Nimrod MR1

Great build. I spent 3years on 203 in Malta and my only gripe is that Airfix have got the colour of Percy the seahorse the wrong colour. It was always green and not blue as depicted on their decal . XV249 was our aircraft for the Royal review at Finningly which is why it had the circle around the badge. The other minor point is the weapons load in the bomb bay. We always flew with one set of the yellow lindhome gear in the centre of the bomb bay. In the rear of the bay we either had sonabouys or flares.The only time we ever fitted torpedos was during exercises I must get around to making my very own 203 nimrod but shall probably wait until somebody does the decals for XV250 with the sharks teeth

Thanks for the info - I shall be building mine in 203 colours, as my dad got to fly in one on a familiarisation flight back in the early 70's. He was on the Oberon, I think, and they took a bunch of submariners up to give them the "other" perspective on things!

As an aside, do you happen to have a photo of that Lindholme gear?

And great model there, Sandy!!

Thanks for all the comments, have finally managed to get some better photos. For anyone who is building this kit my two best bits of advice are

1 Join the top of the wings to the fuselage then add the bottom wing so as toeliminate any gap

2 Don`t worry about detailing the cockpit - you can`t see anything in it !!

Well back to building the R1 now !!

Cheers Sandy

007.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

nice Nimrod! ?ive buy yesterday the Airfix big kit; what you tell me about the fit of the main parts (wings and fuselage?)

ciao

Ale

Great build. I spent 3years on 203 in Malta and my only gripe is that Airfix have got the colour of Percy the seahorse the wrong colour. It was always green and not blue as depicted on their decal . XV249 was our aircraft for the Royal review at Finningly which is why it had the circle around the badge. The other minor point is the weapons load in the bomb bay. We always flew with one set of the yellow lindhome gear in the centre of the bomb bay. In the rear of the bay we either had sonabouys or flares.The only time we ever fitted torpedos was during exercises I must get around to making my very own 203 nimrod but shall probably wait until somebody does the decals for XV250 with the sharks teeth

It on the next Model Alliance decal Nimrod decal sheet with accurate photo reference supplied by Jon Kyt

Hi all , just to answer some questions that have been asked. The pitots were made from scrap PE and stretched sprue - easy to make and reasonably effetive. As for the fuselage wing fit - its ok but not great. On this kit I did it as the instructions said and there was a gap and step that needed a bit of `fiddly` filling and sanding. Have just joined the wings onto the fuselage of my R1 and have attached the top of the wings on to the fuselage first - it gets rid of any step and gap, then I will attach the bottom wing onto the whole assembly - seems to be a far better way of doing things.

Sandy

Hi all , just to answer some questions that have been asked. The pitots were made from scrap PE and stretched sprue - easy to make and reasonably effetive. As for the fuselage wing fit - its ok but not great. On this kit I did it as the instructions said and there was a gap and step that needed a bit of `fiddly` filling and sanding. Have just joined the wings onto the fuselage of my R1 and have attached the top of the wings on to the fuselage first - it gets rid of any step and gap, then I will attach the bottom wing onto the whole assembly - seems to be a far better way of doing things.

Sandy

Noted ;)

This kind of stuff is pure gold in avoiding extra work :thumbsup:

Sandy

Hi Sandy thanks for the heads up re the pitots. looking forward to seeing the R1.

Tony