RAF Serial Fonts Wanted

'V'

I've just been preparing decals for my current Valiant build and can't find a suitable font (I need 24" & 48" codes in pale blue).

The nearest is :- Square 721 BT The biggest problem with these is being slighty too wide (form not quite right, but would do if necessary)

I have RAF fonts :- RAF_PW_ATH and RCAF_60SQO_ATH neither of which is near to my requirements

Anyone any ideas?

• Thanks 1

I've got around my problem by deciding on XD815 as my 90 Sqn Valiant. I've scanned in the Mach2 decal serial (Black XD818) and re-coloured pale blue and then re-built pixel by pixel. This will then be copied into Word where I can re-scale to produce underwing, fuselage side, and nose gear door decals to my size requirements. Slow and loads of eye strain, but I've done it !!

Geoff.

• 12 years later...
On 3/2/2008 at 11:09 AM, 'V' said:

I've just been preparing decals for my current Valiant build and can't find a suitable font (I need 24" & 48" codes in pale blue).

The nearest is :- Square 721 BT The biggest problem with these is being slighty too wide (form not quite right, but would do if necessary)

I have RAF fonts :- RAF_PW_ATH and RCAF_60SQO_ATH neither of which is near to my requirements

Anyone any ideas?

I know I am resurrecting a 'zombie' thread here but just want to thank you for your post way back then.  It pointed me to a font I can use for my current build (a 1950s RAF C-47) and future Valiant builds.  I solved the excess width issue by printing to a jpg, then using phot software to compress the serial horizontally to look nearer the one I need.  It's not perfect but it's close.  Here's a sample.

David

spacer.png

This is the problem with fonts: even when they correctly represent the "official" style, they may not correspond to what is actually painted on a real aircraft.

Reworking a bitmap is one option, another is to use the font in a vector drawing software, convert the whole code to curves and then move the nodes around until the shape is right. I can be a long and boring process, but in the end the result will be more correct