FAA corsairs

PaulR

Hi all,

I'd like to do a FAA corsair in the temperate EDSG/DSG/Sky scheme, but I don't want a birdcage canopy corsair. Which Tamiya kit should I use, F4U-1A or 1D, because I don't quite understand the difference, nor which one the FAA flew.

I' m thinking 1/72nd here by the by. Also, how much would I have to trim off the wingtips in 72nd scale?

Many thanks for any guidance!

PaulR

The FAA used F4U-1's,F4U-1A's, F4U-1D's, F3A-1's, FG-1A's & FG-1D's. The clipped versions (FAA had both by the way!) was 1'4'' shorter.

If you need any other help feel free to pm me. I have access to the FAA museum's Corsair which will help!

Dave

Go here Paul;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F4U_Corsair

Basically FG's were Goodyear built and termed Corsair MkIV's. F3A's were Brewster built and termed MkIII's.These equated pretty much to Vought built F4U-1D's.

The FAAM Corsair is fantastic.They've done an amazing job on her and well worth a look-see.

For the "short winged" variant you need to take about an eigth of an inch off each wing tip.Just file it off and then reprofile the tips.

Check you references carefully though,for as Merlin says,the FAA operated both clipped and unclipped wing variants.

Mark

It's complicated because the FAA used the manufacturer to change the desgination, not the mod state of the aircraft - so whilst Corsair Is were all birdcage aircraft. Corsair IIs could be F4U-1As or F4U-1D.

Is were Vought built Corsair F4U-1

IIs were Vought built

IIIs were Brewster built F3As

IVs were Goodyear built FG1As AND FG-1Ds - and there were variations within each.

All but the earliest deliveries had the clipped wings

I have the serial numbers somewhere (salvaged from the old FAA US SIG site)

As for colour schemes....

Vought aircraft were delivered in Olive Drab/Neutral Grey over a grey the Americans called Sky Type S Gray (close to Light Sea Grey)

Brewster aircraft appear to have had at least some delivered in US Navy 3-tone blue, although some appeared in FAA style camouflage - which could have been painted in the UK, or could have been delivered in US Equuivalents

Goodyear aircraft were Gloss Sea Blue,

Edited by Dave Fleming

For what it's worth, as far as I know, the "birdcage" Corsairs remained on the US mainland, were used for training and had full span wings. They were not used on British carriers. So, forget birdcage.

Mind you, as a caveat, I may be wrong as others know much more.

Regards,

Dave.

For what it's worth, as far as I know, the "birdcage" Corsairs remained on the US mainland, were used for training and had full span wings. They were not used on British carriers. So, forget birdcage.

Regards,

Dave.

...and the Brewster built Corsair IIIs were considered so poorly built that they were retained in second line/training roles.

Don't think they ever went on carriers, but at least one came to the UK

Dave: Just to clarify your posting: it was Goodyear aircraft that were Sea Blue Gloss. (I think that was what you meant from the layout of your answer.) I don't know for sure whether any of the later Vought aircraft were as well.

Don't know what you mean... :whistle:

Thanks for that!

Regards,

Dave.

Some ended up stationed in Northern Island.