Harrier and Hunter

Here are two of my entries for this GB.

Hasegawa 1/72

Harrier_GR1_RAF1_XV778_001.jpg

Revell 1/72

Hunter_F_Mk_6_RAF56_XF526_001.jpg

I will post some progress pics hopefully either during or at the end of the weekend.

A good choice! My second build - after the Lightning F3-will most likely be a Harrier GR1 of No 1 Sqn., a good bit of 1/48th GR3 bashing -

BUT cautionary note Andy - The Harrier force in 1969-70 were in a high gloss finish with Red/White/Blue markings; The initial scheme had a No 1 Sqn badge above the fin flash, this was replaced by a white code letter......

A good choice! My second build - after the Lightning F3-will most likely be a Harrier GR1 of No 1 Sqn., a good bit of 1/48th GR3 bashing -

BUT cautionary note Andy - The Harrier force in 1969-70 were in a high gloss finish with Red/White/Blue markings; The initial scheme had a No 1 Sqn badge above the fin flash, this was replaced by a white code letter......

Thanks Bill - looks like I wont be doing it as XV778 either - its first flight wasn't until Mar 1970, and didn't get delivered til Apr 1970. Looks like a hunt through the decal stash to see if I can find the necessary markings prior to XV757.

Thanks Bill - looks like I wont be doing it as XV778 either - its first flight wasn't until Mar 1970, and didn't get delivered til Apr 1970. Looks like a hunt through the decal stash to see if I can find the necessary markings prior to XV757.

Ah!!! my ole favourite XV778 ..........RED "16"; Here she is as she would have looked (more-or-less) in June 1982.......

(Photo credit to Mr D. Fleming!!! I think?)

42da1764.jpg

Open question - do you think there's mileage in an "early RAF Harrier" decal sheet, if so what schemes/aircraft?

Anything Harrier gets my vote Jonathan! Be nice to see a couple of the very early GR-1s in the gloss finish and at least one in the 'winter' white scheme.

Then all we'd need is a decent bang-up-to-date kit to stick them on to.

Anything Harrier gets my vote Jonathan! Be nice to see a couple of the very early GR-1s in the gloss finish and at least one in the 'winter' white scheme.

I'd like a winter Harrier :D

Open question - do you think there's mileage in an "early RAF Harrier" decal sheet, if so what schemes/aircraft?

Absolutely - but as no one seems to want to pick the gaunlet up, I personally think a sheet covering early Harriers, Phantoms, Buccaneers and possibly Jaguars (1968 - 1972 ish) would have wider appeal. Shiny finished jets!

Always liked the Harrier OCU badge with the Grasshopper on it.

Hmm...Let me have a long, hard think about this one................................

Yeah Okay!!!

That said...and any jocularity to one side, many of the early GR1 schemes-certainly squadron markings, would be applicable to later GR3 and even GR5/7 schemes.

AFAIK the only early hi-viz markings were worn by no 1 Sqn (plus one photo of a IVSqn A/C), but any other GR1 schemes - particulalry accurate 233 OCU markings would be more than welcome!! And how much space would 3 & 20 Sqn bars take up on a decal sheet!!

Indeed, we could do with a 21st Century quality 1st gen Harrier in all 3 scales.....Trumpeter's forthcoming 1/32 Harriers are 2nd gen IIRC.

Indeed, we could do with a 21st Century quality 1st gen Harrier in all 3 scales.....Trumpeter's forthcoming 1/32 Harriers are 2nd gen IIRC.

Perhaps they'll get around to it yet. He said, praying. :pray:

Where's the fun in that? What, No re-scribing, re-working, enlarging, reducing, scratchbuilding, learning new swearwords, losing scalel blades in thumb!

A new 1/48th Harrier'd put Milliput out of business overnight!!!

:thumbsup:

Absolutely - but as no one seems to want to pick the gaunlet up, I personally think a sheet covering early Harriers, Phantoms, Buccaneers and possibly Jaguars (1968 - 1972 ish) would have wider appeal. Shiny finished jets!

Always liked the Harrier OCU badge with the Grasshopper on it.

I might have to do a spreadhsheet thang of possible variations of colour schemes, markings and versions for the early RAF Harriers.

As for other shiny RAF stuff... mmmmm, shiny jets!

I might have to do a spreadhsheet thang of possible variations of colour schemes, markings and versions for the early RAF Harriers.

Dig out one of the old Harrier SIG newsletters and you'll find some bloke called Fleming already did one.

Must update it - managed to get a few more entries over the years (The 4 Sqn Winter ones) but some things remain elusive - 3 Squadron coloured tails on GR3s, and grey wing tips on GR1s for an Exercise in the 70s.

... but you did take one (at a Scottish IPMS) didn't you? Or am I going totally doolally!!!

:S

God, you're right I did - my thought was that that pic was too good for the little camera I was using then, but I'll check the Cds.

EDIT - Oh that's neat! I added my reply to Bill as a second 'Add reply' and it automatically added it to the one above!

Dig out one of the old Harrier SIG newsletters and you'll find some bloke called Fleming already did one.

Must update it - managed to get a few more entries over the years (The 4 Sqn Winter ones) but some things remain elusive - 3 Squadron coloured tails on GR3s, and grey wing tips on GR1s for an Exercise in the 70s.

If I had it/knew about it, I would!

Big yes here for a an update.

• 2 weeks later...

progress photo on the Hunter - nearly done

RV_HunterMk6_001_002.jpg

I am having no joy with finding the right marking for the Harrier in the stash so I shall build her with the markings in the box, and remove her from the GB.

The Modeldecals BPW White Letters and numbers have arrived from TwoBobs, so I shall be choosing a scheme from the MD099 sheet for my Eastern Express Wessex.

Edited by Andy Mullen

After masking and spraying Alclad Steel for the exhaust ring, I attached the all the undercarrige, drop tanks, seat and canopy. Added a dab of Tamiya Clear Blue and Clear Red to the wing tips and shes done.

RV_HunterMk6_001_004.jpg

RV_HunterMk6_001_005.jpg

RV_HunterMk6_001_006.jpg

RV_HunterMk6_001_007.jpg

RV_HunterMk6_001_008.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen
  • Like 1