The colour of Darth Vader's Tie...

...Fighter

OK, who expected something about a neck tie then...

This is one for the sci-fi buffs, what is the 'correct' colour grey for Darth Vaders Tie Fighter. Haven't gone back to the film to have a look yet, so I thought it'd be easier to ask!

Any help appreciated as I'm thinking of starting the AMT kit...

Cheers,

Karl.

...Fighter

OK, who expected something about a neck tie then...

This is one for the sci-fi buffs, what is the 'correct' colour grey for Darth Vaders Tie Fighter. Haven't gone back to the film to have a look yet, so I thought it'd be easier to ask!

Any help appreciated as I'm thinking of starting the AMT kit...

Cheers,

Karl.

Karl I have seen overall Dark Ghost Grey with very dark grey, nearly black panels on the "wings"

HTH

Mike

If I remember correctly, the original filming miniatures were painted using Pactra stormy sea blue.

To try and match that shade, probably the best starting point would be USN Intermediate Blue, then start mixing some grey into it.

Not Paisley then?

What ever happened to painting solar panels good old matt black?

Don't know if this is accurate but mine was done with F-16 topside colours. The bluey-grey colour overall with the cockpit window framing in the dark grey and good old matt black for the solar panels.

Paul Harrison

Well it's sci-fi, so what's accurate? :unsure:

The originals were painted in a light blue grey but the glare of the lights and the film washed that out to a light grey. If you want to be totally faithful to the original, then a light blue grey. I fyou want to be true to the depiction in the film and the general appearance, then I'd go for a lightish grey. No heavy weathering though. TIE's were kept in immaculate condition by the Empire.

The normal TIE fighters, TIE interceptors and TIE bombers were pretty much just grey (with extremely dark grey for the wing fill panels). Vaders however, as shown in the photos, has a distinct bluish tinge to it.