Lightning book

Giorgio N

Was looking into the catalogue of a web based bookshop and for some misterious reason I typed "lightning" into the search box.. now I've seen two books that I might like: the airdoc book on the lightning in RAF germany service and Richard Ward book on the RAF lightning units. Now I realise that the Ward book covers all the units while the other doesn't, but I wonder what's everybody opinion on this book ? I've seen the airdoc and I found it good, but should the other be better I'd buy that !

I have the old on the Hunter units and love it, if I understand correctly the Lightning one has much more colour pictures. But still, I'd rather buy knowing what I'm getting... if only I had a good aviation bookshop here !

Thanks in advance !

Giorgio

Giorgio, I've got Richard Ward's book "Lightning Squadrons of the Royal Air Force" & I'd say it's pretty good. Soft back, 80 pages, full colour, quite authorative text, covers all front line squadrons plus second line/test units etc. Foreword is by ex Lightning pilot Tony Paxton. Can't say I recall how much it cost but I'd say, yes, if you're into Lightnings, buy it. HTH

Graham

Giorgio, I've got Richard Ward's book "Lightning Squadrons of the Royal Air Force" & I'd say it's pretty good. Soft back, 80 pages, full colour, quite authorative text, covers all front line squadrons plus second line/test units etc. Foreword is by ex Lightning pilot Tony Paxton. Can't say I recall how much it cost but I'd say, yes, if you're into Lightnings, buy it. HTH

Graham

Thanks for the info Graham,

I think it's around 16-18 £. 80 pages aren't many, but if they're all in colour then the cost sounds right to me... might add that the Easter treats.. :speak_cool:

Just a quick note, it is more of a photographic reference on the squadrons that operated the Lightning and the various colour schemes they used.

There is some text on the Lightning but not much, more of a modellers reference book really.

Well worth it though :yahoo: .

John

Thanks John,

I was expecting something like that, judging from the Hunter book. I already have Kev Darling "Lightning: the Operational History" on the history of the subject, and the old aeroguide for the details. I'm getting the impression that this book is what I'd need to cover all the aspects. Then I might buy the Airdoc too in the future.. :winkgrin:

Giorgio