Historic Aircraft, Flying off Southport Beach

Ian

Wearing my Air Liaison Officers 'Hat', I was asked a few months back to work on the risk-assessment for a celebration of a Trans-Atlantic flight that ended (successfully) on the beach at Ainsdale. So (long-story-short) if you are in the vicinity of Southport/Birkdale/Ainsdale next weekend, watch-out for a Beech 18, and a number of other 1930's types circling the area looking to land on the beach.

Can't tell you what time, cos I'm not back at work yet - still on Paternity leave - will post some more details next Thursday when I get back-in. Weather permitting the event should run through the whole weekend. (Possibly) a great photo opportunity, if you want to meet-up, just come down to the beach and seek-out some worried looking Coastguards in a big blue/yellow 4x4, one of them will probably be me !

Ian

Hi Ian, that should be a great weekend. I remember in the late 40s, early 50s, watching the pleasure flight aircraft operating from the Southport beach, I think there were various Moth types, and twin and four engined DH Rapide type aircraft, after all these years the memory is a little dim. I do remember that my first ever flight was in a Dakota from Squires Gate in the late 40s. Happy days.

Robin.

As you were, event cancelled due to 'financial issues'. I'm betting the insurance companies have taken one look at this and taken fright !

Ian