Anyone else seen the Classic Airframes Baltimore review on HS?

Mentalguru

Got to say looks like a big "RUN AWAY" from me- we don't yet have a price for this kit on the Hannants website, but if it comes in around the 40+ quid mark for a complete crock by the standards of 2008 then it's a big turn off for me- of the same magnitude as nasal hair is to women.

Thin sprue gates do not a state of the art model make- but lets hope somebody on here can really hook one up and blow our minds in due course as its an interesting aeroplane and of course a Brit Bird!

Edited by Mentalguru

Interesting review on HS for 2 reasons: its not totally complimentary about a CA model, and its not totally complimentary about a CA model :)

Personally it doesn't look like too bad a kit to me ( and if you read the M2 review - that one is a bit more welcoming). If you've ever fought with the CA Meteor outer wing to nacelle joins, or the original Blenheim resin wheel well inserts, then anything is doable !

As Modeldad states on his HS review - its liable to be the only IM model of a Baltimore we get - so its a case of paying your as yet undefined lump of cash and living with it. Unless Fonderie Miniatures decide to kit one of course - but I know which kit I would buy in that case...

I could quite go for an RAF Baltimore, if space allows; An unsung hero of the MTO and Italian campaigns, and not a bad aeroplane either - just un-famous.

I would guess we're looking at a high 30s price tag if its in line with the Blenheim re-issues. And as the run seems to sold out from the makers, its a buy now of prepare to be e-flayed if you want one at a later date.

Cheers

JonKT

Interesting review on HS for 2 reasons: its not totally complimentary about a CA model, and its not totally complimentary about a CA model :)

Personally it doesn't look like too bad a kit to me ( and if you read the M2 review - that one is a bit more welcoming). If you've ever fought with the CA Meteor outer wing to nacelle joins, or the original Blenheim resin wheel well inserts, then anything is doable !

As Modeldad states on his HS review - its liable to be the only IM model of a Baltimore we get - so its a case of paying your as yet undefined lump of cash and living with it. Unless Fonderie Miniatures decide to kit one of course - but I know which kit I would buy in that case...

I could quite go for an RAF Baltimore, if space allows; An unsung hero of the MTO and Italian campaigns, and not a bad aeroplane either - just un-famous.

I would guess we're looking at a high 30s price tag if its in line with the Blenheim re-issues. And as the run seems to sold out from the makers, its a buy now of prepare to be e-flayed if you want one at a later date.

Cheers

JonKT

Yep- it's highly unusual for Mr M.D. to be anything other than totally complimentary about a C.A. product- maybe after reading certain other CA reviews on "other" websites, he realises that people will only put up with so much for so long at such cost- the Do217 is 42 quid at Hannants- so I expect this to be the same. Cockpit looks crude- as I said- someone with talent will get it sorted- will be impressive when finished.

But its funny- how HS grade all their stuff- highly recomended- reccomended reccomeended a bit, reccomended, just a little bit less than normal, reccomended for someone who will enjoy building a Baltimore.

Some reviews are a bit like saying little johhny goes into a school wit ha semi automatic weapon and blows away 20 of his classmates- his end of term report states very positively- "Through his pursuit of target shooting as a hobby- Johhny has developed exceptional hand eye co-ordination, and we are sure if properly pursued, he stands an excellent chance of getting a good job with the army."

I'm more surprised at the LACK of comment on HS about it. I would like one so I can do a RAAF machine but not for that sort of money! If you do the conversion plus the importer rip-off into Australia you are looking at around $150AUD+ I reckon, not paying that much for the kit thats for sure.

Classic Airframes kits have never been "shake the box" but they have to be applauded for going where others fear to tread. Also, if the recent trend is continued (Wyvern, Sea Hawk) then Trumpeter may well follow up with, dare I say it, something a little more user friendly/

Tony :clif:

Classic Airframes kits have never been "shake the box" but they have to be applauded for going where others fear to tread. Tony :clif:

Exactly Tony - its not like anyone is going into the build blind, and no-one is being forced to spend their money on them.

They are challenging kits, but the subject matter is often compelling and me and my most modelling skills can live with that. The Baltimore does absolutely nothing for me, so i won't be buying htis one, but I have about a dozen CA kits in the stash, and half a dozen on the shelves.

Pays your money, takes your choice.