Just joined and thought I would try and put something interesting on!

:suicide:

Right here goes, this is the first time i have tried to put something on a web page!!!

I hope it might be of some interest? If so i have an archive going back to Ireland from the 80's when I was in the Irish Air Corps and a lot of other Irish and general interest photos. I can't vouch for the copy right on several so I apologise in advance if I have stepped on anyones toes!

Enjoy!!! :lol:

Pontious

257S61N.jpg

242.jpg

HelicopterPilot.jpg

Landing at the Burj al Arab

109Burj1.jpg

Hi there Pontious...

I always wondered how the Irish came up with that swirly 'yin-yang' marking?...always seems odd to me...?

Hi there Pontious...

I always wondered how the Irish came up with that swirly 'yin-yang' marking?...always seems odd to me...?

You'll see it referred to as a 'Celtic Boss'. The original version of the marking really was like a yin and yang, though with a 'vertical' demarcation, as the white segment wasn't incorporated until the 1950s - first application was on the Chipmunk I think.

It has been suggested that when the marking was originally promulgated the intention was for it to be tri-colour, but approaching war made for its introduction in a more 'low viz' form.

Googling 'celtic boss' on its own will tend to return references to Scottish football...

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

:post1: Great entry, Pontious, and great pics too!!

Any more gratefully recieved :yahoo:

Happy St Pat's Day, BTW

Ian

welcome to the forum Pontious. great photos, i love the last one at the Burj al Arab :)

Thanks for the comments, so far most of the photos have been culled from sites such as Airliners.net, etc. I am planning to scan some of my personal ones, but in the interim here are a few more of my favourites. And, again if anyone takes umbridge to them for any reason I will pull them. I just like them and am interested in the history and the fact that I have flown several of them as well!!! :thumbsup: Enjoy.

gladiator_eire_1.jpg

Hurricaneline-upBaldonnel-1.jpg

EI-BLY.jpg

IHLEI-BLYS61-N.jpg

GrobG-115EI-CAD.jpg

A-IIIformation.jpg

GLD-051138.jpg

DH-115Vampire186.jpg

Lads,

Try the web site www.irishairpics.com for a photos of IAC aircraft through the years.

For a Small air arm they have had some interesting aircraft.

The S-61 was mostly based in Sligo Airport.

cheers

George

Hi Pontious,

great pictures !

As for the S.61, if I'm not wrong the IAC one was leased from a civilian company and has now been returned to the original owner.

I add this one of a coast guard one, not a great quality picture unfortunately as my camera is not great.

s61-1.jpg

And from the same airshow one of the alouette:

alouette-1.jpg

Now some people here will probably recognise them as being taken last year at the Salthill Airshow. If anyone was there he'll probably still feel wet now after all the rain that poured down that day...

Giorgio

Now some people here will probably recognise them as being taken last year at the Salthill Airshow. If anyone was there he'll probably still feel wet now after all the rain that poured down that day...

Giorgio

I didn't mind the rain,it was the Merlin door that landed twenty yards from me I was worried about :yikes:

I didn't mind the rain,it was the Merlin door that landed twenty yards from me I was worried about :yikes:

Oh well, I had hoped that that small accident was completely forgotten.. :whistle:

That was really unfortunate, as put a bad mark on what had been a really good day, even with the rain. Even more ironic was the fact that the lads of 28 Sqn. did a great job that day and the crowd loved them. And then that damned door..

This is a picture taken that day of ZJ137 "W", still with all the doors and panel attached..

P1010293.jpg

Giorgio

:post1: and I would say make yourself at home, but looks like you already did :D:whistle:. Very nyshe entrance Edited by Angels49

• 5 months later...