RAF gunport fabric sealing patches - colours

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Hi gang.

So we all know that the gun ports on Spits & Hurricanes etc were sealed with those nice little square or oblong patches of fabric that were stuck on with that rather dull red dope.

However - are there cases of other colours ( ie something other than red dope) being used? - the reason I ask, is that I'm just putting the finishing touches to an early Malta Hurricane Mk 1, and I'm thinking that given the shortages of just about everything on the Island in 1940/41, the groundcrew may not have been too picky in what they used. If, for that matter, they even bothered.

So can anyone help here - even with a plausible idea?

If its of use, I'm building P3731 "J" of 261 Sqn - flown by Sgt Fred Robertson, 11.5 kill Hurricane Ace of aces over Malta. Its being done in a nicely knackered paint job, so something a bit unusual to put over the gun ports to just add a little "out of the ordinary" would be the icing on the cake!!

Cheers

JonKT on a windy Friday evening...

Hi gang.

So we all know that the gun ports on Spits & Hurricanes etc were sealed with those nice little square or oblong patches of fabric that were stuck on with that rather dull red dope.

However - are there cases of other colours ( ie something other than red dope) being used? - the reason I ask, is that I'm just putting the finishing touches to an early Malta Hurricane Mk 1, and I'm thinking that given the shortages of just about everything on the Island in 1940/41, the groundcrew may not have been too picky in what they used. If, for that matter, they even bothered.

So can anyone help here - even with a plausible idea?

If its of use, I'm building P3731 "J" of 261 Sqn - flown by Sgt Fred Robertson, 11.5 kill Hurricane Ace of aces over Malta. Its being done in a nicely knackered paint job, so something a bit unusual to put over the gun ports to just add a little "out of the ordinary" would be the icing on the cake!!

Cheers

JonKT on a windy Friday evening...

Hi Jon , Did hear from an RAAF armourer that whilst in Desert sometimes used newspaper to cover gun tubes

Terry

The patches were self-adhesive (rather like sticking plasters,) and were pre-coloured. As well as sealing, they were an indication that the guns were loaded and cocked. There is the famous photo, of WR-D & WR-C, in the desert, and the patches are blue. After application, the patches were (usually) sealed with clear dope; if you can find the photo of VB ZD-F, the darker areas, caused by the dope, can be seen round at least two of the patches.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Using Newspaper would have been a makeshift practice..certainly not widespread. Of course on Malta it would have been none other that the 'Times of Malta'

Other interesting ideas you could incorporate into your Hurricane Jon are:

Newspaper used to stuff exhaust manifolds overnight (today paper cups or special custom made fod covers are used)

Chalk writing on the airframe, indicating guns armed or refuel/ oil needed, or particular faults that need attending to (maybe indications of bullet holes that need to be patched), call signs, anti German/ Italian statements by ground crew and pilots.

I am wondering if sand stone would have been used for this? as it is plentiful in Malta.

just some ideas.