Typhoon Changes

kstater94

We touched upon this in the modeling thread

But I was wondering if someone might confirm this so I understand correctly

When a Typhoon F.2 goes in and gets the upgrades done (in which they install PIRATE amongst other items) I assume it ceases being known as an F.2 and starts going by the FGR.4 designation... yes?

The same being true for a T.1/T.1A? It comes out as a T.3 or T.3A?

Also

Does anyone if the plan is to bring all F.2s up to FGR.4 standard? or will the RAF operate X number of squadrons of F.2s and Y number of squadrons of FGR.4s?

MTIA

John

Hi there,

Although I am no authority on this, it seems to be that all f2s and t1s will be upgraded. Several early F2s like ZJ915 haven't been seen for a while, which would tend to support the idea that they are in a 'back to works' programme, while early F2 ZJ913 (formerly AA of 17 sqn) has recently been photographed as coded AC and with the PIRATE sensor, which it certainly didn't have previously.

I am given to understand that the RAF does not want the 1990's Tornado mini-fleet situation of differing equipment fits.

On an associated theme, does anyone have any knowledge with regard to the tranche 3 order? Are they going ahead with it on the asssumption that many of the 232 total order will be diverted to the Saudi order, thereby maintaining contractual obligations and reducing the RAF spend at the same time? Does the RAF need this many, or would 144 be enough?

One last thing. Will 25 sqn reform on the Typhoon at some point?I've heard conflicting reports on this!

I'd be very interested in any comments to the above.

Regards, Paul

Thanks for clearing some of that up Paul

I had read somewhere that some viewed the Saudi order as the government's way of getting out of the tranche 3 order... I'm not saying that this means that 144 are enough to do the job. I'm just saying that it had been speculated that it's the perfect "out" by those that have access to the government's funds... (and we all know how smart THEY are!)

Cheers!

John

So will all Typhoon squadrons be multi role? Taken from the RAF website..

"XI Squadron reformed at RAF Coningsby on 29 Mar 07 as the second frontline Typhoon squadron to form. As multi-role lead squadron, it will spearhead the development of Typhoon’s air-to-surface capability, which will be ready for deployed operations by mid-08."

I assume the Typhoons on 11Sqn will be FGR4's then? Whereas 3(F)Sqn will have F2's?

• 2 weeks later...

As ever with the Typhoon gun, the answer is not a simple one...

Squadrons that are multi-role will be able to use the weapon. Last I heard (October 07) was that the idea is that the gun will be employed for training purposes when the squadrons are working up for deployment. Since the gun's use can be simulated quite effectively without the need to fire it and sustain the usual array of fatigue issues/damage/etc, the chances of it being used extensively on the ranges outside pre-deployment work-up are slim - probably only to provide suitable noise to accompany firepower demos as war-torn Imber village is ravaged by conflict for the benefit of the assembled audience and the RAF proffers air support to the gallant demonstration unit dislodging the ruthless, un-named enemy occupying that gallant little village. If live-fire is needed in FAC training, etc, then there's no reason to suppose that it won't be fired on those occasions also.

3 Sqn, as an AD only unit have not made the gun operational. However, it has been noted that firing warning shots with ASRAAM is probably not a good idea, so having the cannon may be useful for the QRA aircraft. Also, 3 Sqn appear to be on the verge of working up as a multi-role sqn now (I forget where in the public domain that info is, but it is out there), in which case they too will have the gun available as an option.

So the position as last i heard (NB, I am a few months out of date) was/is that XI(F) aircraft, be they F2 or FGR4 have the gun as an option, while 3(F) currently don't, but, as this is role specific, they will do once tasked as a multi-role unit.

I have heard rumors of Typhoon working on weapons ranges but no one has reported seeing the gun firing.

Last week the 2x Typhoons, I heard on a local range were working with dry passes only?.

Shaun.

I have heard rumors of Typhoon working on weapons ranges but no one has reported seeing the gun firing.

Last week the 2x Typhoons, I heard on a local range were working with dry passes only?.

I was listening in on those run Shaun - on a hand held. I did catch both Jockeys going "Dag a dag a dag a dag........" Who needs a cannon :evil_laugh: