Finescale Modeler

Mike

46 pages of "content" out of a page count of 74 this month. Not good, and it seems to be getting thinner in the paper department too. My decision was made a month ago when the renewal slip arrived, and this only backs it up :)

46 pages of "content" out of a page count of 74 this month. Not good, and it seems to be getting thinner in the paper department too. My decision was made a month ago when the renewal slip arrived, and this only backs it up :)

Ok so if I was going to subscription to one mag only (more A/C based) that will help my rather meager skill base what would it be?? :hmmm:

For modeling inspiration I'd vote for Model Aircraft Monthly. The builds are not too advanced, the emphasis is on building historical aircraft, not a pure WW II focus (lots of jets). Though probably not to everyones tastes MAM is the one mag I look forward to every month. In fact it is due in the next couple of days around here as SAMI showed up Saturday at my local Barnes and Noble, maybe a few have snuck in with the Harry Potter books

I can actually see some of my builds being equal to what I see in there, something I could almost never say looking at the Tamiya aircraft mag. That has builds that are impressive but sometimes a bit intimidating.

Matt

Ok so if I was going to subscription to one mag only (more A/C based) that will help my rather meager skill base what would it be?? :hmmm:

Britmodeller.com - oh, and we would even charge you if you like, just to make you feel better :lol:

Why not? all that repartee is labour intensive

Yeah, I think the Les Dawson joke book cost me at least 50p from the charidee shop ;)

Britmodeller.com - oh, and we would even charge you if you like, just to make you feel better :lol:

Funny you said that mike, you mentioned previously about upgrading the site software and it being on the pricey side. Would you consider help from fellow britmodellers in the form of a donation through say paypal??

I'm not saying break the bank, but a couple of quid or what ever anyone could afford to help the site out. Just a thought.

Funny you said that mike, you mentioned previously about upgrading the site software and it being on the pricey side. Would you consider help from fellow britmodellers in the form of a donation through say paypal??

I'm not saying break the bank, but a couple of quid or what ever anyone could afford to help the site out. Just a thought.

Thanks Steve, that's a very nice thought, but we'd really like to keep this as a free resource, and unadulterated by ads... You could just imagine the stink if a Mod came down on the side of a "donator", and the other party got all upset, screaming favouritism. The mind boggles! :S

If anyone wants to contribute in their own way, why not donate a kit as a prize for one of the Group Builds? That encourages visitors to the site, means us mods don't have to keep finding kits to dish out (I have 3 to post that I've not forgotten about - Honest!), and puts a bit back at the same time :)

Thanks Steve, that's a very nice thought, but we'd really like to keep this as a free resource, and unadulterated by ads... You could just imagine the stink if a Mod came down on the side of a "donator", and the other party got all upset, screaming favouritism. The mind boggles! :S

If anyone wants to contribute in their own way, why not donate a kit as a prize for one of the Group Builds? That encourages visitors to the site, means us mods don't have to keep finding kits to dish out (I have 3 to post that I've not forgotten about - Honest!), and puts a bit back at the same time :)

Sweet Boss, it is good to see a site without ads plastered every where :)

The WW1 Group Build is more than happy to accept kit donations!

l don't subscribe to any one magizine what l usually do is head to the nearest book store or hobby shop that carries the mags l want and l have a look. If it interests me then l buy it but if its one of those issues that oh hum then it stays on the shelve and l save some money. SAM had not let me down for interesting articles and once in a while Fine Scale surprises me with some thing of interest. l also get non model aircraft mags like Aeroplane monthly or some other mag that has some useful info l can apply to building what l have stashed away,.

hacker :)B)

I am more than willing to purchase Britmodeller.com, then ARC and Hyperscale, then I'm going to put houses and hotels on them and charge you all outrageous rent if your racing cars or old boots come anywhere near them :wicked:

Failing that Mike small donations for operating costs aren't a bad idea, some of us are more than happy to donate to our local churches, charities etc doesn't mean we expect preferential tratment or a say in how they're run just because we helped out.

I am more than willing to purchase Britmodeller.com, then ARC and Hyperscale, then I'm going to put houses and hotels on them and charge you all outrageous rent if your racing cars or old boots come anywhere near them :wicked:

Failing that Mike small donations for operating costs aren't a bad idea, some of us are more than happy to donate to our local churches, charities etc doesn't mean we expect preferential tratment or a say in how they're run just because we helped out.

Ummmm.... thanks for the offer, I think? It's good to know that people value this place, and we'll store that idea just in case the costs do shoot up at some future date. At the moment, we can handle it, and we're hosted with a good friend of mine who has said "use what you need" in terms of webspace. A good bloke, is John :)

Leigh... put the strait jacket on lad...... :police:

Can't help thinking that life would be easier if you started out by grafting the fuselage forward of the firewall of an Italeri 1/72 Mustang I onto a Revell AG 1/72 P-51B...

I haven't see the article yet, but really all it should take is mods the wings for the MGs. If you were to graft the Italeri nose onto a Revell kit you would have the wrong wing and the wrong under fuse radiator scoop.

Jim

I subscribe to Mil. Mod., MAI, (And the Journal of the British Flat Figure Society, I buy it for the naked Egyptians, don't tell a soul, OK ?). Now and then a friend in the States sends a couple of Finescale Modellers. I must admit they don't go into the amount of depth & detail of British mags, but it is a good 20 minute read.

Some of the reviews do tend to the "How fast I built it" tone.

Well, it took me about 20 minutes to read this month's issue... bit of a shame, and there seemed to be a lot of stuff that I wasn't interested in this month too :S

As much as I hate to admit it I think this will be the first pass on an issue of FSM since the initial issue in the 80's for me. Just nothing really there for me, the article about the Mustang I would have been useful if it was 48th! but then again I have articles from both SAM and MAM covering my eventual conversion of my AccMin kit when I finally find Mustang I decals somewhere. I 'read' it at the Barnes and Noble in about 5 minutes including scanning the not too complete new kit listing (where is Hobby Boss for gawds sake!) and reviewing the ads a second time to see if anything was of interest. A buck a minute is a bit rich for buying a magazine.

Now hopefully I'll find Model Aircraft Monthly on the way home with all the Korean War builds in it.

I began to cut back when the British mags began to close in on $10 apiece over here. I am down to SAMI and MAM with TMI, MAI, SAM and now FSM all being 'if something interests me status.

It is kind of sad that the whole of North America only has one widely distributed 'native' modeling magazine left.

Matt