Heinkel He100 build

Red Arrow Jag

The Lindberg 1:72 Heinkel 100, I love the look of this experimental aircraft and have decided to create a 'what-if' the RLM had picked it for the Luftwaffe.

Having researched it I have found that it used a condensation system to cool the oil and water which in practice was poor and the complex design made the Bf109 a better option.

The kit itself is very good, it has clean mouldings and the plastic good and detail is of adequate quality.

For this to be a viable build I would need to re-engine it and make some adjustments to the exterior of model.

CIMG4997.jpg

I have started this weekend with the removal and re-scribing of all panel lines. (note: for artistic purposes not ALL are done!)

The Undercarriage will need to be detailed as these are a little basic and the doors will need to be thinned. I have some spare parts from the Revel He70 such as a spatted tail wheel which will look good fitted. (it is a whiff!)

I am going to open up my build to you all on here for ideas (a bit of fun to pass the time).

*What do you think I could incorporate into this what-if fighter?

* Colour options?

:fuhrer:

Edited by Red Arrow Jag

A friend of mine built one awhile back, and used a resin Bf-109 cockpit from True Details. It fit pretty good, with a little trimming. Made a big difference in the finished appearance. He did it in the propaganda markings, and made a little diorama, with a photographer taking a propaganda photo. Looked really nice. I have one in my stash, that I might someday make as a photo-recce bird.

Larry

I built the Volks resin 1/48 scale He-100D a few years ago, all I needed to do was to add some aftermarket PE seat belts and shoulder harnesses. I read somewhere once that the He-100s were used for defense of the Heinkel plant, flown by Heinkel factory pilots. I wonder if any of them made it to the end of the war and how they were painted for their factory defense duty?

A friend of mine built one awhile back, and used a resin Bf-109 cockpit from True Details. It fit pretty good, with a little trimming. Made a big difference in the finished appearance. He did it in the propaganda markings, and made a little diorama, with a photographer taking a propaganda photo. Looked really nice. I have one in my stash, that I might someday make as a photo-recce bird.

Larry

A photo recce version, nice idea! What aircraft did the Luftwaffe use for photo recce, did they have special camo? I am thinking of the RAF PRU pink/ blue etc.

I love the Idea of the photography diorama, bet your mates model looked good!

A photo recce version, nice idea! What aircraft did the Luftwaffe use for photo recce, did they have special camo? I am thinking of the RAF PRU pink/ blue etc.

I love the Idea of the photography diorama, bet your mates model looked good!

The Luftwaffe had many different planes converted to the photo-recce role, including Bf-109s, FW-190s, Ju-88/188s, Me-262s and MANY more. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Luftwaffe used "special" PR paint schemes, like the RAF & USAF. You do have to be careful about the unit codes, to make sure they match an "Aufklärung" unit.

Larry

Extra threads cleared away now chap ;)

Come on... lets' see some more progress ^_^

Btw - is the Lindberg kit the only option in this scale, or is it just what you have in the stash?

In 1/72nd there are the Lindberg, Revell (EX Frog?), MPM and Special Hobby kits. The only styrene kit in 1/48th I know of is from HiPM Link http://www.condormodels.com/aircraft.htm There is also the previously mentioned Volks resin and I think there is another one but I can't remember who did it.

Special Hobby are supposed to be releasing one in 1/32nd scale this year.

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

Extra threads cleared away now chap ;)

thanks!

Come on... lets' see some more progress ^_^

ok ok..I'm still planning it and building others at the same time... :lol:

Btw - is the Lindberg kit the only option in this scale, or is it just what you have in the stash?

I found it cheap on ebay and liked the look of it, I had heard of it before but never really thought about buying it as I am not into Luftwaffe subjects.

My first impressions of the kit were very good, it is a little basic but then it gives me more scope to mess around adding details.

A friend took a look at it and made the comment that it should be a 'Grunherz' fighter squadron machine...I am wondering if there are any good websites with detailed pics?I guess I would have to look for decals also for that one.

Edited by Red Arrow Jag

I have the afternoon off (punches the air with glee, then looks around to see if anyone saw...)

A bit of time to myself so I have started on the wings on the He100

CIMG5026.jpg

The wheel wells are from an old Academy Typhoon that has long since been demolished for spares and the horrid radiator cover had to go, hence the big hole in at the rear of the wing section. I cut out and thinned the wheel well detail and glued them on the inside of the wing, then attaching the tops of the wing I only applied glue to the front edges and let dry. Gluing the rest of the wing will make the final piece fatter than the original kit, Maybe I can then put the radiator in the leading edge of the wing a la Hawker Fury?

CIMG5019.jpg

CIMG5017.jpg

A quick test fit of the model; the cockpit has been improved by thinning the interior of that Typhoon and glueing to the side walls. (a very slight representation, I'm not going for accuracy) I wonder if I can convert it to have a nose wheel like the Airacobra? I am thinking it looks kind of similar? :popcorn:

nosewheel.jpg

Prompted by my Airacobra style nose-wheel idea I desided to see how the bird would look...quite a smart proposal I think? (forgot to add the prop on this one)

taildrag.jpg

Just to see what the Heinkel would look like in its conventional tail-dragger configuration (with spatted wheel)