SAAF Spitfires.

Dave

Any Commonwealth Spitfire experts on here? :pilot:

I plan to build a couple of versions, one from 1945 and the other apporx 1950-54. Both birds are South Africa based.

I'm trying to find out the style of garb the pilots would have worn. Presumably the '45 pilot would have had a similar style to other RAF/Commonwealth pilots of that era.

The later I'm stumped. For comparison, I've tried to find pics of SAAF F-51D pilots during the Korean War (without luck so far), similar era etc (the Spits were phased out in 1954).

TIA.

There's a photo (in "The Spitfire in South African Air Force service",) of an "Air Cadet," just after a flight from AFS Zwartkop, in mid-1953, and he's wearing a (rather ill-fitting) set of overalls (possibly white, but I can't be sure) fairly similar to the pre-war British set. A "proper" bonedome, and oxygen mask complete the ensemble. It'll never scan; it's too small.

Edgar

Hi Edgar, no worries about the picture.

My thanks for the info, I was leaning towards the bonedome but wasn't sure. I 've since found a couple of images of Mustang pilots in Korea where (white?) bonedomes can clearly be seen.

Dave.

I have some pics of SAAF pilots in Korea in the "On Wings of Eagles" and "The SAAF at War" books. SAAF garb seems to be basically the same as USAF garb of the time. Bruce

Welcome Charlie!

Thanks for the link. That picture of the pilot in the cockpit of the Spit was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. In fact, the Spitfire is similar to one I plan to build, including the Springbok roundel.

Cheers

Dave.