and finally in Indian National Airlines as VT-ARA.

When I build my DC-2 I will make her as the camouflaged General Franco's personal transport around 1938 and named "Capitan Vara de Rey".

Patrick

• 1 month later...