Airfix Bucc, Not quite my first post

Dads203

31 minutes ago, Rich F said:

Nooooo! 😲

I'm gutted, I have some decals heading my way and few other bits for this build probably arriving tomorrow :huh:

Trying to get things cleaned up and assess the damage, the drop has split most of the main joins which is not brilliant.

I've used black Mr Cement to tack it back into place here

P1110269

P1110270

P1110271

Any ideas on what i can use to fill the wing fold join bearing in mind I'll need to scribe wing fold join? I want something that's not going cause issues with the scriber skipping or the filling shattering,

Something that will give me a area pretty much like plastic? It's taken a lot of damage so I'm a bit worried.

I was going to use some epoxy putty  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

Oh No!!! %^*&*(()_+^$£"&*%$"£

I'm amazed you didn't just bin it :shrug:

Kev

Believe me Kev, at one point it was going in the bin that's for sure. But it's best to walkaway and take stock 

of the situation for a few mins and reassess.

I had ordered some goodies for the build so they would of been a write off for one thing and I'm not going to wait for the RAF version of the new Airfix kit.

These turned up today.  The Gulf War sheet I had bought a few years ago as they give you the full stencils, I have no intention in doing a Granby Bucc so 

its got to be the green grey wrap around colours. 

P1110278

P1110279

And this turned up with the decal set. Pave Spike pod - the kit part is rather pants 

P1110280

P1110281

P1110282

P1110284

Sorting the split seams, the problem I think is the awful Squadron Green putty  that i used 18 odd years ago, its just crumbled 

P1110274

P1110273

This is the best wing fold join, only a small chip taken out which has been glued back in, just needs a quick sand to blend it in. The other wing is a right mess though. 

P1110277

Hopefully I can rescue this and get it finished. 

• Like 6

I've been lurking for a long time on this forum , learning and trying (unsuccesfully) to emulate talented builders such as yourself. 

Please dont give up on this build , i'm sure you can rescue  it and i'm looking forward to reading your progress in future . 

I also need the merest excuse to buy an airfix bucc in the vain hope it will end up looking as good as something you can turn out.

No pressure :)

• Thanks 1

On 11/02/2022 at 19:59, mullac2001 said:

I've been lurking for a long time on this forum , learning and trying (unsuccesfully) to emulate talented builders such as yourself. 

Please dont give up on this build , i'm sure you can rescue  it and i'm looking forward to reading your progress in future . 

I also need the merest excuse to buy an airfix bucc in the vain hope it will end up looking as good as something you can turn out.

No pressure :)

I'm trying ;)

As the main intakes broke off the fuselage I have decided to to try and make them a little better, the kit parts are pants 

and the central hub is far to small to even resemble the real deal.  

Used the Dremel to turn up some new hubs from plastic rod, rough and ready  so they will look fine once buried inside. Intake trunks will get some fresh white paint before installing. 

P1110285

P1110286

More seam fixing 

P1110288

P1110289

Broke the tab off one of the tail planes during the fall, fixed with some brass rod pinning.

P1110290

P1110291

AIM9L sourced from the Hasegawa weapons set and assembled.

P1110287

• Like 3

Good to see you might be pulling off a save here, I'm looking forward to a result. 

You've reminded me that I have one of those old kits with the PRU Blue and Dark Sea Grey applied to a mostly complete airframe, some touch-ups being required.  I'm not gone on the kit transfers so I'll look out for a SAAF Buccaneer sheet.

Very best of luck with the remainder of the build.

• Thanks 1

I think I can beat you on the length of build time, I finished a Spitfire last year which was started before we left the UK, so pre 2005!

On 17/02/2022 at 10:49, Back in the Saddle said:

That is some setback and I’m glad to see you’re preserving with this one - I think it will be worth the effort!

Me too. 

John

• Thanks 1

Some progress, its been a long slog to get back to this state, filling and sanding but here we are.

The wings are on ! 

P1110293

P1110294

Intakes stripped of paint ready to be next on the fuselage.

P1110296

And I got these to replace the busted ones 

P1110295

Bit of painting to the engine faces.

P1110292

Go Ukraine !! 

• Like 5