Airfix Bucc, Not quite my first post

Dads203

• 13 years later...

Its been a while since my last update on this build :whistle: 

And its getting a bit of a joke really, blimey - 2008 was build start! This was actually my very first build post on BM. 

So I have decided to get this one finished or closer to finishing - can't promise and I have the right to change my mind.

Its been kicking around the workshop slowly getting damaged with bits being knocked off and covered in dust. 

I've repaired most of the damaged and broken parts now and gien the airframe a wash and some micromesh work to smooth out the primer.

P1110210

P1110211

P1110212

P1110213

P1110214

P1110215

As you can see she is in good shape (ish)  and probably not far from another new primer coat. I'll finish the F-16 and then get cracking so by the time its done 

Airfix should have released its gazillion quid new tool but in its RAF guise. 

• Like 13

• Dads203 changed the title to Airfix Bucc, Not quite my first post

Cheers chaps :thumbsup:

Work done on the old airframe so far, mostly fixing the broken bits and rejoining the popped seams along the fuselage, the 

old glue has become a bit brittle and unstable. I also think the plastic has become a little brittle just to add to the fun.

I added the Eduard PE hydraulic panel to the nose area thought it best to get it slightly flush by digging out the back with a chisel very carefully - Ping !

The join from the nose tip to the intakes just opened up again, a sign that the upper and lower fuselage halves are still under pressure from being warped 

after 18 years. I managed to sort it but it took a couple of hours to rectify.

P1110223

P1110224

Started to add the Airscale cockpit instrument decals just to make it look a bit better, much fun was had doing this. Had to carefully remove 18 years of dust and crap from the pit first.

P1110225

P1110226

P1110229

P1110230

Added the backward facing antenna to the rear end, the antenna elements were made from carbon rod.

P1110227

And started some basic detailing on the main gear bays.

P1110220

P1110221

More to follow folks ! 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

a sign that the upper and lower fuselage halves are still under pressure from being warped 

after 18 years.

:hmmm: Could this be the reason it's sat on the shelf all this time......

I can still remember you grunting about it :laugh:

Perhaps now you've snuck up behind it :fight:

Good luck taming the Buck

Stay safe

Kev

• Thanks 1

Cheers Kev :thumbsup:

Fitted the Master Pitot tonight, so much better than the kit part, I 've also been filling and sanding old seams that have opened up 

and my bodged attempt to scribe the canopy opening rail. its now filled with plastic card and ready to be sanded and scribed again, hopefully better 

that last time.  Antennas refitted and cleaned up on the spine once more and the jamming pod fitted with brass pins to the pylon. 

P1110231

P1110238

P1110232

P1110237

As for the load out I'm thinking of the Pave Spike pod and the jammer with two of these CBLS pods from Flightpath. These seem to be the typical piece time load out for the Bucc

with a dummy Sidewinder on one of the outer pylons. 

P1110233

P1110235

P1110236

Enjoy 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The world would be full of explosive Buccaneers, if more than a few dozen people ever got one stuck together.

I fear that if I ever dropped this kit - Someone could easily lose an eye. It would be like an ejection seat going off in close proximity.  

• Haha 1

Well resurrected, smashing job so far, although i see it's  been a bumpy ride ,up to yet ,no time like the present i expect with the new mold version just around the big  corner, (raf version probably 2023/4) sitting next to the bucc  it looks like your f-16 has been mis-scaled and is really 1/72 😁

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

sitting next to the bucc  it looks like your f-16 has been mis-scaled and is really 1/72 😁

It just shows how big the Bucc was, its massive compared to the Viper :frantic:

Cut out the rudder tonight so it can be fitted at a slight angle, brass pins fitted to the rudder so I can offset it slightly. Also sourced some plastic tube for some seamless exhausts 

that will get popped in after painting.  Main landing gear legs are getting some extra detail at the moment so photo's to follow later. 

P1110241

P1110242

P1110243

P1110245

P1110246

Enjoy 

• Like 5

18 years and counting :o Even the shelf of doom was offended by this! 😆

Extra brownie points for your dedication and perseverance Dan 👍

Looking good though Dan mate, dare i say most of the hard work is behind you! 🤥

I can almost feel my boxed unstarted Airfix Bucc giving me the evils!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

I shall never feel guilty about a stalled kit again!!!

Those e-seats like the Bizz BTW!!

Got to like a Buccaneer :lol:

Rob

The primer has certainly cured Rob that’s for sure :D

• Haha 1

A bit more done today on the saga that is the Bucc. 

Retractable tail bumper, kit part is ..... Well best not to talk about it, the mould has slipped so one half is in England and the other is in Wales its that bad.

Eduard to the rescue - Yeah !! 

Soldered up from 4 parts of the PE set. Yeah quite chuffed until I looked at the kit part for the hydraulic ram. It had to be scratched up from brass micro tubing.  So I have gone from 

four very fiddly pieces to nine :frantic:

Same issue with the tail hook, the mould was very badly slipped with the top and bottom halves not aligned at all, I've rescued it and added some wire details, more yet to add to the hook and tail bumper. 

P1110254

P1110256

P1110257

P1110258

P1110259

P1110260

Jamming pod get some black Mr Surfacer primer and then painted up, this is still vey rough and needs some TLC to sort it out.

P1110253

P1110261

• Like 6

This kit is fighting me all the way so I'm probably going to pack it away for another 18 years. 

Just dropped the bloody thing, bits have shattered some I've found and others are MIA. This really has really chuffed me right off now. :angry:

P1110264

P1110265

P1110263

P1110266

• Like 1
  • Sad 8