I know it's been done a millin times-

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that the wing flex is pretty big but the flaps would suggest a landing config! Anyone e-mailed the photographer to ask for more info?

Eng

Looking at the other people in the shot, there's a big 747 coming down in front of them yet many seem to be looking the other way. :hmmm:

I agree with you Jon, I'm sure that those people would be hitting the deck big time with a Cessna 172 that low, let alone a 747! By the looks of it, the tail end of the fuselage would probably take out the fence at that sink rate (guesstimate), no shadow either...it's a very clever fake I reckon.

I don't think it's photoshopped :hmmm:

Wing flex, the flaps and slats are set for landing, the time when any wing is giving the most lift it can. Plus, the pilot has probably just pulled a little since the AoA is low.

There is a shadow, it's underneath the aircraft. There is also a difference in the reflections on the underside of the fuselage between the beach area and the road.

There is also turbulence in the water, two trails of disturbed water marking the jet efflux are clearly visible. The worst of the turbulence and shockwave effects would be much further behind the jet imo.

And as for the fence, a 747 couldn't flatten that if it tried, they are way too tall to hit that with the undercarriage extended!

I would imagine a lot of the spectators are in the middle of turning away and ducking, since that would be F-loud and quite scary :shocked:

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

I think it is certainly debatable - anyone who is going to go to the trouble of photoshopping that would certainly add shadows and turbulence etc. on the water, as this is not particularly difficult. There is low contrast from the light point of view throughout the picture. If this is a usual occurrence then presumably there are may like pictures - and presumably it is well known among the pilots?? Perhaps the regularity of this explains the lack of interest of the people nearby?? I must admit the pilot has cut if very fine!

If it's real, then surely he's landing VERY short! I temper this opinion with the fact that I am not a pilot!

If the runway is short then they would be looking to get the wheels right on the threshold. Normally you aim at the threshold with a view to touching down just beyond the keys. It looks short but as long as you are on the hard surface you don't mind.

peebeep

Just had a look at this airport on Google Earth. There are actually 2 airports on the Island with the one where the 747 is landing being the most southern. Both ends of the runway are extremely close to water! There are a number of pictures on google earth worth a look, just click on the camera symbols.

Tony :clif:

Yeah but this ones on the tarmac and not the grass :tease: and ofcourse its a 747, not as beautiful as a 707, but just as yummy :tease:

Bex

But neither are as yummy as the VC10.

Tony :clif: