RAF Liberator 1:72 "Daring Diana"

palacefan

I thought i would post this before i start it to make sure i get it done.

It will be based on the Minicraft J variant "Dragon and his tale" kit.

I will need to make some flame surpressors, and some decals (which i havn't ever done before) for the nose art.

I found a story on The burma star bottom. web site of the demise of two liberators, Daring Diana and Pegasus. It was writen by the son of a widow of one of the crew members on Daring Diana, A very helpful chap called Matt Poole.

I just hope that i can do it justice.

Edited by palacefan

So here is the box and bits shots. Resin guns and wheels and home made decals, everything else oob.

PICT0063-1.jpg

PICT0064-1.jpg

That should look impressive, I've never looked for aircraft stuff on the Burma Star site, my father in law spent most of the war in Burma with a stint on Madagascar, so I spent a bit of time doing research for him, he was made up.

Cheers

Den

I am really looking forward to seeing this one made up! Great nose art (cheeky as Dylan says!!!) and i love the Liberator. Will be interesting to see how it builds as i am trying to track down the Academy J/M model for a future RAF 100 Group build.

Happy modelling.

The Doc

Have you got everything superglued to the bench? :)

not everything, just a hurricane, vengance and jaguar. as soon as the hurricane is out the way i will start......maybe after the jag.

Will be interesting to see how it builds as i am trying to track down the Academy J/M model for a future RAF 100 Group build.

I think that this is the old Academy tooling, could be wrong, usually am.

Hi Wayne and the gang,

I'm the bloke Wayne tracked down after deciding to build "Daring Diana", which was a Mk VI (B-24J) of 159 Squadron. Serial number BZ962. My mom's first husband, Sgt. George Plank of Liverpool (Mom was also a Liverpudlian), was a wireless op/air gunner flying as a beam gunner on the night of 29 Feb 1944 when "Daring Diana" and "Pegasus", a Mk III from the squadron, were caught in Rangoon searchlights and pounced upon by a pair of trailing Ki-43 Oscars of the 204th Sentai. The two pilots, 9-kill ace Hiroshi Takiguchi and 19-kill ace Bunichi Yamaguchi (tally totals are unverified) had an easy time of it and destroyed both bombers in succession, starting with "Daring Diana".

George and his 8 crewmates were never seen again, though 6 of 9 from "Pegasus" were captured. Sadly, 2 of them died in Rangoon Jail. One of those liberated at the beginning of May '45 is still alive at 91 years of age. Talk about a survivor!

As a non-model builder (well, I was a nut about it until about 18) I have been following the Group Build from over here in Maryland, USA with great admiration. Wayne, too bad the Vengeance has been a troublesome build. I hope "Daring Diana" is far less of a thorn in your side, though she poses her own unique challenges.

For those who want a taste of the human side of the "Daring Diana" story, there is a recent 4 minute video narrated by my mother and found at:

http://umbc.edu/oit/newmedia/studio/digita...ssing_poole.flv

There are some annoying graphic mistakes made by the university graduate student who did this for a school project. Note, for example, the maddening choice of Heinkel 111 bombers to illustrate a Lib attack on the Japanese!! (I'd provided that photo for use in another story of the bombing of Liverpool!). And the Japanese award given to the pilots was erroneously rotated 90 degrees. Nevertheless, the message is clear and should make a favorable impression on SEAC Group Build aficionados.

Good luck, Wayne...no pressure from me on this baby, and I mean it. I'm quite tickled by the project, even though I know you've got your plate full with the Vengeance and then other work. Cheers to all, and keep impressing me with your talent.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have started it, well the decal anyway.

I started with the outline of the artwork and a black and white photo, both supplied by Matt.

I started colouring it in really carefully on paint but after a size test, realised that you couldnt see any detail really.

So i went more blocky and stylised with the colour so that you could see shodows at least.

The text was too small for the smallest on 'paint' so i had to free hand it, she doesnt look very pretty but when reduced.............

DaringDianaoutlinetest.jpg

the one on the left is the size test and the one on the right is the nearly finished one

decalsheet1-1.png

Edited by palacefan

Wayne,

Diana is looking good! I should tell everyone that Wayne is keeping true to the original shapes of Ms. Diana's body. The right arm, for example, is a bit amateurish, but that's what the amateur painter arrived at, on the real Daring Diana. So I commend Wayne for trying to match the original design as best he can. I'm impressed.

The colors are anyone's guess, since the only photo that exist of this nose art is an out of focus black & white one. I like Wayne's choice of colors.

Keep at it, Wayne. Good stuff!

Cheers, Matt

Edited by Matt Poole

• 1 month later...

Cheers Matt and Paul.

Here goes then, chocs away!!

First impression is that there is alot of ejection pin marks, lots and lots and lots and lots of ejection pin marks.

001.jpg

and a few ejection pin marks.

002.jpg

Also, as you can see from this picture of G for Goofy from the same sqn as Daring Diana (if you look closely),

there are flame surpressors on each exhaust.

GoofyforBM.jpg

Has anybody got any close up pics of them by any chance, that they could post please?

Edited by palacefan

Wayne,

Do you have access to Streetly's Aircraft of 100 Group?

There are a couple of photos and schematics of these dampers that were fitted to the B-17s & B-24s of the Group.

They are essentially identical for both aircraft types.

If you don't have access to the book, drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you scans.

Cheers

Dave

Wayne,

Do you have access to Streetly's Aircraft of 100 Group?

There are a couple of photos and schematics of these dampers that were fitted to the B-17s & B-24s of the Group.

They are essentially identical for both aircraft types.

If you don't have access to the book, drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you scans.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, i'll have a look on amazon and see if i can get a copy.

Cheers.

Well, if I could figure out this photo posting thingy :hypnotised: I'd post the images here to save you having to poke around Amazon..

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98

Hi, guys.

I found a couple of photos of a Mk III 159 Squadron Liberator, BZ897 Z in late 1943/early 1944, showing the flame damper on No. 2 engine fairly well. These are the best images I have of the damper. It's hard to tell, but I don't see the slots that Dave's images show. I'm lame at posting photos, so I'll have to tease you with this until Wayne can post the photos, which I'm sending to him by e-mail. Hope they help.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

There are a couple of other images in the Streetly book where the dampers can be seen but they are distant and pretty dark. Probably the best is one showing the damper on the starboard outer of a Liberator. Unfortunately it is little more than a silhouette so no details are visible but there is one visible difference between the photo and the drawings in that the Liberator close-up has what appears to be a raised lip around the centre of the body which the drawings don't show.

IMO, I think that Streetly probably used a 'best guess from what was available' approach to make the drawings.

Cheers

Dave

Matt and Dave, thankyou very much you are gents.

I think that i can make some good representations of them now, thanks to you both.

Here are the pics that Matt emailed to me.

dampers2.jpg

dampers1.jpg

I may even use my resin casting kit for the first time.

Edited by palacefan