Hobbycraft 1/32nd Sea Fury

Phil Reeder

I'm sure I saw one dumped at the bottom of a display cabinet at the stand for Model Airplane International when I was at the last Scalemodelworld. Should have asked them about it, but I think they were busy and I was tired. Before anyone says anything, it wasn't the Fisher resin model as I seem to recall it being on sprues. The panel lines looked very familiar to someone who had just finished the 1/48 Hobbycraft version.

Unfortunatly, I can't justify the price of a Fisher, no matter how good they are.

I just hope that when the Hobbycraft does finally arrive, it's afordable. :confused:

Even though you're getting it literally for half price, given the exchange rate? I mean, do what you will, but unless you build the HC POS OOTB, you're going to spend as much money on extras to make the HC monstrosity into a Sea Fury as you will on a Fisher kit, and you'll still have an HC POS when you're done.

The Fisher kit, pound for pound, is a great value.

J

Even though you're getting it literally for half price, given the exchange rate? I mean, do what you will, but unless you build the HC POS OOTB, you're going to spend as much money on extras to make the HC monstrosity into a Sea Fury as you will on a Fisher kit, and you'll still have an HC POS when you're done.

J

I see your point, but I think it's a bit specious to imply that you *have* to model to the standards of the Fisher kit.

22 quid is a lot less than the Fisher, and who says that you *have * to upgrade it to fisher standards, or would want to?

22 quid and some scratch building or even out of the box work seems pretty good value for some fun to me :-)

Ok, but not everyone here is going to have the budget or the inclination to spend $200 on the Fisher kit, so they're going to settle with the Hobbycraft "POS" and work their magic on it, and I truly doubt that, given the skill sof some of the people here, they will end up with a "POS".

J

But only for those who can afford it or who want a tailor-made product.

I couldn't find it, last week, listed on Hannant's as a future release, and, talking to a shop owner, he said that there seems to be some sort of difficulty between the importers, and Hobbycraft (don't know what, and I'm not going to speculate,) and there's little confidence that we'll ever see it in the U.K.

Edgar

I'd say order from Sprue Brothers here in the States, just like I have ordered from Hannants a few times, you'd probably get a real good price with The exchange rates and the lack of VAT over here!

http://store.spruebrothers.com/shared/Stor...et=products.asp

The kit is okay....just think of a scaled up 48th kit, that is why its around $40 USD not $70+.

Sick thing is it'll probably be less than The Trumpeter 48th due late this Spring

Matt

Carmichael's Sea Fury is just like an AVG Tomahawk, to the general modeling public it is what sells kits, no matter how sick and tired some of us may be of them. That is why God on the 8th day created aftermarket decal sheets.

I'm happy to see the wide range of choices given considering that many would never be considered by the aftermarket decal makers over here - if they'd ever pay attention to the kit in the first place. There is a cold weather RCN Sea Fury I'd love to do and may end up doing my last HC 48th in, just to be differnt considering the Trumpeter 48th will probably come with...you guessed it Carmichael's markings OOB later this year.

Matt - who just finished the 'Prop Perfection' boxing Sea Fury this weekend in Aussie markings.

You guys may want to try to source your kits from Canada. The retail for the kits in Canada is $39.99 canuck dollars, but in the states it is $48.00 'merican dollars. For the first time in my life, a kit is cheaper in Canada then the U.S. I'm almost in shock...

I should be back in Canada next weekend, so if I get the chance I may pick one up. Of course I need a 1/32 Sea Fury like I need a hole in my head...

Matt - Mike Grant has decals in 1/48 for the WEE Flight Sea Fury on his excellent RCN Sea Fury sheet. Just for fun here is a photo of the actual airplane.

1153945202.jpg

Jim

Talking of Carmichael's Sea Fury... still on the look out for some pics of his machine and any other aircraft from his Squadron from Korea.

Picked up the magnificent Air Britain FAA Fixed Wing Aircraft book last week, £35 from Sterling Books WsM, marvellous!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

I'll wait and see on this one. If it's a scaled up 1/48, it should be straightforward enough, and cheap. Speaking of cheap, yours truly picked up a Kitech knock off in 1/48 just before xmas, for £1.99 plus £4.99 postage from China. Add a decal sheet for £8.00 and its still £5.00 less than the Hobbycraft offering, when you can find one. I dunno, people moan about ebay! :D

Sprue Brothers does ship overseas from the US and has these in stock. It's a kit that has some great things going for it and some awful things as well, but I've bought all 3 versions and I like it more than not. The overall fit is fantastic, but the cockpit is.. well... circa 1970's Revell. Small cockpit opening and everything gets painted black anyway so I can live with it for the money. There are other issues as well, no one is ever going to confuse it with a Fisher kit. With 15 different schemes from 9 countries you could easily fill some shelves with Furies though!

J

I have to agree. I saw this kit at a recent club meeting and it's down right lame! Typical of Hobbycraft, they cut coners at every angle they could, producing a lame duck. It was pretty mediocre to say the least.

As nice as the Fisher kit is though, not a lot of people can afford it. With most having to settle for the hobbycraft poor Sea Fury offering, what can be done to bring it near to standards? Is there any aftermarket detail sets and/or corrections on the horizon? But like you mentioned, by the time you get done fixing the HC Sea Fury up, you might as well approach the cost of the Fisher kit.

Mike V

Edited by Mike V.@ Two Mikes Resin