1/72 Hunter FGA.78

Hello all,

I've been a member of this forum for only a few months now but, having the seen the outstanding work done here, have been inspired to build something myself since it's been a long, long time since I last built a model kit - I reckon about 22 years (God that makes me feel old :undecided: !).

Anyway, this is the progress I've made so far using the 1/72nd Revell FGA.9 and the excellent tips and advice I've gleaned from you guys. I've still got the undercarriage and drop tanks to do and the flaps and hood to attach properly.

The intention to mount it on a stand with gear and flaps down as if about to land - hence the hole in the bottom which has an aluminium tube set into it to take the clear acrylic supporting rod that will form the stand.

It's by no means perfect I know, but I'm quietly pleased with the results so far, especially after all this time!

Oh, and thank you all for the inspiration. :grouphug:

QA12-cockpit.jpeg

QA12-top.jpeg

QA12-nose.jpeg

QA12-bottom.jpeg

Thank you all for your kind words.

As Gary mentioned the colour scheme I thought I'd add a few details. I also think the Qatari scheme is a lovely one and suits the Hunter especially well in my opinion.

The colours I used were all Tamiya acrylics and, apart from the Dark Earth, were mixed to match surviving paint on the real QA12's original panels. The Tamiya "Flat Earth" was a perfect match for the brown straight from the bottle.

The stencils came from the Revell decal sheet, the serial number came from the Xtradecal Foreigh Hunters sheet. The fin flash and roundels however were home made as the Xtradecal Qatari ones are terrible - wrong colours, no detail in the fin flash etc..

periklis_sale - yes I agree the camo is a bit too soft and I am aware of the Blu-Tak method. I'm ashamed to say that I was too lazy to try it out though and decided to try it freehand. My airbrush technique wasn't quite up to the job though I'm afraid, although it does look worse blown up in the photos (my story, sticking to it!). Never mind, maybe next time.

Paul - putting both on the same stand is not something I'd thought about...but I rather like that idea! For those that don't know FGA.78 QA12 is the same aircraft as the ex-Dutch F.6 N-222 that Paul mentioned, N-222 being converted by Hawker and sold on to Qatar as QA12. Hmmm....you've got me thinking now Mr. Bradley!!! :hmmm:

Edited by StephenMG

Nice result, overspray or not, especially after a 22 year hiatus.

Looks as though the Qatar Hunters were painted with ICI rather than British Standard colours. When I painted my 1/72 Airfix Hunter in the Kuwait scheme I used Xtracolor X002, Dark Earth, and X305, Southwest Desert Gold, over X146, FS35183.

Joseph

Thanks again for the comments folks.

Dr Lurrrrve - the clear acrylic rod and aluminium tube came from a local model shop. It's nothing special, just from the racks of short aluminium/brass/plastic rod and tube that most seem to stock. The good thing is that the acrylic rod fits perfectly inside the aluminium tube with no free play at all. That means that the model will be a perfectly stable fit on the stand.

JosephLalor - you're absolutely correct. The desert colours on many of the export Hunters, e.g. Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi etc., were ICI-specific numbers and not BS381C colours. Having said that the brown seems indistinguisable from BS381C:350 Dark Earth and the other colours have BS colours that are close, but they were never officially specified as such.

The official colours are Brown: ICI F407-1815, Sand: ICI F407-1814 and Deep Sky Blue: ICI F407-1813.

If it's any use to anyone good 'off the shelf' matches (in enamel at least) to these are Humbrol 29, Revell 16 and Humbrol 109 respectively.