1/48 trumpeter wellington bombs

Ian Lanc

hi lads,

like a fool i am :confused: when i made my wellington last year i threw my bomb's away thinking i'll never need that sort of bomb !!!, anybody got any in their spares box, i will pay for them :kissing2:

ian.

You silly bottom.If it'd have been a load of 1/72nd 500 pounders you wanted I could've accomodated you,but I'm afraid I can't help you with 1/48th scale.

Mark

Do you want the lot? I have the kit in the loft and as and when I build it, in all probability I will have the doors closed. Hence if your need is greater than mine it would be churlish of me not to help. Are you now opening up the Wimpey or is it for something else??

Do you want the lot? I have the kit in the loft and as and when I build it, in all probability I will have the doors closed. Hence if your need is greater than mine it would be churlish of me not to help. Are you now opening up the Wimpey or is it for something else??

hello,

i'm going to use them in the halifax if they are approprieate ! the ones with the halifax are made up of 7 parts for one bomb and all of these bits are terrible to put together, even the round ring which goes on the back of the bomb is oval :thumbsdown: !, i made two for the hampden and they are the same bomb :analintruder:

the bombs for the halifax are 250lb bombs and only i need *6 complete bombs*.

i wouldn't open up the wimpy just look at the doors how many !! :fraidnot:

you wouldn't have any pictures of a halifax showing a good close up of the bomb doors, showing the hinges would you at all ?

regards .... ian

This may help you - they were in two parts as you will see. Incidentally the inverted "drum stick" like object just in front of the bomb doors on the right of the picture is the trailing aerial. I may have some other pictures if you need them. By The way they are loading incendiaries.

BombDoors152.jpg

thanks 'midupperegunner' for the picture will help alot as how the doors over lap each other, i didn't know that ! you learn something every day :kissing2:

what do you think the dark cicle is near the front ? camera maybe.

i've got some bombs for the halifax by the way :clap2:

ian.

Yes - the dark circle is the camera aperture. Glad to hear you have the bombs. I don't know if you have seen any photos with a Halifax loaded up with a 4000lb cookie - it was too big for the bay and they flew with the doors partially open. It was claimed this did not increase the drag but I believe some crews tried putting tarpaulin over the front end. I have a picture of that as well I think.

Jolly good about the bombs - but you would have been welcome to those I have.

David.

hi david,

you seem to know a bit about halibags whats the tube which comes out of the exhaust then goes into the engine nacelle ? :winkgrin: don't you just hate it when you start a model and know nothing about it !!

would the camera be in the same place as the FM halifax i'm making ?

ian.

Edited by Ian Lanc

hi david,

you seem to know a bit about halibags whats the tube which comes out of the exhaust then goes into the engine nacelle ? :winkgrin: don't you just hate it when you start a model and know nothing about it !!

would the camera be in the same place as the FM halifax i'm making ?

ian.

I don't know - it does not appear on a number of Mks - it may have been some heating system - can you give some more detail - I don't remember which Mk/model you are building. I suspect the camera aperture was the same in all cases.

I have found your work in progress topic - and posted a piece there - I assume you are doing a MkIII - I think the pipes to which you refer were not fitted!! I have a picture of a 102 Sqn Halifax showing the pipes - again a MkVI at 29 MU - in 1946. There were some Mk VI's with 102 in 1945 for about three months!

If you are doing a 102 aircraft than you may like to jazz it up with the 4 Group rudder markings (designed to aid assembly during daylight operations - there were two horizontal red stripes with the aircraft letter in red with yellow outline. The example I have is "F" but I do not have the serial number.

Edited by miduppergunner