Bell Model 212

Old VG 33

Hello

I was given a 1/72 UH-1N Italeri kit and there is the opportunity to build a Bell 212 from the Royal Army.

I do not know much about the unit (it is written 7th flight training team Brunei circa 1997).

I have found some pictures in overall gloss green (airliner.net) , or in grey and green with sometimes day glow panels (google).

So if anybody knows more I am ready to listen carefully...

Patrick

The Brunei based 212s were the first of the type in British Army (Not Royal, a common mistake that Italeri have made more than once). They were used to support the Army Jungle Training School. They are civillian owned, but military operated. They are actually civillian 212s, so are slightly different from the UH-1N, but IIRC the Italeri kit has the relevant optional parts, albeit that the instructions are wrong (but working from memory!)

Later, 212s were also chosen to replace the Lynx in Belize. These were the first to carry the day-glo panels, although these have also been seen on a Brunei example as well I think.

The overall green one (Kermit!) was used for training in the UK (But has now gone to Belize to replace one that crashed)

I've got a few photos scanned from magazines - drop me a PM with your email address and I can send them your way.

I have this kit as well - anyone know what the proper term for the green is? Is there a BS-equivalent?

It's British Army helo olive BS220 ,available from Xtracolour ,a very close match is Humbrol 106 Marine Green,the grey is medium sea grey.

• 3 months later...
Hello

Now I am working on this Hello and I wonder which colour is inside because Italeri says FS 15237 (blue grey).

Patrick

If they were Bell machines built to military specs (and I think they are), then the interior is dark gull grey FS 36231.

Giorgio

They are not, they are ex-civil 212s.

In that case might depend on the previous owner. However most civil 212s I've seen had the same 36231 for the cabin.

Edit: I found a picture of the cabin of one of these Brunei based machines, and it seems 36231 to me.

Giorgio

In that case might depend on the previous owner. However most civil 212s I've seen had the same 36231 for the cabin.

Edit: I found a picture of the cabin of one of these Brunei based machines, and it seems 36231 to me.

Giorgio

I'd agree

• 2 weeks later...